: newbie questions on my new ride

raginazn616
07-05-2005, 06:39 PM
what's up guys...new to the toyota world. i've only been on the ls1 forum. i'm gettin ready to buy a 01 or 02 tacoma crew cab sr5 v6 auto with trd package. i'm gonna do 6" fabtech, 3" body lift, 2.5" daystar front coil spacers and blocks in the back to level it. 37" nitto mud grapplers, and probably 4.88 gears. since everybody here knows more than me about building a big friggin truck. can i get some input on what else i should do to support this much lift, or what i should change that's gonna be a problem. i just basically wanna know what i should do. thanks guys!

Dick Foster
07-05-2005, 07:00 PM
What do you intend to do with the truck. Unless the truck has a charger, you may want some taller gears. If you intend to actually wheel the truck, I suggest that you tone if down a little. IFS rigs that all jacked up like that have a way of rolling over.

raginazn616
07-05-2005, 07:09 PM
haha...that would suck. alright...i plan on wheelin a little (probly more than i think...jsut like street racing...ha), muddin, and then lookin damn big everywhere i go. taller=higher?

Paul
07-05-2005, 07:12 PM
I think you need to reconsider your entire plan. Try using the search function.

Dick Foster
07-05-2005, 07:22 PM
I suggest that you do just enough lift to run 33" tires, about 6" or so, and if you get into wheeling more, then go for the SAS. If you jack it way up there for looks then try to really wheel it, it won't look so good after the roll over. http://www.norcalttora.com/gallery/album85

It's also gonna be difficult trying to keep the CV axles intact with 37" tires if you wheel hard too.

However, if you are just going for looks on the street, this is probably not the board to be on as this one is more for the off road thing.

raginazn616
07-05-2005, 07:28 PM
i don't wanna be just for looks...but i don't wanna go out breakin shit al lthe time...every now and then will be alright...lol. how much would i be lookin at to convert the ifs to straight axle? what does sas stand for?

Paul
07-05-2005, 07:33 PM
SAS = Solid Axle Swap. Price ranges vary. I have heard of people spending upwards of 8 grand for the swap.

raginazn616
07-05-2005, 07:36 PM
how much then for a decent swap. not a all-out hardcore 4 wheelin job. just one that's gonna have a solid yota differential and what not...and will have some nice flex

Dick Foster
07-05-2005, 07:36 PM
Now you need to do a little searching. SAS Solid axle Swap in other words the straight axle conversion. The cost varys considerably depending on what kind of swap you do. and how you source parts. i.e. leaf springs, or links and coils etc. Try to keep the roll center as low as you can. In short you can either look like you wheel to the dummys on the street. That what we call a mall runner, or you can be a real wheeler. Take you pick.

BTW Toyota calls them Double Cabs.

ShowStop
07-05-2005, 08:13 PM
Try this combo if you don't go the SAS route:

4.88 gears
35" tires
5" Tuff Country lift
Donahoe coilovers (cranked to 2.5")
1" body lift
5" lift springs in rear + shackle

The body lift may not be necessary with the suspension lift, but it probably will be needed to prevent rubbing.

GOT COPE?
07-07-2005, 03:00 AM
taller=higher?

Dick meant shorter, as in lower gears for 37's. But trust us friends dont let friends drive IFS & 37's.

4.88's will be fine for 35's if you get a V6. May wanna go lower w/ a 4 banger.