: Body sealer

AxleIke
04-01-2009, 11:31 AM
I need some recomendations for body sealer. I plan to seal up everything I've done on the rig with good sealer.

I'm looking for the stuff that hardens up so it will add to the strength of the truck, and be okay for bedliner to stick to.

Thanks!

ike
04-01-2009, 11:41 AM
Nates advice from the cheap tricks thread on a similar topic.

Seam Sealer -

I would personally not recommend anything but a 2 part seam sealer. Seam sealers cannot be laid over bare metal, the metal must be prepped, and primed with self etching primer before laying seam sealer. The one part sealers are junk, and will just create more problems then they are worth in the long run, essentially it'll bring back what you already fixed. There are different 2 part sealers, some are more durable than others and each one has a different use. I don't know part numbers off of the top of my head but I'll check when I get into work tomorrow and get the part # for what will best suite your application. You're looking in the right direction with 3m products though, as the old saying goes "you get what you pay for". Spending a little more money NOW (body work/prep stages) will save you TONS of money down the road. Try to see if you can find someone you know to borrow a 2 part mixing gun, otherwise they are rather expensive to buy for a one time project.

Jacket
04-01-2009, 01:11 PM
Nates advice from the cheap tricks thread on a similar topic.

Isaac has me blocked. My threads mean nothing to him.... ;)

AxleIke
04-01-2009, 01:15 PM
Well that blows. I'm not looking to spend coin on a spray gun set up. Anyway to mix the two part without the damn gun?

AxleIke
04-01-2009, 01:15 PM
Isaac has me blocked. My threads mean nothing to him.... ;)

Which Isaac? Not me. I love you man!!!!!!!!! :D:D :D

mrdoug
04-01-2009, 03:49 PM
wait, the 2 part seam sealer that requires a gun is basically caulk if I understand it.. are you thinking of spraying sealant over the full area (vs just the seams)?

AxleIke
04-01-2009, 04:42 PM
I want to cover the whole area that I cut up and rewelded.

00regcab
04-01-2009, 06:14 PM
You're going to have to use seam sealer, which is a 2 part caulk type substance for best results Isaac. Its about the only thing I'd recommend using in your situation. Then going back and covering that with whatever you choose (line-x, herculiner, etc.)

AxleIke
04-01-2009, 08:19 PM
You're going to have to use seam sealer, which is a 2 part caulk type substance for best results Isaac. Its about the only thing I'd recommend using in your situation. Then going back and covering that with whatever you choose (line-x, herculiner, etc.)

So do I need the gun or not?

To be clear, this doesn't need to look AMAZING, as it will be covered.

my stuff is tack welded, and there is one section over a seam that had body sealant on it already, so I didn't weld it. I need this to be a sealant and strong.

Volcom
04-01-2009, 08:30 PM
So do I need the gun or not?

No gun needed. It comes in a caulking tube. I used the regular 3M single part seam sealer on my rear tubs and my firewall tubbing. Seams to work just fine! I don't need anything super fancy since the rocks will be taking out most of the body in the next couple of years :D

00regcab
04-03-2009, 10:46 PM
2 part doesnt really 'look' better per say, but it works better. It'll hold up longer, and be a little more resistant to heat, moisture, etc.

I talked to a rep that comes in to order supplies at my work, and she said they have a 1 part sealer (which can be used in any old caulking gun), that's pretty much identical to the OEM seam sealer around pinch welds, etc. So that would probably work decent for you as well, though i do not have any experience with said product.

I'll get a part # this weekend, or early next week.