TTORA Forum banner

Fj-80 axle question

3K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  LT. 
#1 ·
Hey guys am about to pick up a 91 land crusier, How I understand it, the axles are strong then my toyota axles right now with no longfeilds in it. Thinking of swapping them in my 79 pick-up any advise would be great. I have high steer in my truck and a rear locker. So what you think?
Thanks Cory

#2 ·
dude i cant tell you which is stronger, but i love my toy axles. There pretty hard to kill if you gusset your balls and put a gusset on the top of the axle. I would just upgrade parts as you break them, and keep your 79 axle under the 79.

#4 ·
I looked at putting an FJ-80 axle under my 85, and it just isn't really worth it. The steering is funky as trash, and your weak link after longs is still the hi-pinion 8" ring gear and pinion. However, if you have the 91, take the HP third out of it and put it in your 79. I love my HP, as it has cleared stuff when a low-pinion ate the rocks.

I'd say put ball gussets on your 79 and call it good. That's where most axle housings break according to my searching. I'm not convinced a top gusset is really worth it, either. That's how many people warp their housings when they weld it too quickly.

If you really want the tits, get a Diamond axle with some width added and custom Long inners.

That's probably more than you asked for :2cents:

#5 ·
hmm. I welded my top gusset on all the way and i havent managed to warp mine yet... lol, i have my ball gussets and diff armor on order right now, so we wil see if my luck runs out. lol.
but yeah, keep the 79 axle dude, just gusset that shit!:cool::cool::welder:

#6 ·
80 axles are stronger they are a little stronger then dana 60s from what ive been told, 91 wont be full float in the rear though, i believe the front will be, look for a 93 and up with fullfloats and lockers in front and rear if you really want them, my brother is looking to do a 80 front axle in his 86 mini truck

#8 ·
Please, do put up some backing for them being a little stronger than a 60. In the R&P department, they are weaker as they are using an 8" R&P.

Another thing to consider on an FJ-80 front is that they have drive flanges. Strong, but harsh on drivetrain components. You could swap in some mini truck hubs if you wanted better streetability, IIRC.

#9 ·
well thanks guys!!! Defiently help make my decision. Oh by the way my front axle is a 85'.

#11 ·
If you want to do the 80 series axle, you will want the 93 - 97 era. The 91/92 rear axle is still a semi-float design vs. the full floater which the 93/97 received. Also the 91/92 are still drum brakes while the 93/97 is disc brakes. Slee Off Road has designed a high-steer kit for it but I don't know exactly where he is at on production. The birfields are way stronger than the mini/60 series birfields.

The 80 series axle is 63" wms F/R

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.