: neutral when truck is off

jonwilli
04-05-2009, 10:22 PM
The other day I came back to the parking lot after boarding and found that I had a dead battery. I asked someone if they had time to give me a jump. I had no empty spots around me so I told him I would push my truck out to make it more accessible. Needless to say, I couldn't (to my knowledge) move the transmission (automatic) into neutral without the truck running. what's up with that and if it happens again, shouldn't there be a way to get it into neutral?

Also, I found that I drove 100 miles after it started and turned it off for 10 minutes and it wouldn't start again. After discussing with a few people, one had told me that it's not that uncommon for a battery to go without seeing any signs. I bought a new battery and all is back to normal. I know it isn't my alternator or I would have never made it 100 miles. Anything else I should be suspicious about?

BTW: 2002 xcab is what I drive

thefatkid
04-05-2009, 10:39 PM
There is a safety interlock for all auto transmissions. To bypass it (because it needs 12v to function) you need to remove the small cover in front and to the left of the auto shifter. With the fingernail sized cover removed, depress the white "button" and shift to neutral. I would make sure you parking brake is set prior to moving the shifter as a safety concern so your truck doesn't roll.

Avsfreak1234
04-05-2009, 11:00 PM
damn brian your good!

ike
04-05-2009, 11:42 PM
you would be suprised, i know the new trucks wont do it because they have way more electronics, but my 79 will go 400+ miles on just the battery with no alternator to charge it.

RedRunnertc
04-06-2009, 07:10 AM
Yeah, that's carbureted though. My '89 was the same way. FI will shut down in a hurry without a constant flow of juice.

thefatkid
04-06-2009, 07:26 AM
Fuel injection will shut down at about 8-9V. It will be very difficult to drive at less then 10 volts due to lower fuel pressure from a slow fuel pump. I've made it a hour on a full battery charge.