: Billet adapter or not?

mrdoug
04-07-2009, 03:42 PM
I'm currently trying to decide between ordering the Marlin MC07 and the MC08 adapters. From those with crawlers, is the extra $130 for billet aluminum worth it?

Planning on putting it behind a 5vz-r151 combo with 23 spline gear driven cases turning 35-37" tires.

ike
04-07-2009, 03:50 PM
For what everything already costs on those things why not get the best?

mrdoug
04-07-2009, 04:42 PM
Because of how much everything already costs.:)

I have no doubt that billet alum is stronger, it's the best, etc... but then so is a titanium frame. Just because it's the best, strongest doesn't mean I actually _need_ it.

$130 isn't going to kill me or the project, but I'm not sure that the standard mc07 is going to be a weak point in my setup and thought I'd check around with those who are running them and see if they've experienced problems with the non-billet adapter.

ike
04-07-2009, 04:57 PM
I have yet to hear of anyone having a problem with any of these adapters, but i dont know that many that have them, and of them i dont know if they are running the billet or not.

You may get more response, though also more bs, if you post this on the nat. board.

mrdoug
04-07-2009, 05:30 PM
I ran across this post on pirate.. from Chris Geiger who worked for Marlin at the time (2005)
http://pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=366164&highlight=mc07+billet

The MC08 Billet non rotated adapter was done for marketing purposes. Some other vendors were saying that their billet adapters were stronger than our cast MC07 adapter. So we took the drawings and made the MC08 from billet.

There is really nothing wrong with the MC07's being made from cast. After all the two t/cases you are bolting to the adapter are made from a similar cast material. So we recommend the MC07 over the MC08 because it cost much less. Going billet is just over kill (but they sure do look cool).

This was the type of thing I was looking for comments on. Seems to make sense to me. I am still wondering if anybody in this club has any experience with the non-billet adapter failing in such a way that they thought "damn, wish I'd got the billet adapter"

AxleIke
04-07-2009, 07:16 PM
Get the cast. It'll be just fine. Mine has no issues.

RedRunnertc
04-07-2009, 07:45 PM
From a metallurgical standpoint, there isn't a big difference between PROPERLY cast parts and forged parts. This part isn't real thick and chunky, so it should be easy to get a well-cast part.

I think the better topic to debate is rotated vs not.

mrdoug
04-07-2009, 08:59 PM
Ok, that's where I was leaning.. kind of like choosing grade 8 hardware to bolt together rusted steal.. doesn't really matter, that's not really the weak point, but sure sounds cool.

On to rotated or not.. I plan to clock 10* and shoot for a hi-pinion front with CV's front and rear on the t-case end (rear being a one piece with a clearanced CV joint from an 86 front drive shaft). Nearest I can tell, the real downside to clocked t-cases is the bending of the sticks, and the angle of the front driveshaft.

Russ mentioned clearance issues with the HP front (which I need to research), and I may not like the profile of the rear once piece, but that's where I'm going to start.

ike
04-07-2009, 09:42 PM
From what i have heard with your tranny, and dual cases you will be bending shift levers quite a bit regardless.

RedRunnertc
04-07-2009, 10:13 PM
Also, with rotated, you pretty much HAVE to use something like the FROR crossmember

mrdoug
04-07-2009, 10:17 PM
yup... but in this case, I was planning on using the fror t-case mount anyways, so it was no big deal, just a different option when ordering.

Of all the t-case mounts I saw when researching, the FROR style was the one I thought had the least number of downsides. But then, I'm starting to wonder how much vibration i'm going to feel with poly mounted everything (motor mounts, t-case mounts, cab mounts). That is the one thing I'm keeping my eye on and is subject to change during early shakeout.

ike
04-07-2009, 10:23 PM
Ah, just get a spring mounted seat!

Avsfreak1234
04-07-2009, 11:12 PM
or mount the cab on airbags like the bigrigs!

devinsixtyseven
04-08-2009, 11:01 AM
But then, I'm starting to wonder how much vibration i'm going to feel with poly mounted everything (motor mounts, t-case mounts, cab mounts)....insert cat and fleshlight joke here :rofl:

Volcom
04-08-2009, 01:27 PM
get the cast. It'll be just fine. Mine has no issues.

x2