: Bottle Jack

calebg8723
07-06-2005, 07:01 PM
I had to change a tire a couple of weeks ago, and when I got underneath the truck, I couldn't find the jack point. It was my passenger side rear tire, and from what I could tell the owner's manual directed me to place the bottle jack directly on the axle. As I could find no other point, thats what I did, but it seemed to me to be inherently unstable, cuz the axle is round and the jack has a squared off top. Is there an actual jack point, or am I right and we are just supposed to put the jack under the axle and hope it doesn't slip?

Oh and by the way, when I pulled out my stock spare, It appeared significantly larger than my other tires (1-2 inches). Has anyone else noticed this, or was it just the weight of the truck compressing the tire that was on the truck? I forgot to compare them after I got the tire off the truck while they were both down.

jrizman
07-06-2005, 07:08 PM
put the jack on the axle, thats fine... wait till you wheel a bit you will see highlifts going places that you'd never think they should go :)

as for the spare, might just look at the sidewall to see what size. id guess they are all the same. also, make sure the air pressure in each tire is the same for all 4 tires.

also, keep reading man, just keep reading and learning!

ShowStop
07-06-2005, 08:25 PM
Yeah, under the axle or under the bracket for the leaf springs.

calebg8723
07-06-2005, 09:06 PM
Putting the jack on the round axle seems awfully precarious on road. I guess I better get a hi-lift before I end up with a flat on the trail or in the mud and the stock jack is worthless.

hawaiianbro
07-06-2005, 10:24 PM
Hi-lift AND a set of rock sliders. That way you have much needed protection with a perfectly nice jack point for that new hi-lift you just bought.

hytenor
07-07-2005, 01:24 AM
Putting the jack on the round axle seems awfully precarious on road. I guess I better get a hi-lift before I end up with a flat on the trail or in the mud and the stock jack is worthless.

a hi-lift is useless unless you have sliders or solid aftermarket bumpers with jack points.

calebg8723
07-07-2005, 01:47 AM
Gotcha. Good, that just gives me a good excuse to take off my crappy nerf bars and put some sliders on.

hytenor
07-07-2005, 01:59 AM
Gotcha. Good, that just gives me a good excuse to take off my crappy nerf bars and put some sliders on.

that's the attitude we like to see here! :D

Bentup.com (norcal)
Demello (socal)

where are you located? we have ttora member fabbers from coast to coast :D

oops, GA, check with Gadget for East coast stuff to save some shipping.
also, post on the GA board!