: Transfer Case Situation

00regcab
04-09-2009, 07:28 PM
So as some may know, I recently got a killer deal on a totaled Tacoma, ext cab, 5vz (3.4), 5spd. It runs/drives but the frame is TRASHED. There's no body damage, truck appeared to have been jumped or severely over-loaded.

Anyways, onto the question. I just found out it has the 'push button' 4wd on the shifter for the t-case, i've done some reading and research but i've turned up nothing real specific to answer the question. Will my 2.7 t-case bolt to the back of an r150? I really do not want to have to deal with the 'push button' BS, to me its just more electrical shit to go wrong.

If the 2.7 case wont bolt to the 3.4 tranny, is there a way to do away with the solenoid and convert the push button case to a j-shift.

My 1st idea was:
bolt my 2.7 case on the end of the 3.4/r150tranny - no go

My 2nd idea (pending research)
swap the bell housing from my 2.7 trans/tcase with the 3.4 bell housing, and run my w59 trans with the 2.7 case behind the 3.4

Yota yard will trade me cases, but if i dont have to make the trip, id prefer not to.

Note:
It has push button on the SHIFTER, not in the dash. 4lo, you still have to physically shift the transfer case into low range.

I posted this up on the national board, got a couple good responses, and some BS responses. But figured id post here as well to get some insight from the local crowd.

bluetaco
04-09-2009, 09:00 PM
Off the top of my head ...I think the big hang up is the output for the ADD...I saw the compatibility charts on Marlin Crawlers website a while back and it doesn't work because of the shaft in the lower left that runs between the R150 tranny and t-case.

I didn't find the chart under the tech section when I went to look for a link to give you, so maybe check thru Marlins web page and forum for it!

Marlin Crawlers has all the info you should need, if worse comes to worse give them a quick call!

RedRunnertc
04-09-2009, 10:13 PM
Push button on the shifter allows for cheap 2LO I think. Pretty sure that's the tcase Jade has.

00regcab
04-09-2009, 10:19 PM
Well i've got a cheap 2-low with manual hubs anyway, Troy :p

I emailed yota yard, and contacted Troy (i think it was) at yota yard and i can swap t-cases with him for no charge it sounds like. Im really just afraid of the electronics failing in it.

Maybe i'll just run it until they do

Layton, i read through this:
http://marlincrawler.com/tech/transmission/transmission-gear-ratio-chart

not sure if that's what you were talking about, didnt see anything specifying the ADD portion of it. Puts more reason to why mine wont work, but it really doesnt matter if the ADD stuff is there, and not being used with my manual hubs, so i may just deal with it for now, and hope it doesnt fail.

mrdoug
04-09-2009, 10:51 PM
Never had a problem with mine. Shifts just fine. .02

RedRunnertc
04-09-2009, 10:57 PM
Yeah, but a real PITA to always be getting in and out to lock/unlock hubs.

00regcab
04-09-2009, 11:23 PM
Never had a problem with mine. Shifts just fine. .02

You have the push button 4wd thing on your t-case shifter? never noticed.

Troy, i guess its one of those things that you dont mind in your youth.... i should take advantage of having enough will power to lock/unlock my hubs before i catch up with you guys in age :lmao: :p

mrdoug
04-10-2009, 07:41 AM
yup.

Push button with the manual hubs works out great for me.

Avsfreak1234
04-10-2009, 12:40 PM
seems like push button with manual hubs would be the way to go. more options, 2LO mod, unlocked hubs. but then on the trail you wouldnt have to hop out and disco the hubs to get 2LO if you needed it. just a thought.

00regcab
04-10-2009, 05:34 PM
seems like push button with manual hubs would be the way to go. more options, 2LO mod, unlocked hubs. but then on the trail you wouldnt have to hop out and disco the hubs to get 2LO if you needed it. just a thought.

Yea, i think im just going to stick with the push button until it fucks up, if it fucks up.

ike
04-10-2009, 11:05 PM
Probably the best choice. Gives you more options, and they have a very low failure rate.

packrat1
04-16-2009, 04:09 PM
Yea, i think im just going to stick with the push button until it fucks up, if it fucks up.

Ive got a x-member to hold up that t case for you :D:D

spindleshanks
04-16-2009, 04:53 PM
Push button on the shifter allows for cheap 2LO I think. Pretty sure that's the tcase Jade has.

No, I think Jade has a regular J-shift style, then a cool little toggle switch to allow 2WD Lo, I guess it's wired to disconnect the ADD? It's a cool setup regardless.

00regcab
04-16-2009, 09:01 PM
Ive got a x-member to hold up that t case for you :D:D

Who made it? PM me pics.