: help bender ?s

natetru
04-12-2009, 05:05 PM
where is the bend a thon thread? bear i here you have a "modified hf bender....whats the part number and mod? i am on a mission to build a tube bed and possibly a semi cage maybe..........thanks!

twentyfootdaredevil
04-12-2009, 08:15 PM
What part of the state are you in?

I broke my back so I cant really do any work for awhile...anyway I have two JD2 benders w/ 1.75 and 1.5 dies you could use if you are anywhere near me.

natetru
04-13-2009, 06:30 AM
i am in elwood. it is north central indiana.... u?

NwiTACO
04-13-2009, 07:44 AM
Sorry nate, the thread name changed to project rockster. Basically, take the HF bender dies the next size down from the size tubing you are using, and grind it out to fit th OD of the tube you are using. get some silica sand to pack the tube with, and bend away!

natetru
04-13-2009, 08:16 AM
so grind down the 1.5 if using 1.75 tube? is it the model with jack or the one with handwheel?

NwiTACO
04-13-2009, 08:29 AM
I used the 12 ton jack model. I believe they have a 16 ton version as well. Oh, here ya go too:
http://www.harborfreightusa.com/usa/common/displayCoupon.do?week=prefs_comp&campaign=signup&page=coupon1.html&single=true&r=4137_2323&cust=99999999999&keycode=0000

We ground out the 1.25 pipe die for 1.5 mechanical tubing. Why you using 1.75" ? Sounds like alot of overkill...everyone else seems to use 1.5", .120 wall.

http://www.allprooffroad.com/pickuptrailarmor/pickupflatbedkit

natetru
04-13-2009, 08:34 AM
no 1.5 is fine, just thought id match the sliders/front bumper. but 1.5 will work for me. i dont wana go broke doing this so i am thinking of making bed frame outa steel , then the floor and stuff possibly composite decking instead of regular treated lumber? opinions?

natetru
04-13-2009, 08:37 AM
i like the look of that kit^ i should be able to make it cheaper than 500 bucks even buying myself a bender right?

NwiTACO
04-13-2009, 08:46 AM
I've been getting 24'-6" sticks of 1.5", .120 wall for around $70, so yeah you can do it way cheaper.

natetru
04-13-2009, 08:48 AM
where are you getting it? what type? dom or hrew?

NwiTACO
04-13-2009, 09:04 AM
AAA steel supply here by me. ASTM A-500, this is the basic standard for mechanical tubing which dictates the material properties, yield, etc.

I have been getting HREW, DOM is more $$$, but stronger, not material property wise, but because it hase no weld seam. HREW will be fine, the only real thing we use DOM for here at work, is boiler piping and hydraulic systems.

If the bed is braced/gusseted right, the tubing shouldn't flex enough to split a weld seam.

You can also "orient" the seams to remove them from the principal stress plane for the tube location within the bed. TMI probably, I know, can't help it sometimes. :D

natetru
04-13-2009, 09:09 AM
my local supply has 24-6 1.5x.120 for 70.81 a piece so i am good there, they also sell drops for 60cents a pound

Bear
04-13-2009, 09:30 AM
Nate, try Warner steel for your metal "Y" turned me on to them and it has worked out pretty good so far. Their drop is $.50 a pound and they have it organized pretty well also.

As for the Harbor Freight bender, "Y" also has mine right now, but he won't have it for very long, so if you are not quite ready for your project, and can wait a bit, you can use mine that already has the die modified.

But I also know the homemade bender projects isn't a bad idea either, just gets expensive due to having to buy the dye.

natetru
04-13-2009, 09:43 AM
if you would let me use yours then i need not spend extra money buying one. we all are on a budget right now, how long befroe he may be done? i need to get my bed off and "touch up" my frame and prep.

Bear
04-13-2009, 09:45 AM
I am not sure how long Bryan is going to have the bender, I do know he was waiting for it from when NWI was borrowing it, so I am not going to rush him over it.

But you are welcome to use it, I rather be used than collecting dust.

I do have a couple of projects I need to work on before take Over, but we have plenty of time, so if you want to borrow it, the timing is pretty good, as long as you can wait for Bryan to finish up which it sounds like you might be able with your touch up stuff.

natetru
04-13-2009, 09:47 AM
i am not wanting to rush anyone either, but if he needs it for awhile, i may go get one from hf....let me kno, i do appreciate it.........

NwiTACO
04-13-2009, 09:51 AM
They are only like 79.99 at HF then with the coupon...make one set of doors/sliders for someone, and like AC/DC says your "Back in Black"! :xrocker:

natetru
04-13-2009, 09:55 AM
hey mark, how are you notching the tube?

NwiTACO
04-13-2009, 09:57 AM
Just go to the hardware store and get a bi-metal hole saw. Like $10 for an 1.5" diameter. Just go slow and use cutting oil. Works great!

natetru
04-13-2009, 09:57 AM
hf has a notcher for 50 bucks

Bear
04-13-2009, 09:59 AM
i am not wanting to rush anyone either, but if he needs it for awhile, i may go get one from hf....let me kno, i do appreciate it.........I'll talk to Bryan today/tonight and check his plans. I don't think it should be an issue though for anyone.

Just go to the hardware store and get a bi-metal hole saw. Like $10 for an 1.5" diameter. Just go slow and use cutting oil. Works great!
Hmmm I wonder where you got the "slow and cutting oil" idea from? ;)

Bear
04-13-2009, 10:00 AM
can you give me a link to the notcher? I believe it is not much more than a vice that holds your drill and material in place. But I could be wrong

natetru
04-13-2009, 10:11 AM
basically you r correct, but it also has angle finder on it and may make it easier to get it right???
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=42324

Bear
04-13-2009, 10:14 AM
It's your money, but I think a $10 hole saw, a vice (already have) and a $10 angle finder is cheaper than that notcher.

I am not sure how it would work off a drill press as they have illustrated, like I said, for a hole saw, and the two other existing tools I already have, it is cheaper just to go "primitive" for your notching.

natetru
04-13-2009, 10:15 AM
thanks....save me $$

natetru
04-13-2009, 10:17 AM
mark for some reason my puter wont print the sku/barcode for the coupon???

Bear
04-13-2009, 10:18 AM
If your vice is like mine, you can rotate it around to basically any angle as well, then drill straight off that mark.

I do my notches this way, and double check the angle with my angle finder which I bought from Lowes for $9.99 if I remember the price right (it even has a magnet on it that sticks pretty good to my tubing)

natetru
04-13-2009, 10:26 AM
ok, got it to print. also i dont have a drill press thats why i thought it may work out better

NwiTACO
04-13-2009, 10:28 AM
I really like the notcher. Unfortunaely I dont have a drill press either.

Looks like it would help on some of the "longer" notches for the smaller joint angles. You can simplify the notching of said "long" notches by using a longer pilot bit to pierce both sides of the tube first to set the angle of the hole saw prior to the hole saw portion hitting the tube.

Nate thy getting to the coupon through this link, it might generate a new sku every time you link to it. And print out a few, make seperate purchases and save on every item :2cents:

Found this on the internet...good till June :google:
20% (http://www.harborfreightusa.com/usa/common/displayCoupon.do?week=prefs_comp&campaign=signup&page=coupon1.html&single=true&r=4137_2323&cust=99999999999&keycode=0000)

I use this every time I go there.

99sr54wd
04-13-2009, 11:58 AM
http://metalgeek.com/static/cope.pcgi

twentyfootdaredevil
04-13-2009, 05:46 PM
If you dont have a notcher... you should they pay for themselves quickly..you can make great notches with just an 4" angle grinder.

From what I have read and I might be wrong you guys are making this harder than it really needs to be.

btw a real bender is going to make your lives so much easier. A "pipe" bender just isnt in the same league.

How accurate can you guys reall get on you degrees of bend and bend placement?

NwiTACO
04-13-2009, 06:02 PM
I'm gettting pretty good actually...I'm not doubting the real benders are quicker and easier though...I lay it all out based on rdius etc, to determine the center of bends...an angle finder on both ends gets a pretty good reading...to at opposing 90's ensure in line bends...kinda a pain in the arse...

natetru
04-13-2009, 06:35 PM
twenty...are you willing to loan me your bender, maybe i can even give you a security deposit if need be. where are you located?

twentyfootdaredevil
04-13-2009, 07:33 PM
I am located near Evansville in Chandler, In about 15 mins from Interlake

95toyotan
04-13-2009, 07:39 PM
I spent an hour or so sunday working on the radius in the foot alittle more, I think it still needs alittle more polishing up before I'll be satisfied with it. I'm working ten + hours a day on top of being on call this week so I don't think I'll actually get to bend any tube until this weekend, but hopefully it won't take me too long.

But remember natetru, NWI would have a better idea of it than me but we haven't really used this bender to bend long pieces of tube with multiple 90* bends and such, and then so far we have been packing the tube with sand and then removing. So I'm just wandering how well/easy that would work for long pieces with multiple bends like say on a cage?:dunno:

They seem to work very well for what nwi did, but something bigger??So just think of that before you buy. Borrow/renting a jd2 would be ideal for bigger projects!...What do you think Mark?

And as far as the notcher, a drill and a hole saw works great but if I were gonna do alot of notches, I'm thinkin i'd get a notcher to help hold the drill/bit straight and steady. my:2cents:

My longest reply ever!!
:saw::welder:

natetru
04-13-2009, 07:51 PM
so twenty....rent/borrow?

twentyfootdaredevil
04-13-2009, 08:34 PM
I need some kind of assurance it will make its way back to my shop but you can borrow it.

Just keep me in mind when you are ordering parts!!

I have 1.75 X5.5 1.75X6.5 1.5 X 4.5 1.5X 5.5 dies available right now.

I origonally thought I would loan it out as long as you bought a die but....times are tight right now for everyone so I can give alittle here and there.

You can PM me for contact info.

twentyfootdaredevil
04-13-2009, 08:36 PM
I even have a spare notcher you can use but you will need to buy a new hole saw for it.

btw you guys that use a hole saw w/out a notcher how are you notching the ends? Are you leaving your tube long and cutting the tube with the saw?

natetru
04-13-2009, 08:40 PM
you tell me what size hole saws you want and i will purchase a couple and send the new ones home with the equipment. also how much are the dies?

twentyfootdaredevil
04-13-2009, 10:29 PM
it depends on the die..looks like the die I need now runs about $225

What size tube were you going to use?

Also if you want I could design your project in Bend Tech Pro and give you all your measurements and degrees of bends for your project.

There woul dbe no thinking at all. You would cut tube to the length I tell you and bend to the degree I tell you and I can even print out notching papers to show you were to notch at.

NO wasted tube and no math just bend and forget!!

twentyfootdaredevil
04-13-2009, 10:35 PM
So what all were you wanting to get done? Bed and exocage?

If this is your first project it is a big one!

I wonder if you wouldnt be money ahead bringing your truck here and having a work party and knocking this out pretty quick?

I know I am out of the way but I could get some help over here and get this knocked out in no time.

Ive got this miller 252 that hasnt seen an arc for two weeks Im sure it feels like I forgot about it!!!

gtrotter
04-13-2009, 10:38 PM
Heck, I would show up for that to help out.

twentyfootdaredevil
04-13-2009, 10:41 PM
your welcome anytime.

If you have projects for your truck just let me know what we can do for you as well.

natetru
04-14-2009, 12:08 AM
thanks for the offer, and that would be great but i am on 7 day schedule for at least a month so im only off in the mornings......lets see what we can figure out.........

Bear
04-14-2009, 08:27 AM
If you dont have a notcher... you should they pay for themselves quickly..you can make great notches with just an 4" angle grinder.

From what I have read and I might be wrong you guys are making this harder than it really needs to be.

btw a real bender is going to make your lives so much easier. A "pipe" bender just isnt in the same league.

How accurate can you guys reall get on you degrees of bend and bend placement?Josh, I totally agree, that the proper equipment per project works the absolute best. But when you are not in the "profession" you sometimes have to improvise and/or do the best you can with what your budget dictates.

If I was fabricating more than i do as a hobby, I would definitely invest in a tube bender, but I am almost finished with my armor projects and can not justify the expense of a bender for what little is left.

Regarding your questions about how I/we notch the tubing. I can only speak for myself, but personally, what I do is notch the tubing first, and measure from the "cut" for the first piece, then notch the other end. Typically I am doing "mirrored" pieces so one side's angle generally will be duplicated for a second piece etc. If that does not work, then a little waste has to be sacrificed. But it is minimal.

For the most part my accuracy is pretty good, but the vice I have also lends in both the accuracy factor as well as keeping the excess waste down. The vice I have does allow for gripping round stock as well as flat, and the head rotates and has an accurate angle guide, which I also back up with my angle finder each and every cut.

I have been making "freehand" notches without a drill press for so many years, I have actually gotten decent at doing so.

So what all were you wanting to get done? Bed and exocage?

If this is your first project it is a big one!

I wonder if you wouldnt be money ahead bringing your truck here and having a work party and knocking this out pretty quick?

I know I am out of the way but I could get some help over here and get this knocked out in no time.

Ive got this miller 252 that hasnt seen an arc for two weeks Im sure it feels like I forgot about it!!! I agree! but I don't think this is Nates first "rodeo" but I could be wrong and should not speak out of turn.

so twenty....rent/borrow?

If scheduling does work out, I am willing to travel down to Josh's place to assist where I can, or generally just help with anything. But I have to add, this time of year is my busy season at work, and last year my boss refused to understand why I didnt work many weekends in addition to staying late.

Never could impress upon her that I knew what I was doing and did not require extra hours as the other morons in my department. Plainly speaking, I might have to put in some OT just to pacify her this year. So my scheduling may be a bit more difficult. But I will, like I said, help where I can on the project(s)

natetru
04-14-2009, 09:16 AM
unfortunatly for my social life i am going to be working the next month straight( but good that i have a job that is prosperus enuff to need me) so there is def no time to drive down and spend a day or two. if my bed sales qucikly enuff maybe i should just invest in the allpro kit to allow the flatbed to fit my schedule??

Bear
04-14-2009, 09:21 AM
wheres the fun in that? All pro does have a nice bed, you still need to build one yourself. :D

natetru
04-14-2009, 09:25 AM
i kno, but i am an instant gratification kinda guy. i dont wana drag it out any longer than i have to

Bear
04-14-2009, 09:30 AM
i kno, but i am an instant gratification kinda guy. i dont wana drag it out any longer than i have to

theres our difference :D But I have known that from the start! you have no patience. :lmao:

I do things as cheap as I can, and enjoy the end results of my labors more than wanting to get things done fast.

Don't get me wrong, I want things done as soon as possible, I just apply patience enough to allow myself to do most of my own "work"

NwiTACO
04-14-2009, 09:41 AM
Build it yourself, end of discussion.

the Great Taco has spoken...

natetru
04-14-2009, 09:41 AM
i kno, the grasshopper needs patience. i will be replacing a bad wheel bearing on my jimmy when thee rain stops, then i plan on pulling the bed on thursday to start assessing and calculatin and deducting......

twenty, with my schedule, i wouldnt be able to work out anything except borrowing your bender. i wont be able to afford buying you a new die but maybe we can work something else out. if not, no problem i will fight the hf bender.....either way i will prevail!! lol

natetru
04-14-2009, 09:42 AM
yes master^^

NwiTACO
04-14-2009, 09:42 AM
...right away master...

Bear
04-14-2009, 09:43 AM
Igor, what are you rambling about now? :D ;)

brinner
04-14-2009, 09:47 AM

you know who installed my first lift? an auto shop down the road from me..........if you have the TIME, SKILL & TOOLS then build it yourself.....if you dont...there isnt much shame in buying something that all you have to do is weld together....its your truck....dont be pressured into doing something you dont want.

twentyfootdaredevil
04-14-2009, 09:49 AM
If the All Pro bed is what you want..that is easy.

I could design that for you and you could bend it yourself or I could bend it and you or someone else could pick iy up and weld it together yourself.

And I am not asking for a die....dont worry about that. I just like to help out when I can.

natetru
04-14-2009, 09:50 AM
i believe i have the skill, time i am pressed for, and tools may need to be borrowed, but if it plays out as i see it in my head i should be ok......no one chimed in about the composite decking tho? i want to save money and weight, but be a little diff than treated wood deck?

twentyfootdaredevil
04-14-2009, 09:53 AM
btw when i said the bed was easy that means I need GOOD measurements on your end to start with!!

And like I said before...dont forget about me when you order parts!

Most times I sell cheaper than everyone else. There are some products that I cant get as good of a deal as other vendors and when that happens I am always up front about it and let you know where the deals are.

natetru
04-14-2009, 09:55 AM
is your program pretty close? would you bend and i be able to install with minimal changes? my idea is to cut rear of frame off behind spring mount and box it in. then have floor of bed sit 4-5 inches above the hump in frame were axle is and sink my poly toolbox down into floor behind the cab.

natetru
04-14-2009, 09:57 AM
i have full ability to order things from vendors like msc and others. i also have a pretty good supply of bearings and such because i am an industrial machine repairman and can get things thru my shop

twentyfootdaredevil
04-14-2009, 09:58 AM
I can VERY close as long as you give me the right measurements!!

natetru
04-14-2009, 10:00 AM
scratch sinking the box.....fuel tank!!

twentyfootdaredevil
04-14-2009, 10:00 AM
I will be able to draw it out complete and you can see the finsihed product.

That way you will know if you like it or not.

btw what size tube are you wanting? Id suggest 1.75X5.5 myself

natetru
04-14-2009, 10:01 AM
i want to do something like this as a start
http://dobi.fluidgravity.com/images/truck/flatbed4.jpg

natetru
04-14-2009, 10:02 AM
eventually to tie into sliders, and over cab down to front bumper.....but the bed is def first

twentyfootdaredevil
04-14-2009, 10:04 AM
Do you want exactly like to AP kit?

natetru
04-14-2009, 10:04 AM
but i really like this!
http://www.4x4wire.com/toyota/tech/tube_bed/mounted_bed.jpg

natetru
04-14-2009, 10:07 AM
the all pro kit would work fine for me. i can add any little details i want to it after getting the main bed

Bear
04-14-2009, 10:09 AM
but i really like this!

I like that one also, but it is your truck, like Brinner stated, don't let anyone pressure you into anything, not that anyone here is actually trying.

I think what is happening is that you have a "fun" yet involved project so everyone wants to either see it completed or help in making it happen.

natetru
04-14-2009, 10:16 AM

i really think i want to go this route. but twenty, if you are board feel free to draw something up and send it to me. but remember i want to keep cost below the ap kit for sure. give me estimate on the design you come up with also....

bulletsnbooty@yahoo.com

natetru
04-14-2009, 10:18 AM
well Ill be....looky here
http://www.4x4wire.com/toyota/tech/tube_bed/

NwiTACO
04-14-2009, 10:23 AM
Just had to say it, I like the email addy Nate!

twentyfootdaredevil
04-14-2009, 10:25 AM
All of these beds are easy to build but the ones you like best are mainly square tube..I cant help you there w/ bend tech its for tube bending.

The few bends needed look like they would be measured after you were done with the base of the bed.

natetru
04-14-2009, 10:36 AM
twenty: i think that is what i am looking for....those runners and the cab hoop should be able to be done with a hf i would hope, or if i get the main done i can contact you for the round........

nwi: i thought you would!

twentyfootdaredevil
04-14-2009, 10:46 AM
Also the square tube bed looks like it is going to cost more than just your basic tube bed...im not talking labor I am refering to the steel you will need.

Do you have a good hook up on steel around there?

I would waste my money on the .188 main rails he had. I would just use .120 its cheaper and plenty strong.

Also Carl StClair is fairly close to where you are but I dont know what he has going on these days. If you just wanted the hoop bent and the top rails he might treat you right and bend those pretty cheap...MIGHT

It sucks you are so far away I could build that bed in a day!!

Bear
04-14-2009, 10:54 AM
Just for reference for you. (not persuading in either direction) with the HF bender, I was able to bend an approximate 15 foot tube into my stinger bar on my front bumper.

It was a pain in the ass but it can be done.

I also think that design of bed looks nice as I mentioned before, but maybe it is because I have a lot of "square tubing" on my truck that I am getting tired of or something. But I think that design in round tubing would actually look even better!

speaking of square tubing, as I said I have a lot of it on my truck. My sliders are square .188 walled. I have to agree with Josh, that would be complete over kill for a flat bed, in addition the added weight would not be worth it. and .120 would be more than enough for your purposes. as much force as it would take to bend any .120, after it being gusseted in that design, I don't think .188 would hold up much better. (meaning it is going to take a hellva lot of force to even bend the .120)

natetru
04-14-2009, 10:55 AM
where is carl located? i will call the local steel supply now and price it

natetru
04-14-2009, 11:00 AM
1.5x1.5x.120= 38.40 per 24 footer! i can afford that for sure!!!!

twentyfootdaredevil
04-14-2009, 11:07 AM
greenwood, in Outback Offroad Gear

Like I said I dont know his business I just know him from being on the trail.

I would would bet the hf bender wont do that hoop on the bed very accurate...but if someone is used to it and can figure their bends correctly it might!

That hoop is alot different than bending two bends in the same plane such as a rock slider.

Bear
04-14-2009, 11:17 AM
who did you call on your metal prices?

Bear
04-14-2009, 11:19 AM
some of our members were "boycotting" Outback due to their excessive turn around times if I remember right.

Might be something to investigate before setting Nate's plans in stone.

gtrotter
04-14-2009, 11:22 AM
Hey twenty, you wouldn't happen to have a spot to store a truck at would you? I can pay a monthly or weekly fee to keep my truck there.

twentyfootdaredevil
04-14-2009, 11:24 AM
some of our members were "boycotting" Outback due to their excessive turn around times if I remember right.

Might be something to investigate before setting Nate's plans in stone.

I have heard alot about this but....one hoop you would think he could do in short order. I would have to go into this further in a PM not on an open forum!

twentyfootdaredevil
04-14-2009, 11:26 AM
Hey twenty, you wouldn't happen to have a spot to store a truck at would you? I can pay a monthly or weekly fee to keep my truck there.

Not really I have to keep space open for builds. What did you have in mind?

gtrotter
04-14-2009, 11:34 AM
I am going to look at an 88 toy with a flatbed today that has the 22re and 5 speed, reg cab. I don't really have a place to put it, anywhere on my property. I didn't know if you might have a spot behind your building or anywhere in the property really to put it. Outside would work for me because this will just be a trail truck.

twentyfootdaredevil
04-14-2009, 11:47 AM
No I really dont have space for anything like that right now.

Sorry wish I could be of more help!

gtrotter
04-14-2009, 11:48 AM
It's no problem, just trying out all my options. Worst comes to worst, I'll just hold off until summer to pick up something, maybe give me more time to find a solid axle truck.

natetru
04-14-2009, 02:22 PM
hey bear i called mofab in anderson....40 for 1.5 sq..........70 for round!! both r 24 footers

NwiTACO
04-14-2009, 02:25 PM
Damn! I should start using sq tube...

Bear
04-14-2009, 02:26 PM
Dave (jeep crasher) took me out to mofab to get metal when I was doing my solid axle swap. I basically built all my brackets with their metal.

They have a really organized "drop room" I would not be surprised if you can even do better than the prices you already got by visiting their drop before ordering.

I stopped using them so much because of the drive for me. Going with Warner steel, I can pick up my order during my lunch break but with Mofab, I have to wait until Saturdays due to the drive time etc.

Bear
04-14-2009, 02:27 PM
LOL! learning my little secrets now are we? Turn it on angle as Brinner did his sliders and you have the strength and price of square and a unique look that is close to round.

natetru
04-14-2009, 03:00 PM
i am only 20 miles from mofab so if anyone needs something from there drop or otherwise let me kno! i will be checking out the drop room, i heard it was pretty good. got my wheel bearing changed on the jimmy in the rain today, so i will be pulling the bed off on thursday to start prepping

Bear
04-14-2009, 03:11 PM
I suppose you will be using a cherry picker to get the bed off? only way I see it coming off if you are working by yourself.

I wish the damn rain would stop. I need to finish up the details on the trailer but with the rain, I can't paint, I can't climb under it so I am basically screwed!

at least with the taco, I can throw up a tarp for a tent, with the trailer on the street that is all but impossible.

natetru
04-14-2009, 03:30 PM
actually, the buddy i took as my ride along this past run is driving an hour to help me. he had a blast, i think we are going to go pick up a lil tracker for him next week.

NwiTACO
04-14-2009, 03:40 PM
That doesn't sound like it's made by Toyota...:rolleyes: :lmao:

natetru
04-14-2009, 03:41 PM
i could get him in one if youguys kno of a good deal to be had right now with not alot of problems and not a lot of coin!

NwiTACO
04-14-2009, 03:49 PM
I was just playing...wheeling first, Toyota second! However i prefer the company of Yota's!

natetru
04-14-2009, 04:03 PM
its like when i ride my motorcycle, i wave to all who ride, jap/harley/crotch rocket....if you got it-ride it....and if you got a 4wd---either wheel it---or keep it in the garage!

natetru
04-14-2009, 04:34 PM
gtrotter...are you going to be getting said 88 truck? if not please pass on the info about it.

natetru
04-14-2009, 05:47 PM
gtrotter...not tryin to snake you outa ur find just want info if ur not going to get it

twentyfootdaredevil
04-14-2009, 06:44 PM
I think there are acouple of trucks down here that are in that price range. If any of them were 79-83 I would be all over them.

Hell right now im thinking about going to phoenix to buy a rust free truck!!

gtrotter
04-14-2009, 07:04 PM
Info on the 88

http://evansville.craigslist.org/cto/1119000441.html

natetru
04-14-2009, 07:45 PM
gtrotter: thanks, i am going to get some info on it tonite!

gtrotter
04-14-2009, 08:07 PM
no problem I hope it turns out to be a good truck> I would have bought it, but I don't have the room.

95toyotan
04-14-2009, 08:14 PM
Here's a really nice one out here by me!

http://indianapolis.craigslist.org/cto/1113798963.html

Bear
04-15-2009, 08:11 AM
is it just me or does the bed look like it is slanting down in the rear?

natetru
04-15-2009, 09:13 AM
ok, ok, so he may not be buying a tracker.....he will be going to look/buy the truck in evansville. i was going to take him before work 2mro but it looks like a 4 hour drive each way so i am not able to myself..
gtrotter- have you actually seen the truck?

twentyfootdaredevil
04-15-2009, 10:17 AM
before you drive four hrs do you want me to try and have a look at it?

gtrotter
04-15-2009, 10:44 AM
I haven't looked at the truck in person so I have no idea what it is like. Twenty might have a better idea of what to be looking for than I do.

natetru
04-15-2009, 11:50 AM
twenty: i had the guy send me a pic... glad i did..i would have been pissed to drive four hours to look at a damn 2 WHEEL DRIVE!!!!!

Bear
04-15-2009, 11:55 AM
YEA! I learned that lesson the hard way. I bought that green Fj from internet photos, If I had seen it in person…I wouldn't have!

Two wheel drive isn't a bad thing…if you don't mind rebuilding the whole enchilada

twentyfootdaredevil
04-15-2009, 12:33 PM
Does your friend plan to do a full buildup right away?

If so a 2wd isnt that bad of an option...

natetru
04-15-2009, 12:41 PM
also looking for " instant gratification"

gtrotter
04-15-2009, 01:27 PM
twenty: i had the guy send me a pic... glad i did..i would have been pissed to drive four hours to look at a damn 2 WHEEL DRIVE!!!!!

wow, didn't know that...originally the truck was advertised as a 4x4 so I dunno what he was trying to pull.

NwiTACO
04-16-2009, 01:55 PM
hey bear i called mofab in anderson....40 for 1.5 sq..........70 for round!! both r 24 footers

Please give me a phone number...my supplier must be smokin his crack pipe again!

$93.91 for a 20' length of 2x2x .120 Wall sqaure tube :eek:

I need one 20' length for the main runs and legs under the edge of the Jeep tub, then round for the rest...but he can keep it for that much!

Bear
04-16-2009, 02:05 PM
If I remember right, Mofab will not quote you what they have in stock regarding their drop room.

the drop room is where the good prices are.

sorry I don't have the number handy, will have to look it up.

natetru
04-16-2009, 02:17 PM
765 649 5577...........mofab

well my buddy isnt gona be driving a tracker.....we just went and picked up a 1988 4 runner.........paid a lil much for it, but it will do just fine. he would like to be included in InTTORA but has no computer at this time..........what do ya guys say? "welcome"??

Bear
04-16-2009, 02:19 PM
No computer????? how does he expect to web wheel then? :D afterall that is all we are anyway…a bunch of web wheelers!

Actually if he wants to join, have him use your computer to sign up with the national club, and we will work around the computer issues.

So how much work does the runner need?

natetru
04-16-2009, 02:19 PM
also have prospective buyer for my bed........offer stands at brand new in box lockrite and 300 cash! will be coming saturday to look/buy( i hope)

natetru
04-16-2009, 02:20 PM
lil body work, mechanically seems to be in great shape, plus being around same year as mine i am gaining experience for him also...

Bear
04-16-2009, 02:21 PM
Well there you go! two heads better than one when it comes to mechanics!

is the runner bone stock or anything "added" to it.

Does your friend have a name or is he just actually your alter ego? :D

NwiTACO
04-16-2009, 02:22 PM
Tell him welcome from us I mean the northerner! :xrocker:
When are we gonna christen that thing...any pics?...any plans for the mods...:xpopcorn:

bstoocool
04-16-2009, 02:23 PM
Sweet another runner, we are taking over slowly.

Bear
04-16-2009, 02:23 PM
damn! good luck! I hope that deal goes threw for you! sounds like a pretty good offer!

no beer included? that is the only downer part. :D

Bear
04-16-2009, 02:25 PM
hmmmm:mad: if only I could get my crate running, I would like to put you back in place! :D

I seem to remember having a certain 4 runner on the business end of my winch if I recall right!

without us taco/pickups, who would be dragging you runners with the low hanging juice cans over all those rocks and tree roots? :flipoff1:

NwiTACO
04-16-2009, 02:28 PM
765 649 5577...........mofab

well my buddy isnt gona be driving a tracker.....we just went and picked up a 1988 4 runner.........paid a lil much for it, but it will do just fine. he would like to be included in InTTORA but has no computer at this time..........what do ya guys say? "welcome"??

Now I'm pissed...Mofab quotes me $2.66/ft vs my local suppliers $4.69/ft. WTF I live next to the f$%^in steel mills! Just like we live next to the refinery and have the highest national average for gasoline!

bstoocool
04-16-2009, 02:32 PM
hmmmm:mad: if only I could get my crate running, I would like to put you back in place! :D

I seem to remember having a certain 4 runner on the business end of my winch if I recall right!

without us taco/pickups, who would be dragging you runners with the low hanging juice cans over all those rocks and tree roots? :flipoff1:

True, but I sit a little higher now. Maybe some day I will get to pull you out. Return the favor so to speak.

natetru
04-16-2009, 02:49 PM
nwi when do you need your steel? i could probly pick it up whenever i go git mine??????
it is pretty stock with some 31 mt tires, his name is charlie, he rode with me last week at badlands and was hooooooked!

Bear
04-16-2009, 02:51 PM
maybe, if I can ever figure out what is going on with the damn thing!

maybe then I'll have to use your rig as an anchor point to roll myself over (probably with my luck)

Bear
04-16-2009, 02:53 PM
try calling this number for a price comparison 317/789-1733 might even be cheaper.

you have got to get to some price that will make it feasible to drive that far for a decent price.

NwiTACO
04-16-2009, 03:05 PM
try calling this number for a price comparison 317/789-1733 might even be cheaper.

you have got to get to some price that will make it feasible to drive that far for a decent price.

$2/ft, even cheaper :(

nate, I was gonna try to start this weekend, but looks like I am going to have to hunt down someone local with a decent price. As bear said I have to save alot to justify a 2+ hour drive each way...

99sr54wd
04-16-2009, 05:55 PM
i have a milwaukee handheld bandsaw you guys are more than welcome to borrow it if needed. i'm going to bear's cave tomorrow probably i can drop it off there.

NwiTACO
04-20-2009, 11:04 AM
Got me a HF bender this weekend. I reinforced the frame on it as well. I will post some pictures tomorrow if I can remember...

Bear
04-20-2009, 03:45 PM
It was a smart decision to go ahead and reenforce the base/frame. I bent mine the very first time I used it.

also watch the top of the hydraulic jack also. If you do not have the die sitting square, it will rock and snap the top of the jack head off. Luckily mine did not break as so you could not still use it, but it could have.

NwiTACO
04-20-2009, 03:50 PM
Yeah, I reinforced it based upon using yours first. I have yet to reinforce the bottom plate so it doesn't "pull" up as yours did, but I have made the uprights into "T" sections to gain some lateral rigidity. next is the bottom plate.

Bear
04-20-2009, 03:57 PM
at one time I had some 5/16" left over from my brackets, I was going to weld to the bottom of mine, but never got around to it.

I think the base flexing is a bigger concern to me than the frame bending. but it is not a bad idea to reenforce those either!

bstoocool
04-20-2009, 05:33 PM
Definitely post up some pics, I would like to see it.

NwiTACO
04-23-2009, 08:19 AM
OK, heres some pictures of the frame reinforcement, base will be reinforced soon:

http://i281.photobucket.com/albums/kk235/nwitaco/S7300048.jpg

http://i281.photobucket.com/albums/kk235/nwitaco/S7300049.jpg

This thing doesn't budge at all side to side anymore...:D

And don't mock the hilbilly paintjob, was just trying to cover the fresh steel, and I had some left over JD green!

Bear
04-23-2009, 08:32 AM
Paint the main body Yellow and it will be perfect. :flipoff3:

99sr54wd
04-23-2009, 12:12 PM
just a little thought here, I'd drill two more holes on the 2 other corners of jack's base to add 2 more bolts, so totally of 4 bolts to hold the jack bottom to reduce the risk of tilting while under load.

Bear
04-23-2009, 12:30 PM
I am not sure how Mark is mounting/using his bender. but my pipe bender is only held to a surface by c clamps. I can't afford the work space to permanently secure my bender I use less than 5% of the time.

NwiTACO
05-01-2009, 09:49 AM
Hey nate, got any of that 1 1/2" round left? I'll but it from you?