: purchase

mr. cheyne
07-07-2005, 04:58 PM
ive been looking into getting a littler truck such as a tacoma or a ford ranger. i have a vw gti right now but it doesnt exactly suit my needs. fun as hell to drive though. i am looking to get a 4x4 tacoma trd no prerunnner becasue i want 4x4 and a manual. i would also not mind getting a 4x4 ranger edge. which do you guys think is the best choice, i know this is a tacoma forum so it will be biased towords tacomas but i would like to know what is better on both. i would like to get the v6 model in either one, but i was just reading a forum, about the 2.7 liter toyota engine and how good it is, is the extra power really needed or is it just for fun. any info appreciated, thanks

xmikedentx
07-07-2005, 05:09 PM
I have the 3.4 V6, Manual, 4x4. You notice the extra power when pulling 5th gear up a hill, (you dont have to downshift to 4th), and when wheelin. My budy has a ranger 4x4 and he's had to replce lots of parts (which are way overpriced, such as rotors for example).

Of course get a Tacoma! :2cents:

mr. cheyne
07-07-2005, 05:17 PM
yeah i like them both but figured the ranger would be less reliable than the tacoma.

farakon
07-07-2005, 05:36 PM
Fix Or Repair Daily

atwinda
07-07-2005, 05:37 PM
Over ten years ago, my dad got a 94 4x4 Ranger, and at the same time an employee of his bought a 4x4 toyota pickup. My dad has dumped more money into the ranger, and it doesn't run anymore, while the toyota is still running around getting lumber, etc.. They both beat the crap outta them.

ShowStop
07-07-2005, 06:40 PM
Ford generally has much better warranty service then Toyota, but their smaller engine reliability is still pretty crappy. Ford warranty service with Toyota engine reliablity would be my choice. :D

TacoCrazy
07-07-2005, 07:09 PM
I have personally owned both and let me tell you...There is NO comparison between the two..I wouldn't give you a nickel for that Ranger POS..How does 3.08 gears strike you..That's what my 94' 4.0 4x4 5spd had!! What a joke, made for the highway, not anywhere else..It had more stuff replaced under warranty than my 8 yr old Taco will ever see..Just my .02..Wouldn't give up the Yota for anything!

Dick Foster
07-07-2005, 07:20 PM
I think the warranty service thing is more determined by the dealership you land in rather than the OEM. Both have great, normal, bad and just plain shitty dealerships.

cedarbarn
07-07-2005, 07:35 PM
ive been looking into getting a littler truck such as a tacoma or a ford ranger. i have a vw gti right now but it doesnt exactly suit my needs. fun as hell to drive though. i am looking to get a 4x4 tacoma trd no prerunnner becasue i want 4x4 and a manual. i would also not mind getting a 4x4 ranger edge. which do you guys think is the best choice, i know this is a tacoma forum so it will be biased towords tacomas but i would like to know what is better on both. i would like to get the v6 model in either one, but i was just reading a forum, about the 2.7 liter toyota engine and how good it is, is the extra power really needed or is it just for fun. any info appreciated, thanks

Buy the Toyota!

mr. cheyne
07-07-2005, 09:06 PM
well it definitly seems liek teh toyota is the way to go dependability wise and i like the looks of the toyota better than the ranger. thanks for the help. ill fill you guys in on what i get when i do get my truck.

ShowStop
07-07-2005, 09:37 PM
well it definitly seems liek teh toyota is the way to go dependability wise and i like the looks of the toyota better than the ranger. thanks for the help. ill fill you guys in on what i get when i do get my truck.
Now go find a Ford Ranger forum and ask the same question. See what kind of responses you get. Bias has two sides...

SAR_Squid79
07-08-2005, 02:07 AM
I have a 2000 Tacoma PRERUNNER, 3.4L V-6. One of my friends has a 2002 Ford Ranger that is pretty much the Ford equivalent of my truck (except his Ranger is 4X4).
His truck is a fucking piece of shit, and my truck smokes his truck in EVERY way. Even when we have gone Off-Road, and even though his truck is 4X4, my truck still makes his truck look like a turd. I would not piss on his Ford Ranger if it was on fire. Get a Tacoma.

GOT COPE?
07-08-2005, 03:12 AM
To help us better answer your questions...

ive been looking into getting a littler truck such as a tacoma or a ford ranger. i have a vw gti right now but it doesnt exactly suit my needs.
what exactly are your needs? what are you looking to use the truck for?

i am looking to get a 4x4 tacoma trd no prerunnner becasue i want 4x4 and a manual. i would also not mind getting a 4x4 ranger edge. which do you guys think is the best choice,
:D take a wild guess

i would like to get the v6 model in either one, but i was just reading a forum, about the 2.7 liter toyota engine and how good it is, is the extra power really needed or is it just for fun. any info appreciated, thanks
what year models are you looking at? 95.5-04 or 05-newer Tacoma's?

absolut taco
07-08-2005, 03:39 AM
Now go find a Ford Ranger forum and ask the same question. See what kind of responses you get. Bias has two sides...
I'm surprised Ranger owners have enough passion for their "vehicles" to talk on a forum. But I guess they want to share stories like "Mine just crossed 50,000 miles without an engine swap" and things like that.

pburruel
07-08-2005, 07:59 PM
I had a 2003 Ranger EDGE 3.0L. I traded it in on a 2004 2.7L 4WD Tacoma. The EDGE wa OK but I really like my Tacoma. I think they are both good but I gotta have a Toyota.

TacoGrande
07-11-2005, 09:24 AM
I had to chime in here....
I bought a '00 Ranger X-Cab 4x4 3.0L back in Jan, '00.(It was my first truck, gimme a break... :p ) I had a problem at about 15k miles(about 8 months) with my speedo bouncing. No big deal right? WRONG! Something, somewhere was causing the auto tranny to downshift because of the bouncing speedo. Not good to downshift a few gears when you are doing 70 down the highway :eek: . I was in and out of the dealer 5 times for this problem. It was off and on in the beginning and then got way worse as time went by. It would work for a week or three after they looked at it then crap out again. Vehicle speed sensors, cable harnesses, and bunch of other fun goodies were replaced and still, no fix. Well, I finally got rid of the POS in Jan 01 for an Escape(shoulda known better) but I was young an dumb and had a buncha problems with that cheap piece of plastic too.
Finally grew a brain in Apr 02 and bought a brand new Taco. I can tell you now, I have never been so happy with a vehicle in my life. It rides great, decent offroad(it's still stock) and has been essentially problem free(darn parking brake levers).
So I would say, drop the extra $$ on a Taco. Well worth every penny. You don't want to know the maintenance guys by their first names like I did at the Ford dealership.

-TacoGrande

PS-I saw my old Ranger about 1 year after I traded it in(my scratch for the dealer was still on the door) and it was still having the same problem(I talked to the new owner, poor guy).

04RedLobster
07-11-2005, 12:17 PM
i mean u're in a tacoma forum...so..everyone is gonna say a tacoma!!!!