: fm transmitter for Ipod/MP3

99TanTaco
04-13-2009, 06:05 PM
Ok so I'm tired of paying for both a xm (work truck) and a sirius (my car)subscription so I cashed in some reward points on my credit card for a Ipod but none of our company vehicles have a input jack and the one in my car needs some sort of splitter adapter because they srole the connection for the sat radio

I purchased a Belkin Tunecast III fm modulator hoping to overcome these obstacles but it's about the most useless POS I've ever seen, I've yet to find a channel in any of the 4 vehicles I've tried it in that it will transmit semi clearly on

Any recomendations other than the above POS?

I don't mind buying whatever is needed to reconnect the jack in my car but need a simple solution for using it in company vehicles

Shakerhood
04-13-2009, 06:44 PM
I bought that same piece of crap from Wal-Mart the other day and I am going to return it ASAP!

lifted98
04-13-2009, 09:34 PM
I have mine hooked up to the back of the deck so I don't have personal experience with the transmitters, but I've done a lot of reading on them and have yet to hear of anyone have great success with any of them at all. I'm not sure what options that leaves you, but good luck.

RCBS
04-14-2009, 11:48 AM
i know you're trying to get away from XM & Serious, but i have the XM Delphi MiFi unit with built in FM modulator. i have a cradle in my truck and one at work. the reception is great in the truck. i opted for the antenna tie in for the vehicle mount and it does great. the cradle at work does well also, but i had to run an antenna wire off the back of the stereo b/c the transmitter is about 8 ft away from the actual radio and there is a lot of interference in the surrounding area...sounds great also. i know it's nice to have XM or Serious "built in" to your head unit, but i find my setup much more convenient for my needs. you can buy cradles separatly and have them in as many locations as you want. another bonus of the MiFi is that i can record 5 hrs of live radio, then play it back on ANY stereo by simply setting the correct channel on the tuner. the one drawback i've found is that the music is somewhat "dulled" after being transmitted. this can easily be overcome by adjusting the audio controls on the radio. you can also just plug in some headphones and use it like an MP3 as well. the MiFi is a bit dated now, i think i've had mine about 5 years, but it's still working great. can't wait till it sh*ts itself so i can get one of the new units that have 50 hrs recording.

just food for thought.

ohio03trdtaco
04-14-2009, 12:23 PM
I got a scan disk sansa in my work truck mp3 player. I had a Belkin and hated that pos. I switched to a product made by the griffin technology. It is called the itrip and thay make them for the Ipod as well. Itrip (http://www.griffintechnology.com/products/itripdock) I really like it.

99TanTaco
04-14-2009, 05:12 PM
I bought that same piece of crap from Wal-Mart the other day and I am going to return it ASAP!
I knew it couldn't be just me, not sure how much of a hassle it'll be to return mine, I bought it online from some place I never dealt with before

i know you're trying to get away from XM & Serious, but i have the XM Delphi MiFi unit with built in FM modulator. i have a cradle in my truck and one at work. the reception is great in the truck. i opted for the antenna tie in for the vehicle mount and it does great. the cradle at work does well also, but i had to run an antenna wire off the back of the stereo b/c the transmitter is about 8 ft away from the actual radio and there is a lot of interference in the surrounding area...sounds great also. i know it's nice to have XM or Serious "built in" to your head unit, but i find my setup much more convenient for my needs. you can buy cradles separatly and have them in as many locations as you want. another bonus of the MiFi is that i can record 5 hrs of live radio, then play it back on ANY stereo by simply setting the correct channel on the tuner. the one drawback i've found is that the music is somewhat "dulled" after being transmitted. this can easily be overcome by adjusting the audio controls on the radio. you can also just plug in some headphones and use it like an MP3 as well. the MiFi is a bit dated now, i think i've had mine about 5 years, but it's still working great. can't wait till it sh*ts itself so i can get one of the new units that have 50 hrs recording.

just food for thought.
I'm using a old school Roady 2 in the company truck right now and that is mostly what I want to eliminate since I don't rally feel I'm spending enough time in it to justify the cost of a 2nd subscription

my car has the sat radio built in and at this point I think I may keep using it

I got a scan disk sansa in my work truck mp3 player. I had a Belkin and hated that pos. I switched to a product made by the griffin technology. It is called the itrip and thay make them for the Ipod as well. Itrip (http://www.griffintechnology.com/products/itripdock) I really like it.

I think the model you pointed out only works with the dockable models, I just got a shuffle (the little one) and that link says it"s discontinued but I'll look into griffin and see if they make another model that is compatible

worse case scenario may just have to burn a bunch of cds for the work truck

thanks guys

ohio03trdtaco
04-14-2009, 06:01 PM
My cd player died in the work truck fast too much dust I guess. The mp3 player has been the best I found so far with the fm transmitter. Also it goes with me into other trucks.

Shakerhood
04-15-2009, 12:52 AM
Wal-Mart did not give me any hassle on the return tonight, I hope you can return hassle free too!