: Newb on lift trip...

McCannon
07-08-2005, 09:10 AM
I'm looking to lift my 05 taco 2-3". I am Extremely new to this and whenever I ask questions here I end up with more questions then I started with. I am fairly handy around the shop but don't have a bunch of specialized tools or any welders.
My problem is that I wouldn't know what all to get for a lift or how involved the installation may be. So I believe my best bet would be to get a full kit. I was looking at this:http://www.demello-offroad.com//catalog/product_info.php?cPath=27_25_30&products_id=88&osCsid=c8cec9f7d0cd978f61a1dd949dd4fca7 with the "front HD bilsteins shocks for 189.00 a pair replace your shackles with Deavers 3 leaf add pack add 80.00 to the order." option.

Is this a decent deal and how involved is an installation like this? Anyone else offer somthing better for not too much more $$? I'm trying to keep this around 1k or less.

Sorry for the dumb questions but please remember this is newbie tech..... :cool:

zosimov21
07-08-2005, 03:09 PM
Demello would definately get a nod from people here. If you just wanted a cheaper spacer and AAL option toytech has options for 05 model trucks
http://www.toyteclifts.com/Basic05.html

shortbus
07-08-2005, 04:20 PM
Well I have some questions for you prior to being able to properly answer your question.
1. What kinda wheeling you planning on doing?
2. Is ride quality very important?
3. What is your budget?

McCannon
07-09-2005, 08:43 AM
I'm trying to keep this around 1k or less.

Around $1,000. ;) I am not the rock crawler type but I like to go out a couple times a month on and would like to be able to do medium difficulty trails.....This is also my daily driver and my wife and I go on long trips so ride is pretty important also. The truck is two weeks old and I already have some scratches on the underside of the back bumper and ripped off my trailer light plug (have the tow package...looking for a different place to put the plug)

here are some pictures of my last vacation with my wife and dad in Moab Utah.... Utah Trip (https://home.comcast.net/~namccann/latest_trip.htm) (NOT 56k friendly)
Missed out on some sights because they were 4x4 access only and I didn't want to try it with a stock 4x4. I don't like missing out on nice scenery :eek:

04RedLobster
07-11-2005, 07:22 PM
do you want ur ride to be better? on and off-road?
than a spacer is not the option...

go with some coilovers....
just save up and do it right the first time..
sine you already have 1000 budget...save another 1000 and do it right!! you'll be happy in the long term...

cedarbarn
07-11-2005, 09:34 PM
I'm looking to lift my 05 taco 2-3". I am Extremely new to this and whenever I ask questions here I end up with more questions then I started with. I am fairly handy around the shop but don't have a bunch of specialized tools or any welders.
My problem is that I wouldn't know what all to get for a lift or how involved the installation may be. So I believe my best bet would be to get a full kit. I was looking at this:http://www.demello-offroad.com//catalog/product_info.php?cPath=27_25_30&products_id=88&osCsid=c8cec9f7d0cd978f61a1dd949dd4fca7 with the "front HD bilsteins shocks for 189.00 a pair replace your shackles with Deavers 3 leaf add pack add 80.00 to the order." option.

Is this a decent deal and how involved is an installation like this? Anyone else offer somthing better for not too much more $$? I'm trying to keep this around 1k or less.

Sorry for the dumb questions but please remember this is newbie tech..... :cool:

From another n00b...

I am happy with my lift. You can read what I have on it in my signiture. The fabtech add a leafs were about $50 or so. I am waiting for the other aftermarket companies to offer full leaf packs... I figure they will be on the market by the time my rear end sags. The OME rear shocks, forgot what they were.

I bought the sway a way front coil overs off of a 4th gen 4 runner, they were about 2 months old. I got them for $650.

All of the lift parts were under ~$900 total. You could do it cheaper with cheaper front coil overs.

The biggest cost was tires.

My suggestion is find people in your area, and check out what they have on their trucks. I realized after looking at other Tacomas that I did not want to cut my front crossmembers to fit a 6" lift. All the guys that I know who did this are now doing Solid Axle Swaps. By the time I outgrow my 3" lift I will be looking to do a SAS. That will take some time.... And $$$... No need to spend it now, I am a n00b afterall and am enjoying what I can do with my lift as it is...

The next thing is a lockrite for more traction...

My suggestion is to find a club in your area, and get some help installing your junk. There were no specialized tools for my lift, but the experience of the guys in the club has helped a lot.

By the way, spacer lift was not an option.

www.toyotatrailriders.com