: NOOB with 3 questions.

drewcruikshank
07-08-2005, 11:02 AM
greetings from southern MD. noobie here. first post and all. go easy on me.
i have 3 questions for you guys.
Just got a 98 sr5 TRD. it has the 2.7L, manual trans. and 115k on the odo.
Need help in the following 3 areas:
-Clutch
-Timing set
-header/exhaust

-clutch is about ready to go. considering a centerforce stage 1. just wanna know if this will last for another 115000. should I just go with OEM which i think is LUK. no real performance mods. by the way running 31-10.5-15 MT's.

-I have heard of timing sets with metal backed followers that are supposed to be guarenteed for the rest of the life of the vehicle. where can I get one and how much. This may be a stupid question but are the stock chains already double rollers stock and if not is there a conversion kit.

-i have heard that LCE and NWOR have the best headers out there. My question is will these bolt up to the stock exhaust system and do they have O2 sensor bungs in them. If they dont, does anyone know of one that does. I guess i could just purchase the full stainless system from NWOR and not have to worry about it for the rest of the life of the vehicle but the price makes me feel funny in my pants. kinda like after i eat lotsa taco bell and corn.

are there any decent trails in MD and anyone that feels like taking me out and showing me the ropes. my experience is limited to running the power lines and swamp. nothing like the pics i have seen guys in CO and Cali.
I have been to the maryland TTORA and it seems kinda slow around there.

thanks in advance and sorry for the huge post

Nullifier
07-08-2005, 11:59 AM
well the LCEheader has everything you need It will mount right up, Good quality and price.

I think that if you are planning on wheeling hard then an upgraded clutch is a good way to go. If your wheeling is casual then a factory clutch should suffic. I got 133k on mine and it is just needing attention. Of course I only really use my clutch to get into 1st or reverse.

LavosTRD
07-08-2005, 12:03 PM
you dont need to touch the timing chain on that engine unless something goes wrong, and its not something that happens at all

ShowStop
07-08-2005, 01:59 PM
-clutch is about ready to go. considering a centerforce stage 1. just wanna know if this will last for another 115000. should I just go with OEM which i think is LUK. no real performance mods. by the way running 31-10.5-15 MT's.

I would not recommend the Centerforce I clutch. Too much grab on those clutches for your truck. Either go Centerforce DF (I don't think they offer this for the 2.7L engine), kelvar composite (big $$$) or a stock replacement. The stock clutch from the factory is Aisin, but Luk or Valeo are equals.

-I have heard of timing sets with metal backed followers that are supposed to be guarenteed for the rest of the life of the vehicle. where can I get one and how much. This may be a stupid question but are the stock chains already double rollers stock and if not is there a conversion kit.
No guarantee on the guides, but they do last a long ass time. I replaced my 2.7L after 230k miles and the guides looked like new.
As for double rollers, I only see the need if you are building a performance engine with high compression, aftermarket cams, etc. For a stock engine, the stock timing chain should outlast the engine. Your head will crack before the chain takes a shit.

-i have heard that LCE and NWOR have the best headers out there. My question is will these bolt up to the stock exhaust system and do they have O2 sensor bungs in them. If they dont, does anyone know of one that does.
I know for sure the LCE header has the O2 flange and is a direct bolt-on replacement for your model. I'm sure the NWOR has the flange as well, it would be idiotic for them not to have O2 flange when all the Tacoma models have a front 02 sensor.

Critt50
07-08-2005, 02:56 PM
I just put on a CenterForce D/F and it is the S**t. I highly recommend going with this for any replacement.

drewcruikshank
07-09-2005, 12:17 AM
the D/F is the dual disk right? how much more is that than the regualr stage one unit? Anyone have high miles on a centerforce unit? i know they have better holding power and all that jazz initially but will they last for 100k+ like the stocker? thanks for the rest of the info and not just saying "use the search function".

equin
07-09-2005, 03:04 AM
Like everyone else said, you shouldn't have to worry about the timing chain with the 2.7L. The older 22RE 4 cylinder had a plastic timing chain guide that would eventually crap out. But these newer 2.7L's don't have that problem.

I installed an LCE header on my 99, and it was an easy, direct bolt-on. Although they supply a replacement Toyota OE gasket for the header - cylinder head, they don't supply a Toyota OE gasket for the EGR tube flange. I would suggest getting one since the LCE EGR gasket blew out on me 3 times.

Don't know anything about the clutches, though, so I can't comment on 'em.

drewcruikshank
07-09-2005, 07:40 AM
sweet. thanks :D

hytenor
07-09-2005, 12:48 PM
the nwor header has the O2 sensor mount but if you have the dual CAT you'll have to have it relocated back a few inches to mount up to the header pipe.

the LCE has a better rep of being a direct or damn-near direct bolt-on application. There are issues with the nwor but it does provide better low-end performance. the LCE and Downey headers are for hi-end gains.

drewcruikshank
07-09-2005, 04:45 PM
is the NWOR header ceramic coated?

hytenor
07-10-2005, 02:04 AM
is the NWOR header ceramic coated?

the one I tried wasn't but call them and see if there has been a change...that was 3 yrs ago ;)