TTORA Forum banner

Am I dumb for considering this?

3K views 10 replies 9 participants last post by  Dick Foster 
#1 ·
I just ran across 1984 FJ60 Landcruiser for sale, with 220,000 miles, new clutch, working A/C, Edelbrock carb, 2" lift, yada yada yada for $3800. Don't flame, I not familiar with Landcruisers, but I do like them, so I'm considering this. Does this sound like a good deal, or should I pass it up? The only problem is that in order to purchase it, I would need to sell my current rig, my 99 x-cab Taco 4wd V-6 (many mods). If I were to sell my truck it would also give me a some cash to mod the FJ60. Am I dumb for considering this? I just need some advice on this, and I'd appeciate any you guys could offer (for or against).
Brock

#2 ·
Think about why you are considering it:
Is the Taco getting small because your family is growing?

Are you bored with the Taco and want to work on something new?

I would be a bit weary buying something that is that old, 15 years older than your Taco. Especially with that many miles on it. If the engine doesn't go soon, the chassis will.

#3 ·
Well I'd call you an Idiot for wanting to daily drive an 84 FJ over a 99 Taco.

If its not your daily driver and you want to take on another project (because thats what it will become) then by all means have fun! Its your money, and atleast you don't want to sell your Tacoma for a K5, because then I'd definetly flame you.

#4 ·
Is your Taco a daily driver? Would the FJ60 then become your daily driver? If so, that would be reason alone not to buy it. If you already have a DD, and the truck is your wheeler, then buy the vehicle that suits your driving style best.

#5 ·
I have owned Land Cruisers in the past and based on your description, I would say if the body & frame is perfect and rust free consider it. Cruisers are great vehicles even as a daily driver. If the body or frame is rusty, walk away.

#7 ·
Pictures speak volumes. It would have to be a very clean FJ60 to even consider such a change.

Those Cruisers are great, real workhorses. They were built solid but at that age and price, there are going to be tons of maintenance items.

You might have better luck trading for a nice, equal value Cruiser. I had several interested parties when I sold my Taco.

#9 ·
i would only do it if you could afford to keep your current Toy and get the LC as a secondary wheeler
no sense getting rid of your current rig to get something so old to replace it
The FJ60 is a big vehicle and can be a great trail toy
good luck!
def post pics if you get it
work on the price with the owner, I am sure if he knows you are a current Toy owner, he might be more willing to work with you

#10 ·
98 Taco said:
i would only do it if you could afford to keep your current Toy and get the LC as a secondary wheeler
no sense getting rid of your current rig to get something so old to replace it
The FJ60 is a big vehicle and can be a great trail toy
good luck!
def post pics if you get it
work on the price with the owner, I am sure if he knows you are a current Toy owner, he might be more willing to work with you
Quit digging up old posts. :bitchslap This one was resolved.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.