: Anyone put out a garden

twentyfootdaredevil
04-20-2009, 07:08 PM
I was just wondering if I was the only one!!

I put out
Lemon Cucumbers
Reg Cucumbers
Okra
Japanese Eggplant
Big Boy Eggplant
Salsify
5 kinds of Bell Peppers prurple, red, green, orange and yellow
Carrots
Watermelon
Honey Dew
Cantalope
Squash staight neck and crooked
Zuccinii
Tomatoes Margold and Brandywine
Sweet Peppers
Jalepeno peppers
Cabbage Flat Dutch
Raddish
I might have forgotten a thing or two but this is enough

Later I will plant Brussel Sprouts and Turnips

Damn that is alot! It doesnt seem like so much until you type it out.

95toyotan
04-20-2009, 07:58 PM
No not yet, But as soon as I get my new house I'll be puttin some punkin seeds in the dirt!! And some maters also but that's about all the space I'll have.:(

HoosierTacoma08
04-20-2009, 08:08 PM
That's quite a list! I normally put out a garden, have since I was 12. But I have to put it out at my parents and their looking at a new house. So there's no sense in putting it out for someone else. Cool thing is the house their checkin' out has 17.5 acres. :D Gonna be a BIG garden next year! I'll sure miss my tomato's. :(

gtrotter
04-20-2009, 08:49 PM
This year we are putting out our first garden at the new house. Probably going to have:
Tomatoes
Potatoes
Cucumbers
Green Beans
Lettuce
Jalapenos
Banana Peppers
Bell Peppers
Okra
who knows what else

The past few summer I have worked on a produce farm, and I have picked my fair share of melons and other produce. Any of you in southern Indiana that goes to the Evansville farmers market will have seen and possibly eaten produce I have picked. Check out Ritter's produce.

twentyfootdaredevil
04-20-2009, 08:56 PM
Anybody ever plant Lemon Cucumber or Slasify?

I havent even heard of either one of them before this year so I thought I would give em a try.

Salsify is called the oyster plant becasr when you dip it in egg and breading then fry it its supposed to taste like fried oysters. idk?

And lemon cucumber...who knows what that is good for.

HoosierTacoma08
04-20-2009, 09:08 PM
Those are new to me. Guess that makes you the guinea pig. :D

twentyfootdaredevil
04-20-2009, 09:53 PM
I dont mind experimenting alittle I like to try the off the wall kinda stuff.

I watched the news earlier and they were saying garden supplies are going to be in short supply this year. I guess with the econmy being bad alot of people are starting it back up.

Hell for me and my family when we are picking veggies out of the garden our food bill actually goes up. We want to try all these new dishes and.....it goes from there.

This year has been pretty good for us though acouple of us went in on some beef and then we bought a pig. I think the beef was $1.75lb in the freezer and the hog was $1.00lb Nice!

gtrotter
04-20-2009, 10:06 PM
If you guys need help setting up your soil,etc... I have a large amount of agronomy experience.

twentyfootdaredevil
04-20-2009, 10:10 PM
If you guys need help setting up your soil,etc... I have a large amount of agronomy experience.

Actually I was telling my grandpa I was going to put motor oil in my garden this year!! I threw away like 150 cucumbers last year and I dont know how many squash and bell peppers!!

There is nothing special about my garden but it does seem to produce!!

gtrotter
04-20-2009, 10:24 PM
Yeah, it all comes down to soil mixture, nutrients, and proper drainage. I have alot ahead of me this year. The new house is built on a large amount of clay. I'm going out sometime this week to pick up some horse manure, then get some sand from somewhere around here. I might pick a little alluvium from river bottoms if I get a chance.