: Bad CV or ?

Sucka
04-23-2009, 06:17 PM
So i was on my way to work today, driving about 35mph in a straight line and i hear two loud pops. I got home and crawled under my truck and sure enough i'm leaking grease. It wasn't in the wheel well or anything, i can't see a tear in my boot but it's leaking.

It's an after market CV that was put in by GMC where i bought the truck at the time of purchase. Not sure if the coils are just to much for them or what, but i didn't think i had them cranked that much. Could just be coincidence, who knows.

Anyways, here's what's leaking. I didn't see a tear in the boot, but i suppose it could be on the top side where i just can't see. I know it's fucked up so no sense tracking down the leak i'll just replace it.

http://i542.photobucket.com/albums/gg409/suckacottora/grease1.jpg

And i'm not sure what this area is called, but where the CV meets the diff has play in it. When i grab it and slide it side to side it slides back and forth. My OEM on the other side doesn't move really at all.

http://i542.photobucket.com/albums/gg409/suckacottora/grease2.jpg

So how long can i drive on this before i HAVE to get it fixed? Is this a CV issue, bad seal to the diff, what's going on here? I want to replace it asap, but i'll have to find someone willing to lend me tools and a hand. I saw Matt do his CV so i'm pretty sure i can bang it out if someone would be willing to lend me the right tools.

ike
04-23-2009, 06:54 PM
Sounds like a CV, if it is since you have ADD you want to get it fixed as soon as possible. If it starts flopping around bad things might happen. Really hard to tell for sure if that is what it is though without seeing it in person.

Sucka
04-23-2009, 07:14 PM
Oh trust me i want it fixed ASAP, but that's easier said than done.

Ok, went back out and pulled forward a bit and found no tears. It looks like the boot just isn't on tight enough, or came a little loose. Here's where the grease appears to be coming from and where it's gathering on the truck.

http://i542.photobucket.com/albums/gg409/suckacottora/grease3.jpg

http://i542.photobucket.com/albums/gg409/suckacottora/grease4.jpg

And here's the question i had with the play. On the OEM there's the little silver seal/sheild looking thing. I'm obviously not a grease monkey so i don't know the proper terminology.....lol

So pics for what i'm talking about. I would say the bad side has maybe 1/8" play give or take while the OEM side has maybe a hair to none. And the play is inside to outside <--->

Here's the aftermarket one, is this just a difference in mfg, or am i missing that on this side?

http://i542.photobucket.com/albums/gg409/suckacottora/grease5.jpg

OEM:

http://i542.photobucket.com/albums/gg409/suckacottora/grease6.jpg

00regcab
04-23-2009, 08:59 PM
The play is normal (at least a little bit, maybe 1/4-1/2"), if its more than that, then you need a new snap ring.

Oh btw, ben.

Its your lucky day, i have 2 OEM Toyota ADD CV's FS, PM me :D

Sucka
04-23-2009, 09:02 PM
The play is normal (at least a little bit, maybe 1/4-1/2"), if its more than that, then you need a new snap ring.

Oh btw, ben.

Its your lucky day, i have 2 OEM Toyota ADD CV's FS, PM me :D

Already left a message in your other thread, i want both of them if they're in good shape ;)

That snap ring, do i even have one in there? Is that the thing that i'm pointing at in the arrow? The after market one doesn't have that at all. Play is minimal, no more than 1/4" but i never messed with it before today. The OEM side has almost no play at all, certainly less than the "bad" side i'm dealing with.

00regcab
04-23-2009, 09:07 PM
Snap ring is inside of the diff, on the splined portion of the CV, you wont be able to see it until you pull the CV out.

All your missing on that side is the dust shield. I ditched both of mine, all they seem to do is rattle. With wheeling you'll want to replace those seals every few seasons anyway, especially if you break a fair number of CV's

Sucka
04-23-2009, 09:11 PM
Ok, now i know what you're talking about. It doesn't have much play, so i think it's just a leaking boot.

I sent you a PM about those CV's.

Anyone want to lend a hand/tools to swap this thing out?

00regcab
04-23-2009, 09:15 PM
I may be able to, dependent on when.

Also get 3 quarts of gear oil, id recommend the valvoline 75-140 (i think it is) full synthetic. Its kind of pricey but its noticeably better. And if you haven't changed the oil in your rear diff you might want to just round it off to 5 quarts total and knock them both out while you're at it.

Sucka
04-23-2009, 09:23 PM
I did the diffs and xfer case not more than 4K ago. I know the front leaks a little when you swap CV's so i'll grab some for a swap while i'm at it.

Whoever can help i'll take it from. I've read the write-ups and seen one done, so i'm pretty confident i could get it done, it's just a matter of tools.

I'm wondering if this is just coincidence or my CV angle with the new coils. I really don't have them cranked high at all, but if this is what's in my future i'll crank them down in a hurry. I'm not interested in going through this frequently when driving on the damn road :mad:

Does this look bad? This is the OEM side, the bad one the boots are different and look even better.

http://i542.photobucket.com/albums/gg409/suckacottora/angle.jpg

00regcab
04-23-2009, 09:28 PM
Youd be fine at that height if you were manual hub, since the CV wouldn't be spinning constantly.

Also, i forgot, but it looks like you've removed the sway bar, correct? If you havent, do so. As it may be binding and throwing things off.

Sucka
04-23-2009, 09:40 PM
Sway bar is still on. How much body roll do you guys get without it?

I'll drop them down. An extra inch of lift isn't worth a CV per a week which is the rate i'm going at right now.....lol

00regcab
04-23-2009, 09:42 PM
get rid of it.

Its a noticeable amount of body roll, but drive it like its a truck and not a sports car, and you'll be fine. I'm coming to find it will wear tires a touch faster though, since it allows the tires to move more and the truck to pitch more with it removed.

My mechanic and i were talking about it when i took the truck to him to have him check out the tire wear i'm getting.

RedRunnertc
04-23-2009, 10:52 PM
Ben, I could help you change out the CV this weekend.

Sucka
04-23-2009, 11:25 PM
Ben, I could help you change out the CV this weekend.

If you're free that would be GREAT!

Hoping to get ahold of that CV tomorrow evening from Nate, if that happens would you want to do Saturday or Sunday? Don't want to bust up any plans, so whatever works for you.

And Nate i'll take my sway bar off and give it a go. Never driven without one, so i guess it won't hurt to try. I'm not worried about tire wear, the sooner i wear these out the sooner i get new tires :D

ike
04-24-2009, 05:38 AM
Looks like you just have a leaky boot. Not that big a deal. Your cv angles are fine. That should not be causing you any problems with wear.(atleast my cv's have held up for 2 yrs now with tons of wheeling and way worse angles)