: is this possible?

sjvicker
12-21-2004, 08:28 AM
so lately i've been having the problem with when I press the brakes the truck stalls (AT, just installed rb 2 inch). Does anyone here think its a bad ground between the fuel pump and the brake light circuit? This would cause the electrical load required by the brake lights to prevent the fuel pump from maintaining adequate pressure and cause a stall.

Where is the location of the ground for the taillights and the fuel pump?

boophoenix
12-21-2004, 08:51 AM
so lately i've been having the problem with when I press the brakes the truck stalls (AT, just installed rb 2 inch).
Might help with some more information here. Does it stall sitting still pressing the breaks or only when moving? If sitting still in what shifter location (p, n, d, 2, 1 ).

Does anyone here think its a bad ground between the fuel pump and the brake light circuit? This would cause the electrical load required by the brake lights to prevent the fuel pump from maintaining adequate pressure and cause a stall.
I personally would not think so. If it will stall sitting still pressing the break you may have some sort of a short. If it only stalls when the truck is rolling you may have a transmission issue or tourque converter issue.

They should both have there own individual ground wires. They should be in a wire loom running down the left side of your truck most likely insode the frame rail. The fuel pump wire will split out of the loom behind the fuel tank.

sjvicker
12-21-2004, 10:02 AM
sitting still it will stall, so we can't get it to move anywhere. If it's put into gear it will stall, but it wont stall in neutral.

ShowStop
12-21-2004, 01:24 PM
What is your idle speed in park/neutral? Did this happen all of the sudden? When was the last time you did a tune-up, changed fuel filter, cleaned throttle body, etc? Have you checked for possible vacuum leaks?

grumpy
12-21-2004, 01:50 PM
so lately i've been having the problem with when I press the brakes the truck stalls (AT, just installed rb 2 inch). Does anyone here think its a bad ground between the fuel pump and the brake light circuit? This would cause the electrical load required by the brake lights to prevent the fuel pump from maintaining adequate pressure and cause a stall.

is this the first time trying to start since the B/L?? if so, check everything you touched for the B/L and connections from lifting the cab to engine bay, also the bed by the tank.

sjvicker
12-21-2004, 02:00 PM
we didn't lift the bed yet, and it backed out of the garage fine and then had the problem. And we've looked over the connections many times and can't find anything

sjvicker
12-21-2004, 02:02 PM
What is your idle speed in park/neutral? Did this happen all of the sudden? When was the last time you did a tune-up, changed fuel filter, cleaned throttle body, etc? Have you checked for possible vacuum leaks?

happend all of the sudden, no change in idle speed. Haven't checked for any vacuum leaks.

Also when I hit the brake pedal it causes the radio to restart like it's drawing power from the system when I press the brake.

ShowStop
12-21-2004, 02:33 PM
Also when I hit the brake pedal it causes the radio to restart like it's drawing power from the system when I press the brake.

You also mentioned you just did a body lift. You really need to go back and check for pinched or disconnected wires. It sounds like you might have damaged a wiring harness during the install.

sjvicker
12-21-2004, 02:38 PM
You also mentioned you just did a body lift. You really need to go back and check for pinched or disconnected wires. It sounds like you might have damaged a wiring harness during the install.

checked and rechecked the wires, and I know you are correct that it does sound like a damaged wiring harness. I wonder if anyone has any ideas that could narrow it down to which one.

Tankota
12-21-2004, 03:51 PM
Go around and check every connector, and physicaly push them in to make sure they are in.. Also check the battery positive and ground connections, they may have been streatched.. I once spent days traking down a problem and all it ended up being was a connector wasn't fully snaped in.

boophoenix
12-22-2004, 09:06 AM
You may want to try the battery cables. If you're not getting a good ground or hot conection the drain of hitting the breaks could afect the radio and stall the engine.