: washing engine?

miguelitro
07-11-2005, 04:18 PM
i really need to wash my engine! what do i need to cover up beyond the obvious-fuse box, comp.
Oh and anyone have a favorite method?
Thanks for any advice
Mike

Ted
07-11-2005, 05:15 PM
I warm mine up, then spray it down. Then get a bottle of cleaner, and spray it on the engine, let it sit. Then hose it off. I last did this a few years ago.

TacoDell
07-12-2005, 11:10 AM
IMO it is best to use low pressure water sources. Or steam... Most auto parts stores have a cleaner ( Engine Bright/Pep Boys) you can buy spray on and hose off. If it's real bad get it steamed. High pressure spray means water forced into places it shouldn't be... But I did it once and had no problem except the pressure blew the crap all over the place and made a different kind O mess... And it still wasn't clean... Low pressure steam is easist if you have access. Other wise use the spray and hose method to see if that meets your needs...

atwinda
07-12-2005, 11:47 AM
I just hose mine off reguarly. If it's real bad get some simple green and spray it in there after you wet it, wait, and hose off. I've used a pressure washer many times without issue. The ECU is inside the truck, so you don't really need to worry about that, all the important eletrical bits are sealed. Minus the alternator, so just take it easy on that.

mountainpete
07-12-2005, 11:51 AM
Everytime I wash my truck I pressure wash the engine - while the engine is running. Never had an issue and I always have a clean engine bay.

Bryanccfshr
07-12-2005, 12:02 PM
I Simply yse the garden sprayer and hose it downonce in a while...no big deal.

Tacoma Jake
07-12-2005, 12:28 PM
I understand that turning your engine on may help get off all that junk, but if it's too hot arent you gonna start cracking things? (maybe the exhaust manifold, because of how weak they seem to be).

miguelitro
07-12-2005, 03:51 PM
so you guys cover nothing???
interesting if so. i guess that these truck are built for off roading though!
Well i'll try it, shouldnt be too bad as its just dirt no grease or oil.
Mike

scottnmos
07-13-2005, 04:30 PM
Paging bajataco.....paging bajataco. The guy with the "cleaner than in the showroom" engine bay should speak up....wonder what he uses....

equin
07-13-2005, 04:51 PM
I've never covered anything with any of the cars I've owned. I've just left the engine running, lightly sprayed it down at the coin-operated wash, sprayed on the "engine cleaner" option, then rinsed it all off by lightly spraying it down again. I used to do that about once every 6 weeks, but have gotten lazy and only do it every once in awhile that way.

I've only had one issue when doing it that way, and it was with an 87 POS Volvo with over 230K miles on it that I got for $200. As I was washing it down, it started sputtering for a short while, but then ran normally again. Don't know if the distributor cap got wet or the air filter got soaked - the new owner still drives it around every day 2 years after I got rid of it, though, so who knows?

TACODOC
07-21-2005, 05:37 PM
Simple green and a garden hose, usually about once a year or after a good mud romp :D

Cmartinez95
07-21-2005, 05:49 PM
I too use Simple Green. I let the engine cool, cover up the alternator, spray SG and let it sit for about 10 minutes. Then I use low pressure water to rinse it all off. I've done this since the truck was new and have never had any problems.

Scootn2nature
07-22-2005, 12:27 AM
Gunk!!! WIth eng running only while rinsing off With eng only slightly warm

hopefully no bonehead will be turning a hose on it when it's at or near operating temperature.

And I wash my eng compartment more than the rest of the truck.

TGilder
07-23-2005, 09:24 AM
i really need to wash my engine! what do i need to cover up beyond the obvious-fuse box, comp.
Oh and anyone have a favorite method?
Thanks for any advice
Mike

Add me to the list of Simple Green users. I just did the engine wash a couple of days ago. Basically, just got everything wet with the garden hose, sprayed full strength Simple green on everything and let it sit for a few minutes, then hosed it off and dried it with some old hand towels.

miguelitro
07-23-2005, 10:13 AM
Gunk!!! WIth eng running only while rinsing off With eng only slightly warm

hopefully no bonehead will be turning a hose on it when it's at or near operating temperature.

And I wash my eng compartment more than the rest of the truck.

yup common problem with Harley owners and their cast iron cylinders cracking:D
when the OG dirtbikers were riding em it would even happen crossing creeks!
Well it is lightly modified water pump from the turn of the century...

i'll do the simple green thing though, got some in the garage.
Thanks
Mike