: Sliders!

arrrghhh
05-15-2009, 10:04 PM
So I ordered some rock sliders today - hopefully they'll ship in a week and I'll have them the following week. I'm posting this because they are weld-on - and I was hoping someone would lend a hand welding them... I don't have any welding equipment unfortunately, so it would probably be more like me helping them work on my truck lol! Not sure when the next HOW is or if welding would be a part of that... but anybody willing to help me out, I'm sure there's plenty of good beer and pizza in it for 'em! Thanks!

Lysmachia
05-16-2009, 12:17 AM
Troy does this often for folks, but he does ask that you donate $$ for welding materials (copper wire, etc)

We are at I-25 and CO 119 (Longmont exit) if you are interested.

RedRunnertc
05-16-2009, 01:16 AM
Too bad they're not coming in next week ... I have all week off from work...

chilitoy
05-16-2009, 01:05 PM
If you can't find anyone before May 7th, I can help you with them. Unfortunately I will be busy and in and out of town until then. After that I will be free after work and on weekends. I have a welder and a garage and eveything else we would need.:welder::saw:

Lysmachia
05-16-2009, 03:51 PM
Um May 7th has come and gone ;) Do you mean June 7th?

Troy and I can definitally help you, just don't know where you live...so I am not sure if we are near or far for you!

Sucka
05-16-2009, 06:53 PM
Troy needs to open a slider welding shop :lmao:

chilitoy
05-16-2009, 10:24 PM
Yeah--- June 7th. If only I could go back in time....coach would put me in....

Lysmachia
05-17-2009, 12:57 AM
Troy needs to open a slider welding shop :lmao:

He already has! :D

CoTacoTRD
05-17-2009, 06:48 AM
I wonder if he can also open up a welding school while he is at it. Or at least an apprenticeship. I need to learn some more about welding. :welder:

Lysmachia
05-17-2009, 07:45 AM
I dunno, ask him *grin* - we all took a basic welding class a year ago from General Air and that's what got him started. He's getting pretty good too!

arrrghhh
05-17-2009, 02:33 PM
Troy does this often for folks, but he does ask that you donate $$ for welding materials (copper wire, etc)

We are at I-25 and CO 119 (Longmont exit) if you are interested.

well that's not exactly *close* (I'm in Englewood, Swedish hospital area) but I don't mind driving. And materials for the job I wouldn't mind payin for! I'll let you know when I get them in... I think I want to either paint them or like rhino/hercu-liner them or something - any opinions on this? Maybe even just some grip tape hrm.... I'm also assuming this would be best decided before we weld 'em on lol!

mrdoug
05-17-2009, 07:48 PM
Rattle can is the best idea. People have them powder coated, etc... they look great till you actually use them on a rock, then you got a scrape that you need to cover. You then wish you had that money back while you're covering up the bare steel with some spray paint. :2cents:

00regcab
05-17-2009, 07:49 PM
Spray paint, with grip tape on the top sides would be the way to go.

arrrghhh
05-17-2009, 10:47 PM

yea i was thinking this would be it. i'm certainly NOT going to get it powdercoated (revenge-fab won't even do it, powdercoating usually gets screwed even on shipping let alone rock rash...) so that spray-on rhino liner or herculiner whatever would be a bad idea? i thought it might work pretty well... black spray paint and grip tape would probably be fine, i just thought the rhino liner would double with that and be consistent all the way 'round :D any reason this is a bad idea? i'd definitely like to hear from any experience here! i've never owned rock sliders let alone a 4wd vehicle before :p

00regcab
05-17-2009, 10:50 PM
As doug said, rhino liner/line-x, etc. is VERY costly (they want $500 to do my 3ft long 4ft wide bed, its ridiculous) and you're just going to be scratching it off

NOTHING will hold up to rocks, the rock will always win (paint wise) so its best to go the cheapest route (99c wal mart spray paint) then touch them up once a year, i usually do mine just before each winter.

arrrghhh
05-18-2009, 07:45 AM
As doug said, rhino liner/line-x, etc. is VERY costly (they want $500 to do my 3ft long 4ft wide bed, its ridiculous) and you're just going to be scratching it off

NOTHING will hold up to rocks, the rock will always win (paint wise) so its best to go the cheapest route (99c wal mart spray paint) then touch them up once a year, i usually do mine just before each winter.

yea, i haven't looked into what the spray-on rhino liner whatever costs. i was going to do it myself tho... meh, spray paint is cheap, and the grip tape shouldn't get too torn up being topside. i'll look into prices just to see, but i'll probably end up going this route. thanks for the input, i appreciate it!

and Lysmachia - assuming you're still up for it, I'll let you know when I get my sliders in and I'll roll up to your place and get 'em welded on! I'm excited!!

mrdoug
05-18-2009, 09:00 AM
There is some spray on 'non-slip' paint. I tried it on my front/rear bumper and can say that after 2-3 coats it starts to feel about like powder coat (ie, the grip stuff doesn't really stand out). I wouldn't suggest it since I thought it was a wasted effort, but you might like it... it's a personal preference. The grip tape is probably a better route to go if you really want something on the paint to use as a step.

TacoBlanca97
05-18-2009, 09:20 AM
So I ordered some rock sliders today - hopefully they'll ship in a week and I'll have them the following week. I'm posting this because they are weld-on - and I was hoping someone would lend a hand welding them... I don't have any welding equipment unfortunately, so it would probably be more like me helping them work on my truck lol! Not sure when the next HOW is or if welding would be a part of that... but anybody willing to help me out, I'm sure there's plenty of good beer and pizza in it for 'em! Thanks!

what company did you order your sliders? How much were they?

arrrghhh
05-18-2009, 09:40 AM
what company did you order your sliders? How much were they?

revenge-fab.com... I am a member on other Tacoma sites (this was from TacomaWorld) and I don't know how much of a d/c he gave me, but it was like $230 shipped w/kickouts. He makes them able to be bolted on, for an extra $120. the kickouts were like an extra $25. we'll see how far they stick out when they come in, i may or may not regret the kickouts. either way, should be sweet tho!

btw, if you have the $$$, get slee's sliders. i just didn't feel like dropping $900+ on sliders lol.

Sucka
05-18-2009, 11:47 AM
I'm running revenge-fab sliders myself, he does good work. Run spray paint, you'll be touching them up a lot.

If Troy helps you weld them on he'll know what to look for, but be aware that the legs did not line up with the frame properly. The frame curve at the front and therefore the front leg was about 1/4" to short. Just something for you to be aware of.

arrrghhh
05-18-2009, 12:57 PM
I'm running revenge-fab sliders myself, he does good work. Run spray paint, you'll be touching them up a lot.

If Troy helps you weld them on he'll know what to look for, but be aware that the legs did not line up with the frame properly. The frame curve at the front and therefore the front leg was about 1/4" to short. Just something for you to be aware of.

good to know! i think that troy'll definitely be involved (so long as he's OK with it...) as i don't know squat about welding or sliders for that matter.

tacotoy
05-18-2009, 02:05 PM
if you do decide to try and do herculiner..... check out a product called durabak.... like nate said, pretty much nothing will hold up to rocks. but this stuff is pretty decent ( stayed on the door panel after its encounter with a rock.... dragged about 4 inches...) and you can order it with UV protectant and it holds up pretty well....

but might as well stick with the spraypaint.... duplicolor bumper paint seems to hold up really good... only scratches and no paint pop....

TacoBlanca97
05-18-2009, 02:44 PM
revenge-fab.com... I am a member on other Tacoma sites (this was from TacomaWorld) and I don't know how much of a d/c he gave me, but it was like $230 shipped w/kickouts. He makes them able to be bolted on, for an extra $120. the kickouts were like an extra $25. we'll see how far they stick out when they come in, i may or may not regret the kickouts. either way, should be sweet tho!

btw, if you have the $$$, get slee's sliders. i just didn't feel like dropping $900+ on sliders lol.

I was just curious, I bought mine from trail gear. $250 delivered. It's definately a good price but they are made from HREW steel which is not as strong as DOM tubing. They should be plenty stout for my style of wheeling.

arrrghhh
05-18-2009, 03:13 PM
I was just curious, I bought mine from trail gear. $250 delivered. It's definately a good price but they are made from HREW steel which is not as strong as DOM tubing. They should be plenty stout for my style of wheeling.

+1 on good price and DOM tubing. mine's HREW as well, and based on everything I've been reading that's plenty unless you're building a rock-crawler specific rig and are willing pony up the extra $$$. let me know how your sliders turn out!

Lysmachia
05-18-2009, 06:29 PM
Yeah Troy and I can help you when you are ready!

CoTacoTRD
05-18-2009, 08:57 PM

I love my Slee's. Wouldn't trade them for nothing. I also glad I got them on the first production run and only paid $750.00:eek:

00regcab
05-18-2009, 09:10 PM
It's all preference :p

Kick outs, no kick outs?
Square or round? or both mixed?

Personally, i love my ORS square tube, tilt sliders. But i hate armor in the sense that it looks horrid (no two ways about it), so the tighter in it is, and the cleaner more simple it is, the better, in my opinion.

My ors square tube sliders are 2x2, .250 wall on at least the legs, not 100% positive what the main tube is, but they've taken one hell of a beating.

packrat1
05-18-2009, 09:19 PM

I welded on some small sections of expanded metal to the top of the sliders for grip and it works great - I think that the grip tape woud need replacing ever so often - but it might be easier to do.

tacotoy
05-18-2009, 09:21 PM
thats kinda a cool idea.... i like the expanded metal. about an inch wide strip?

arrrghhh
05-18-2009, 09:56 PM
I love my Slee's. Wouldn't trade them for nothing. I also glad I got them on the first production run and only paid $750.00:eek:

yea, that's still a little much for me. but they are very nice sliders, i must say! i kinda wish i would've ponied up for 'em, but i'm sure the revenge-fab ones will look good and perform great. i just wish they were here already, ha!

I welded on some small sections of expanded metal to the top of the sliders for grip and it works great - I think that the grip tape woud need replacing ever so often - but it might be easier to do.

this sounds intriguing... i don't have any welding talent so i'll probably just end up painting 'em with grip tape, although that is definitely unique! do you have any *closeup* pics?

Sucka
05-19-2009, 05:14 PM
You'll like the revenge-fab, they tuck up real nice, but stick out the perfect amount for protection. Mine took a pretty good beating their first time out, no problems at all.

http://i542.photobucket.com/albums/gg409/suckacottora/recovery1.jpg

http://i542.photobucket.com/albums/gg409/suckacottora/farmington-moab-march09054.jpg

arrrghhh
05-22-2009, 11:28 AM
hehe cute puppy.

so did you powercoat those? how did you paint 'em? i haven't quite decided on what to do in that respect, i'm still open for opinions.

Sucka
05-22-2009, 11:34 AM
I spray painted them with semi gloss (first pic). The semi gloss black looks good, and it makes it easy to touch up. I would not bother with powder coating, you're gonna scuff them up pretty bad if you wheel.

In the first pic i had just hit them with some flat black, but that's because i got them on the night before our trip.

arrrghhh
05-22-2009, 11:36 AM
I spray painted them with semi gloss (first pic). The semi gloss black looks good, and it makes it easy to touch up. I would not bother with powder coating, you're gonna scuff them up pretty bad if you wheel.

In the first pic i had just hit them with some flat black, but that's because i got them on the night before our trip.

yea, the second pic almost looks like they're powdercoated - i was pretty sure that option would NOT be for me, but just thought i'd ask. i just like the textured look, so the semi-gloss is the second pic? i like how those look. i can't wait to have these things in mah hands/on mah truck!

Sucka
05-22-2009, 11:52 AM
My bad, first pic = semi gloss.

Second pic = flat black.

TacoBlanca97
05-22-2009, 12:34 PM
You might consider using the spray on bedliner in a can stuff. It's pretty inexpensive and durable.

arrrghhh
05-22-2009, 12:47 PM
You might consider using the spray on bedliner in a can stuff. It's pretty inexpensive and durable.

yea, i was talking about that earlier getting the rhino/herculiner spray on. i think it's between this, or doing flat black with grip tape. thanks for all the input guys, it really did help!

mrdoug
05-22-2009, 12:51 PM
i just like the textured look

you might also try out the Rust-o-leum hammerd black... I used it on something a few weeks ago and was impressed with how it came out.

packrat1
05-24-2009, 09:18 PM
this sounds intriguing... i don't have any welding talent so i'll probably just end up painting 'em with grip tape, although that is definitely unique! do you have any *closeup* pics?

These should give you an idea of the expanded metal addition, and what your sliders might look like after you use em a little. And on the body that you can see, I have durabak smooth painted on there. Tough stuff, but no match for rocks.

http://i449.photobucket.com/albums/qq212/Packrat01/DSCN6562-1.jpg

http://i449.photobucket.com/albums/qq212/Packrat01/DSCN6567-1.jpg

arrrghhh
05-26-2009, 08:25 AM
that's cool, like fencing material almost... very original!

fast7mtoys
05-26-2009, 10:58 AM
i think im going to steal this idea for mine(expanded metal).....when they get wet and icy they are slick as snot........self built not bought, just like the rest of the truck......1/8th in 2x2 square tube.....never let me down......not even a dent in them i and i make sure to utilize them whenever i can...

packrat1
05-26-2009, 12:43 PM
i think im going to steal this idea for mine(expanded metal)

forgot to mention.......patent pending.

:D

arrrghhh
05-26-2009, 02:01 PM
http://img33.imageshack.us/img33/1534/tacosnorkle01.jpg

seriously, this is how taco's should come from the factory. it'll be an option. either trd offroad or SERIOUS offroad, i love it!

but seriously, that is a cool idea. they probably are "slicker than snot" when wet, and i'm lazy and talentless with a torch so i'll probably end up using grip-tape. very cool idea tho!

fast7mtoys
05-26-2009, 02:09 PM
forgot to mention.......patent pending.

:D

but that's what i/we do.........take a good thing and make it better

packrat1
05-26-2009, 08:00 PM
but that's what i/we do.........take a good thing and make it better

Nope, can't make it better. No one has enough talent to outdo me. I know too much, I wheel too much, and I have a second cousin (Billy-joe's his name), and he know a ton too!

so there

:D:D :D

arrrghhh
08-19-2009, 12:10 PM
ugh i'm still waiting for my sliders from derek @ revenge-fab. i'm going to ask for my money back at this point, i don't care how cheap the sliders are or how good his welding is... this is not worth it.

i'm gonna get some stubb's sliders when i get my money back, so hopefully then i can enlist some help to have 'em welded on!

Lysmachia
08-19-2009, 12:18 PM
Troy and I can do it for you (Weld them on)for cost of materiels... but not till Sept at the earliest!

RedRunnertc
08-19-2009, 01:04 PM
Troy and I can do it for you (Weld them on)for cost of materiels... but not till Sept at the earliest!

You're welding now? Been practicing while I'm at work?

ike
08-19-2009, 02:35 PM
:lmao:

Lysmachia
08-19-2009, 03:23 PM
You're welding now? Been practicing while I'm at work?

I gotta earn my keep some how. Been practicing the last 3 days... while the welder is in vail... :neener:

arrrghhh
09-18-2009, 04:15 PM
still waiting for my money back... supposedly he's sending me a MO monday. f-in ridiculous.

Lysmachia
09-18-2009, 06:17 PM
This really sucks!!! I hope we can get something that works for you!

4Runner_Girl
09-18-2009, 09:47 PM
MOLLY i will show you the ropes...

devinsixtyseven
09-21-2009, 10:36 AM
MOLLY i will show you the ropes...

Would you be willing to show off some TIG welding one of these days?

4Runner_Girl
09-29-2009, 08:03 PM
sure i could! lol

BigT
09-29-2009, 09:35 PM
I'm in the same boat as Arrrrrgh. I'm still trying to get my sliders though. This is stupid though. I can't believe I'm not more pissed after spending money and not having the product all most three months later.

TacoBlanca97
09-29-2009, 11:05 PM
That sucks, and what company is this that you ordered your sliders through?

ike
09-29-2009, 11:19 PM
have they atleast been responding to calls about where they stand on your order?

4Runner_Girl
09-30-2009, 09:17 PM
That sucks that they haven't come yet.

BigT
10-02-2009, 03:53 PM
I've been emailed three seperate times that they will be shipped in two days. I week later I don't have them and send another email. I'm pretty much to the point where I know my money is gone and I'm screwed as far as sliders go. It is Revenge-Fab one of the sponsers for TTORA.

Lysmachia
10-03-2009, 11:56 AM
Wow this really is rediculous. I say both of you email him and tell him if he doesn't either ship the sliders WITH a tracking number this next week, OR refund your money you will both post a bad rating on TTORA, YotaTech, TacomaWorld, Pirate, Colorado4x4.org and any other Toyota off road site I am missing.

mrdoug
10-05-2009, 06:55 AM
Wow this really is rediculous. I say both of you email him and tell him if he doesn't either ship the sliders WITH a tracking number this next week, OR refund your money you will both post a bad rating on TTORA, YotaTech, TacomaWorld, Pirate, Colorado4x4.org and any other Toyota off road site I am missing.

Check around, that company has already earned that rating. Seems he's screwed over alot of people.

ike
10-05-2009, 12:10 PM
good to know who not to do business with.

BigT
10-07-2009, 09:07 PM
Yeah now I know. Need to do more research than just read what other people have posted saying that they got their product. Oh well, I'm probably just going to do business with big companies from now on or somewhere I can at least go visit if need be.