: Strange Vibration

00regcab
05-17-2009, 03:07 PM
Ok, so the other day i blew up a CV, it took the brass/bronze bushing out of the hub assembly, and also blew up the lock-out (manual hubs).

So i tore it apart, took the innards out of the lock out and just bolted the cap/dial back on (so it would keep dust/dirt and such out), and put my spare CV in it. Full floating front, it should be fine as long as i dont use 4wd (until i get it fixed).

In this time, i also pushed my axle back about an inch, and had my driveshaft extended (already had to reach 2" because the r150 is 2" shorter than the w59, so the last 1" put it over the top, splines were showing on the yolk).

So last night i drive it all over the denver area, put about 120 miles on it. No problems, then coming home from dougs a slight vibration comes in. Then it got so bad the truck wouldnt stay in one lane. I pull over, check everything by hand (didnt have tools), then proceed down the road and i had Ike come meet me with tools.

Heres the rundown of what we went over and everything that's OK/tight

Driveshaft
Shocks
U-joints
Lug Nuts
Wheel Bearings
Tie Rods (they have play in them, but no worse than they've been for the last year)
Ball Joints
Pinion Bearing

So to add to more of the madness, we spend about 2 hours sitting at a closed gas station going over all this and generally BS'ing. I had Ike follow me to see if he could visually see anything, so we take off driving, and no more vibration. So we come back to talk about it, decide wtf, whatever oh well.

This is where i noticed the extent, and randomness of the vibration.

Well i get about another 15 miles down the road, and i hit a bump while turning slight right, around 55mph. It comes back HARD, again, truck wont stay in one lane and everything is rattling/vibrating. Pull over, check everything again, its ok, start moving again, and its gone. WTF?

The vibration comes in randomly, but will go away if i brake to a complete stop, then accelerate again. Sometimes it comes back instantly, sometimes it takes a few miles. Also, its at its worst right at 30mph when it is doing it.

Does anybody have any ideas? I've gone over every nut/bolt on this damn truck, and it's still here!

Could probably use a hand later this week (weds or so) if it's still there, I'm going to pull the spindle off my truck tuesday and take it to my mechanic to have the new hub assembly, and a new bearing pressed into it. Then once i get it back together, i'll see if it goes away.

Any ideas, thoughts, or help is greatly appreciated. I'm out of ideas

poorboyota26
05-17-2009, 11:03 PM
Hub?

tacotoy
05-17-2009, 11:04 PM
any sense if its coming from the front or the rear? maybe a loose bolt on the springs or struts? seems really weird. you didn't say if it seems to be associated with speed or with rpms?

give me a call if ya need a hand... planning on tearing down my front end early this week but i should be back up and running by Wednesday to give you a hand...

00regcab
05-17-2009, 11:24 PM
Everything under the truck is tight.

Im thinking it is the hub after i've thought about it, the front driveshaft catches a little in the t-case at speeds, so it spins the diff and the CV's (not with force, but just from inertia is my guess) and i think its that CV slapping around in the hub without a snap ring or the guts in it or anything. We'll see what happens once i get that fixed (which SHOULD be tuesday i hope)

I'll keep you posted Rich, thanks for the offer!

devinsixtyseven
05-18-2009, 10:12 AM
Im thinking it is the hub after i've thought about itYeah, that's what I was thinking too, but maybe I'm wrong...I was thinking that bronze bushing centers the stub, so without anything to center the stub, it's flopping around in there. It's probably ok until it catches whatever's surrounding it, then it's getting flung around, and the joint with it, and that much unbalanced weight (the joint, more so than the stub) is what's causing the crazy vibration.

That idea could be totally wrong...but it might be worth pulling the cv axle, throw some cardboard and duct tape over the hole in the diff and the back of the hub, and drive around a little.

fjcruzer
05-18-2009, 11:21 AM
First thing that comes to mind after you've checked everything underneath is the motor. Check the new motor mounts.

ike
05-18-2009, 11:51 AM
they were tight and uncracked when i saw it.

00regcab
05-18-2009, 01:16 PM
All mounts are OK. If it was a mount it would be constant, and not near as bad as this.

fjcruzer
05-18-2009, 01:29 PM
they were tight and uncracked when i saw it.

All mounts are OK. If it was a mount it would be constant, and not near as bad as this.

:dunno: Just throwing out ideas. You know more about it than I do.

Mythica
05-18-2009, 05:44 PM
chances are its that hub assembly.

I am sure you have, but it wont hurt to ask..... your drive shaft is balanced correctly?

When i first put my new one in i had a simular vib around 30 mph. It wasnt there until i hit 30 and went away after 35-40. I had to take it back and have them rebalance it.

good luck~!

thefatkid
05-18-2009, 06:58 PM
Sounds like death wobble, steering wheel shake much? Where did this current steering rack come from? Did you check the tie rod adjusters, and any of the rod ends loose inner or outer?

00regcab
05-18-2009, 08:21 PM
Steering wheel doesnt shake hardly at all, but the vib is felt through it (along with the rest of the truck), the rack that is in there currently has been in there for 6 months without issues, it came from ducaria on the board.

I just had the wheel re-centered, maybe the shaft is loose and slopping around? The shaft didnt go back in the correct way (in alignment) after the cab swap, so i had my mech. center it, and do an alignment. Which he cannot do an alignment since the inner tie rods have got a little more play in them now.

I didnt check nuts on the tie rod ends, but i'll do that tomorrow while im at work. That is something i missed.

mrdoug
05-18-2009, 11:23 PM
get a new hub and lock out put there yet?

tacotoy
05-18-2009, 11:24 PM
hey nate do you need inners? i pulled the brand new inners off my other rack before i trashed it....

00regcab
05-18-2009, 11:52 PM
Nope, truck is still torn apart. No hub in there yet, tomorrow MAYBE.

Rich, I do. But it'll have to wait until after my moab trip, i'm beyond broke and was fortunate enough to bum a few bucks from the folks to get the truck on the road again. PM me your price in mind.

ike
05-19-2009, 10:24 PM
Get it fixed Yet?

00regcab
05-19-2009, 10:26 PM
No, dropped the knuckle with brian tonight. Will have it back tomorrow, so it'll go in the truck thursday.

Friday night we will see if it fixes it

ike
05-19-2009, 10:28 PM
The more i think about it the more i think it should.

if not you selling the truck?

00regcab
05-19-2009, 10:31 PM
burning it

or driving it until it breaks so i know WTF it is.

RedRunnertc
05-20-2009, 10:25 AM
or driving it until it breaks so i know WTF it is.

Hey, don't be stealin' my diagnostic technique!

ike
05-20-2009, 10:37 AM
:lmao:

Avsfreak1234
05-20-2009, 10:38 AM
well nate probably wont do it as gracefully as you troy. he doesnt have the practice yet. :D

ike
05-20-2009, 10:41 AM
You did say the vibration started after you left Dougs right? Was thinking about it and i think you may have a flesh-zall in the back seat that was left on:eek:

RedRunnertc
05-20-2009, 10:43 AM
You think I break gracefully? Awww, isn't that nice of you! :D

mrdoug
05-20-2009, 11:56 AM
You did say the vibration started after you left Dougs right? Was thinking about it and i think you may have a flesh-zall in the back seat that was left on:eek:

Shit, is that where it went! my cats have been depressed all week.

00regcab
05-20-2009, 01:40 PM
So THATS whats causing this headache! Dammit doug, i told you not to leave that in my truck!

thefatkid
05-20-2009, 02:54 PM
Why is it hitting you in the head?

Kinda like on "Me, Myself, and Irene" when Irene beats that dude up with "Hanks" ass dildo.

ike
05-21-2009, 01:05 AM
:rofl:

00regcab
06-17-2009, 11:25 PM
FYI: for those who haven't heard

it was the hub/bearing/cv.... not sure which, but something in that blown up junk :p