: 6 x 9's In Rear of Taco?

hawaiianbro
07-13-2005, 04:06 PM
Just wondering if anybody has tried fitting 6x9's in the stock rear speaker location. I have some nice Infinity Reference speakers just sitting here from my old civic.

Thanks,

Kaleo

zosimov21
07-14-2005, 02:53 PM
If it's an extended cab they are already 6x9.(at least on my 04) You'd have to remount the factory clips to new speaker.

absolut taco
07-14-2005, 02:59 PM
If it's an extended cab they are already 6x9.(at least on my 04) You'd have to remount the factory clips to new speaker.
I haven't looked at mine but I thought they were 6.5"...I have a sweet pair of old Boston Acoustic 6x9 that I want to use...

hawaiianbro
07-14-2005, 04:05 PM

I'm pretty sure my 98 has 6.5"'s in the rear. I was just wondering if anyone has put 6 x 9's back there. :confused:

Toyotajoe
07-14-2005, 05:34 PM
My '98 ECab has the 6.5" rears...

nilson
07-14-2005, 05:47 PM
Later model Tacos come stock with 6x8s (I believe 01-04?) but I hear that with minor plastic trimming that 6x9s will go.

KempoStyle
07-15-2005, 12:22 AM
I have a 98 x-cab and put eclipse 6x9's in the back. I basically took the factory speaker guard and traced it onto a 3/8" piece of wood. Then cut it to fit where the factory speaker guard use to be and cut out the middle for the speaker mounting. This gave me enough backspacing to mount the speaker from the front. I then screwed the wood directly into the pannel and mounted the speaker on the wood. You can run a router around the edge to smooth it out.

Looks nice and no screws are visible.

hawaiianbro
07-15-2005, 01:48 AM
I have a 98 x-cab and put eclipse 6x9's in the back. I basically took the factory speaker guard and traced it onto a 3/8" piece of wood. Then cut it to fit where the factory speaker guard use to be and cut out the middle for the speaker mounting. This gave me enough backspacing to mount the speaker from the front. I then screwed the wood directly into the pannel and mounted the speaker on the wood. You can run a router around the edge to smooth it out.

Looks nice and no screws are visible.

Sounds great! Do you have any pics of the install or what it looks like now?

Much appreciated!

Kaleo

KempoStyle
07-15-2005, 02:41 PM
Hawaiianbro, These are the picts I have of the install. Sorry bout the quality, but that's what I get with a camera phone.

I did the install about 3 years ago with some scrap wood from a shelving project. I know it doesn't match, but the idea is there. Been meaning to redo it and make it match.

I took some rough measurements and it looks like the dimensions are 9 1/2" x 9 1/2" for the total size. I used 3" screws to attach to the inside of the panel and attach the speaker to the wood. I recommend flat head.

There are 2 screws that hold the wood to the panel. I placed them top and bottom with a countersink so the speaker would hide the heads and mount flush.

I then attached the 6x9.

I have a slight overhang of the 6x9 on the sides. Nothing that affects the seal/performance of the speaker.

I've haven't had any problems with this install. Hope this helps

TRD SyRuP
07-15-2005, 02:51 PM
you know youre a redneck when...

sploosh
09-05-2005, 08:55 AM
It's got that nice wood grain accent.

TacoRat
09-06-2005, 12:05 PM
Git'er dun! :xbeer2:
you know youre a redneck when...

J*C*M
09-06-2005, 12:38 PM
Most stereo shops are going to do the same thing, except they'll wrap the wood in carpet first then over charge you for a "custom" job... If you cut the wood down so Just about a 1" oval, so it doesn't stick out past the speaker on the sides, then just wrap a strip of carpet all the way around it looks ok, on the cheap

AngryAndy
09-06-2005, 06:18 PM
Just wondering if anybody has tried fitting 6x9's in the stock rear speaker location. I have some nice Infinity Reference speakers just sitting here from my old civic.

Thanks,

Kaleo

Hey Kaleo....

I put 6x9's in the back of my xcab...it was the first mod I think I did. If your in the area this week, or are going to Barney RIley, I will be glad to pop off the grill and show you my ghetto hack job....I seem to recall using a dremel, and cutting out the existing plastic piece....and turning the speaker so it sits at a 45 degree angle. It fit in there, and with the stock grill back on you cant even tell its in there.

hawaiianbro
09-06-2005, 06:21 PM
lol mine are also ghetto rigged....but they are in a box sitting on the back seat.

I'll check em out at barney.

kaleo

george.arnold
09-07-2005, 01:22 PM
if you go to crutchfield.com and go to the section "What fits my car?" you can enter in your year and model and it will tell you everything that fits in what location. hope that helps

audiofreak97
09-08-2005, 05:06 PM
I think the size is 6.75 for all 4 speakers. I have 5x7s in the rear, and they fit using only two screws to hold them in without any modifications to the grill or mounting hole. If I remember exactly, but I think the mounting hole for the speaker will unscrew without taking the whole back end apart (if that makes sense). Good luck with it!

hawaiianbro
09-08-2005, 05:11 PM
if you go to crutchfield.com and go to the section "What fits my car?" you can enter in your year and model and it will tell you everything that fits in what location. hope that helps

thank you captain obvious :cool:

just messin with ya, but i had these 6 x 9's sitting in my room after i had totaled my rice rocket. they are really good speakers so i decided to throw them in the taco. they sure sound great! but take up a little more space than i wanted them to.