: Will Toyota cover it?

TacoBender
07-13-2005, 09:10 PM
I just dropped off the truck and I know I have a problem where the steering wheel tilts. I have about 2-3" of circular movement in the wheel when I reach down to the fire wall and hold the steering shaft. This would lead me to believe the tilt joint is messed. The truck has 50,000 miles and I do have an Extra care extended warranty but the service writer said they might not cover it. I thought since this is not a wearable item it should be covered. What do you think?

hytenor
07-13-2005, 10:10 PM
I just dropped off the truck and I know I have a problem where the steering wheel tilts. I have about 2-3" of circular movement in the wheel when I reach down to the fire wall and hold the steering shaft. This would lead me to believe the tilt joint is messed. The truck has 50,000 miles and I do have an Extra care extended warranty but the service writer said they might not cover it. I thought since this is not a wearable item it should be covered. What do you think?

my SM would probably cover it but yours might not; it varries from dealer to dealer. What year truck? If the service manager turns you down you can go to the DSM (district service mngr) and plead your case. I've done this several times over more than 20 yrs of having Toyotas and each time either they have covered it all or we reached some sort of compromise.

TacoBender
07-13-2005, 10:30 PM
Now they are saying they can't find the problem. Its a 2001. Does anyone know what the joint is called or the parts involved in the tilt wheel? I searched under tilt wheel and found alot of info that is where I started. WHat should I go back to the dealer with? It is obvious when you hold the shaft tight and turn the steering wheel and there is a 2-3" movement, something is not right. Any ideas? Its a 2001.

thanks

hytenor
07-13-2005, 11:57 PM
Now they are saying they can't find the problem. Its a 2001. Does anyone know what the joint is called or the parts involved in the tilt wheel? I searched under tilt wheel and found alot of info that is where I started. WHat should I go back to the dealer with? It is obvious when you hold the shaft tight and turn the steering wheel and there is a 2-3" movement, something is not right. Any ideas? Its a 2001.

thanks

they can't find the problem? have you taken one of the techs for a ride to demonstrate? If they thing that much play is "normal" you need to find another dealership or do go directly to the DSM.

TacoBender
07-14-2005, 09:56 PM
Now Toy is telling me they looked at the truck all day and they can't find anything wrong. They claim the movement in the wheel is normal. It didn't do that about a month ago. What next? If I go to another dealership wont they just see that I just had it in at another dealership? What should be my next step?

cedarbarn
07-14-2005, 10:52 PM
Now Toy is telling me they looked at the truck all day and they can't find anything wrong. They claim the movement in the wheel is normal. It didn't do that about a month ago. What next? If I go to another dealership wont they just see that I just had it in at another dealership? What should be my next step?

This is a stupid question.... Do you have a steering problem when you are driving it?

TacoBender
07-15-2005, 06:22 AM
yes, it drifts alot and it never used to.

hytenor
07-15-2005, 12:50 PM

Do not pass Go. Go directly to the DSM ;) your dealer is being a dick on this one so you'll have to go over his head. Call the service manager and demand to speek to the DSM.