: Another Bilstein thread

DesertDave
07-13-2005, 11:50 PM
I apologize for probably beating a dead horse, but...

I've spent a lot of time with the 'search' function, but can't find the answer to my specific question.

I have an '04 V6 4x4 non-TRD Taco. I want to replace the crap stock shocks with Bilsteins while retaining the stock ride height. Is there a difference between the TRD Bilsteins that the dealer sells and the 'HD' Bilsteins that are available in the aftermarket? If so, which might be more appropriate for someone who does very little off-roading (but lots of snow driving), and is looking for the best on-road ride and handling? I know neither will make the truck handle like a sports car, but I want it to ride and handle at least as well as my raggedy old '92 Toyota pickup did; in it's present form, this '04 is a friggin' farm implement. :(

Also, when I replace the shocks, is it worthwhile to replace the front coils with the TRD coils? That is, will I realize any benefit from the TRD coils in street driving, or are they mainly an off-road improvement?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

hytenor
07-14-2005, 01:13 AM
I apologize for probably beating a dead horse, but...

I've spent a lot of time with the 'search' function, but can't find the answer to my specific question.

I have an '04 V6 4x4 non-TRD Taco. I want to replace the crap stock shocks with Bilsteins while retaining the stock ride height. Is there a difference between the TRD Bilsteins that the dealer sells and the 'HD' Bilsteins that are available in the aftermarket? If so, which might be more appropriate for someone who does very little off-roading (but lots of snow driving), and is looking for the best on-road ride and handling? I know neither will make the truck handle like a sports car, but I want it to ride and handle at least as well as my raggedy old '92 Toyota pickup did; in it's present form, this '04 is a friggin' farm implement. :(

Also, when I replace the shocks, is it worthwhile to replace the front coils with the TRD coils? That is, will I realize any benefit from the TRD coils in street driving, or are they mainly an off-road improvement?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

yes, there is a big difference in quality between the aftermarket HDs and the OE Bils. the Progressive TRD coils are actualy better for street than off-road.

contact Demello or Wheelers for the shocks.

If you want TRD coils check the For sale section or post a WTB for a set. make sure they are from a v6.

DesertDave
07-14-2005, 08:42 AM
Thanks for the info, hytenor. That clears up the TRD coil issue - gonna look for a set of those.

When you say there is a big difference in the quality of aftermarket HD's and the OE Bilsteins, I assume aftermarket HD's are of a higher quality than the OE version? I've checked Wheeler's and Demello, and the HD's seem to be the same price or even a bit less expensive than the OE's.

MysticGold04
07-14-2005, 09:05 AM
I've personally heard good things about the HDs, and if they are less expensive than OE Bils, thats a no-brainer... I'd also second the TRD coils for street driving... :D

hytenor
07-14-2005, 11:22 AM
Thanks for the info, hytenor. That clears up the TRD coil issue - gonna look for a set of those.

When you say there is a big difference in the quality of aftermarket HD's and the OE Bilsteins, I assume aftermarket HD's are of a higher quality than the OE version? I've checked Wheeler's and Demello, and the HD's seem to be the same price or even a bit less expensive than the OE's.
yes, much, much better than the OEs.

DesertDave
07-14-2005, 10:39 PM
Thanks for the info. I'm now ordering the HD Bils and looking for a lightly-used set of TRD coils. :)

7wt
07-14-2005, 10:50 PM
I have had the HDs on my truck for about eight months and I am really please with them. You can't go wrong.

hytenor
07-14-2005, 11:14 PM
Thanks for the info. I'm now ordering the HD Bils and looking for a lightly-used set of TRD coils. :)

post a wtb (wanted to buy) ;) they come up quite often.