: Clicking Noise

Tacoma Jake
07-14-2005, 01:22 AM
There is a clicking noise coming from under my truck, it's outside, not in the cab, and its not a clunk. Sounds like somewhere near the driveshaft. It makes the noise when I press on the gas pedal, it also does it when I let off. It seems like its just two pieces of metal that are loose and hitting together. I can faintly feel it through the gas pedal. Im afraid it may be wearing down whatever the contact point is. Its been doing it for about a month. And yes I've tried searching for other posts, but none seem to be the same clicking I'm getting.
-It's a stick if it matters.
Thank you for any help.

AK98Taco
07-14-2005, 09:23 AM
If it's a stick then I think you solved your problem... just kidding.

Park the truck and set the e-brake, leave the tranny out of gear. Jack up the rearend of the truck and support it with jackstands.

Get under the truck and turn the driveshaft. Look for where the clicking is coming from.

Sounds like a u-joint is kicking the can.

atwinda
07-14-2005, 10:24 AM
I second checking the u-joints. I'd also suggest that you give the slip yoke a fair amount of grease- and the u-joints if they check out as good.

Tacoma Jake
07-14-2005, 11:49 AM
I'll try jacking it up. I gresed the u-joints a few days ago, because I thought that might have been it, but no dice.

TacoDell
07-15-2005, 03:58 AM
Just because you lubed the u-joints don't mean they aren't going south... Also check your carrier bearing... If it's clicking when under load... got to be one of these...

atwinda
07-15-2005, 09:32 AM
did you put plenty in the slip yoke?