TTORA Forum banner

100 series 4 wheel drive system

3K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  Browncow 
#1 ·
I am looking at a 2006 land cruiser and was wondering what the 4 wheel drive system is. AWD or part time? Some of the research I have done says a rear locker was optional...Any information would be helpful.

#5 ·
Good catch... on the locker. 200 series have that optional crawl mode that works kind of like a E-Crawlbox. It's not a true crawl box but works kind of like how A-TRAC and the E-LSD work on the Tacomas. It brakes the wheels to provide the traction. It is said that you can walk away fromt he 200 series while crawl mode is engaged and allow it to walk an obstacle.

#8 ·
Your are correct. From what I understand AWD (as in the case of CR-Vs, Rav4's, ect) is a two wheel drive untill the computer senses some wheel slippage, then it send power to the other axle.

Full time 4WD is just that. But the tranfercase has clutch packs in it to allow some slippage to prevent gearbind. A center diff lock swith eliminates the 'slippage' thus giving you the same power to both front and rear drivshafts.

Part Time 4WD requires you shift into it, but is always the same power to both front and rear driveshafts.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.