: towing over 5k

Dick Cheese
07-14-2005, 10:07 PM
Hello,

I am considering buying a tacoma to tow my boat. The boat is going to weigh close to 5500 lbs. Does anybody here tow that much weight with their 05 V6's? If so how does it do? I really dont want to end up having to get an F-150. Thanks

I tried doing a search but didnt find much for people towing in this range.

AK98Taco
07-14-2005, 10:18 PM
While that is under the tow rating for a V6 with the towing package, I still don't think it's going to go real well.

I think trucks are far overated in their tow ratings. My dad has an '03 2500HD with a Duramax/Allison and it works hard enough yanking a 5000lb boat up the hills around town.

Dick Cheese
07-14-2005, 10:40 PM
Thanks I kind of figured the same thing, just hoping someone would tell me differently

Trouble towing with a duramax? What kind of grade is he towing on? I thought those trucks were rated to tow around 16k

AK98Taco
07-14-2005, 11:06 PM
Thanks I kind of figured the same thing, just hoping someone would tell me differently

Trouble towing with a duramax? What kind of grade is he towing on? I thought those trucks were rated to tow around 16k

Rating is one thing, but practice is another. It can stop the boat just fine, but the boat has brakes. The hills are steep enough to justify a sign at the top warning truckers. It can hold 50 mph going up, but accelerating is pretty much left to downshifting, but then the RPMs soar, so there basically aren't enough gears to get things just right. It's the same on the highway.

On flat ground, it can pretty much haul ass like there is nothing behind it, but those hills are still a killer, and there are lots of them where we take the boat.

calamaridog
07-15-2005, 03:25 AM
Are you towing in the hills and mountains? Are you towing far or nearby? Are you considering the longbed, as the longer wheelbase vehicle will tow more stable than the shorter wheelbase? Does the trailer have brakes (sure hope so)? Have you towed this boat previously with another vehicle?

Why an F150 instead of a Tundra? BTW, I have a very nice 2003 Tundra in the for sale section;)

Dick Cheese
07-15-2005, 09:37 AM
The towing is all flat , except on/off ramps, it does have trailer brakes, and Ive towed it before, but with a V-10 Super Duty, with that truck you couldnt even tell anything was back there. Im more worried about pulling it up a slippery boat ramp, it would suck to get the truck and find out I cant get the boat out of the lake.

I looked at the Tundra very carefully, but couldnt justify the price, the best price I could get for the truck I wanted was 7k more for a comparable F-150, and the F-150 is more capable. While being a POS I dont think Im ever gonna dump 7k into it. I dont know if its me who cant negotiate or if just that the Toyota dealerships around here are run by a bunch of asscans.

I want the Tacoma as its a lot more fun to drive and is not a POS like the F-150. Anybody else here tow over 5k? Thanks

calamaridog
07-15-2005, 10:08 AM
I hear you on the V10, tons of torque there. I've towed some heavy trailers with a Ford van equipped with the V10 no problem.

Limited slip or 4wd should help with the boat ramp. When I towed my Dad's boat, I always put the Tacoma or 4runner in 4wd on the ramp, just in case.

Funny how Toyota doesn't have to be flexable with their prices and they still post record sales and profits. The new F150 is actually not so terrible.

(Personally, I would buy my nice used Tundra for sale:D Hint Hint)

Actually, I would go for the larger truck but that is just me.

Dick Cheese
07-15-2005, 10:39 AM
The F-150 in terms of comfort, power, style, and capability is the best full size truck on the road. Only problem is I know Ford quality well. I have always bought Fords just because they were awesome towing, but I hated them because they have all been garbage in terms of build quality and reliability, so I start looking at Tundras, then realize they are not cost effective, so I start looking at the Tacoma. Its a lot of fun to drive and has a great engine, just not sure about the towing.

Toyota can price their cars at a premium and people will still buy their vehicles because of their quality. They dont have to pay you to buy their trucks like Ford and GM.

Well, If I have to step up and get a full size truck its most likely going to be the Ford, I also dont see much difference in terms of capability between the Tundra and the Tacoma, but I've noticed quite a bit of dfference in terms of price.

This really blows, when is Toyota planning on rolling out the next generation Tundra? Probably just in time for me to buy the POS Ford

hytenor
07-15-2005, 01:57 PM
Hello,

I am considering buying a tacoma to tow my boat. The boat is going to weigh close to 5500 lbs. Does anybody here tow that much weight with their 05 V6's? If so how does it do? I really dont want to end up having to get an F-150. Thanks

I tried doing a search but didnt find much for people towing in this range.

don't even bother, LOL. get a 3/4 ton tow rig ;) Even a F150 or GM equivelant will have a little trouble with 5500# on a regular basis.

check the new Dodge Power Wagon...awesome as a full-size 4x4 rig but then there's that little problem with reliability :rolleyes:

Dick Cheese
07-15-2005, 02:44 PM
The Dodge is a bigger POS than the Ford (if thats possible). They need to make a tranny that will last longer than 30k. Awesome for towing though.

I guess the bright side is that with Fords employee discount the Ford is gonna be cheaper than the tacoma.

I know as soon as I get the Ford Toyota is gonna announce their new Tundra and I'm gonna be pissed.

Thanks for the help everybody. Why does Toyota give the Tacoma such a high tow rating if its not gonna be able to adequately tow that amount?

peekay331
07-15-2005, 02:59 PM
The Dodge is a bigger POS than the Ford (if thats possible). They need to make a tranny that will last longer than 30k. Awesome for towing though.

I guess the bright side is that with Fords employee discount the Ford is gonna be cheaper than the tacoma.

I know as soon as I get the Ford Toyota is gonna announce their new Tundra and I'm gonna be pissed.

Thanks for the help everybody. Why does Toyota give the Tacoma such a high tow rating if its not gonna be able to adequately tow that amount?
im a bit confused. you think a tundra is overpriced? have you seen the prices on a 05 tacoma? they oftentimes cost the same or even more than a similar tundra with the 2500 rebate. here in socal, we have 2wd v8 tundra accesscabs going for 20-22k brand new every week in the paper. a prerunner taco will cost you roughly the same.

i almost bought, but pussied out the last minute, a brand new 2005 v8 tundra 4wd limited for 23500 two months ago, msrp was 32500. and look at it this way, unless you really intend on keeping the truck til its worth next to nothing, a few thousand more now will just mean a few thousand more when you sell it in 3 years.

also, with regards to towing. i tow a 4500pd loaded travel trailer all the time with my 01 v6. it does better than most people ever think-even up steep freeway grades-just keep it at 55mph on the hills and be patient. my parents tow the same load with their 05 v6 4runner and it's amazingly easy. another guy on the board, tows a 5500 toy box with his v8 tundra or v8 4runner quite easily.

the key is to keep it in perspective. a 5500 pd load will be noticeable to all but the largest trucks. i think too many people expect their trucks to pull such a large load 80mph up the baker grade in 105 degree heat zig zagging traffic with no problems. that is a ridiculous expectation and good luck in life to those that feel that way.

Rob
07-15-2005, 03:02 PM
Don't buy a Ford, get the Tundra. Or get the Tacoma and get a lighter boat.

hytenor
07-15-2005, 03:04 PM

The 3.4 Taco will pull the weight, that's not the issue. With trailer brakes a 5k# load is no biggie but don't expect the truck to last if this is done on a regular basis. Clutches will wear out way faster and w/o a cooler the AT will crap out eventually. It is just recommended that if a true tow rig is needed to get a good sized v8...or better yet, a diesel.

hytenor
07-15-2005, 03:11 PM
Don't buy a Ford, get the Tundra. Or get the Tacoma and get a lighter boat. What about the Titan? one of my neghbors has one...that sucker is huge compared to my Taco, LOL

Roach437
07-15-2005, 10:25 PM
I had to change my gears from 4.10's to 4.56's to tow my bass boat up hills. It helped a lot, but was pricey.

jr711
07-20-2005, 03:46 PM
back in march i was in the doctors office(borrowed it). i started reading a boat magazine "Trailer Boats." Anyways they had a midsized pick up truck shoot out. They had 5 trucks nissan frontier, gmc canyon, dodge dakota, ford ranger and the toyota tacoma. They tested all 5 pulling a 3900 lbs boat. And they tested the frontier, tacoma and dakota with a 6000 lbs boat and trailer.

http://www.trailerboats.com/output.cfm?id=944533

i don't think the online article includes the test run for the frontier, tacoma and dakota. the frontier sagged 1.5", the dakota 3" and the tacoma 3.75" if i remember correctly. But the testers favored the tacoma more than the others, but said all were capable of towing the load.

Intrepid
07-20-2005, 03:48 PM
Glanced really quickly at the topic title and though it was written by Dick Foster, so I had to look again. Any relation, haha.

hawaiianbro
07-20-2005, 05:03 PM
2001 Dodge CTD X-Cab......mmmmm. Anybody seen the twin turbo kits that are out for those things? Some of them are poppin out 600hp with 800 lbs of torque. That should be enough to tow a boat through the mountains?

rudeman
06-25-2007, 11:02 AM
I am curious myself regarding the towing experiences Tacoma owners have. I just picked up an 2007 Dbl Cab 4x4 Sport. It has the tow package with the tranny cooler and i want to pick up a trailer, something light like 5500lbs. I figured if I put some air bags in it, it should do okaywith that 4 ltr motor and trailer brakes. Anyone out there doing it? Do they make a supercharger kit of newer tacos?

amp2oo1
06-25-2007, 11:12 AM
? Do they make a supercharger kit of newer tacos?

www.urdusa.com

94runner
06-25-2007, 11:25 AM
the new fords have a turbo charger for the turbo charger:) the CTD are badass IMHO definatley alot of power there.

adkfreeridex
06-25-2007, 12:25 PM
my 01 tows my boat with out a problem. the boat/trailer weighs in at 3700 tho. but where i tow it is not by anymeans flat and its for about 90 miles. 3rd gear and it goes right up steep hills and with some light braking and downshifting, downhill is a not a problem. 5th gear on the highway doing 65 is also fairily easy for the truck to do. pulling the boat from the water is a joke. 4lo in 1st and you just let off the clutch and it crawls right out. also the boat is a center console, so air resistence is plays a small role it think. that said, with a 05 v6 and trailer brakes, i think you wont have too many issues with towing that boat. but this is just what i think, never have dont it.

Boheefus
06-25-2007, 12:36 PM
my buddy tows my boat with his 05 Dcab, it weighs in at close to 4k lbs. It is not the best up tall hills (i live in a saddle) but handles it just fine otherwise, he has the 6sp manual in it.