: Hard Jerk When Driving

4runner54
06-10-2009, 01:05 PM
I have a 1991 4Runner 3.0 5 spd. When I am driving on the city streets or freeway I have a one or two second hard jerk and then continues smooth again. Doesn't do it wheeling only on smooth roads. No engine light as new tune up complete and 02 tested ecm, mass air flow meter, distributor, coil, no codes, added grounds and cleaned old ones. The next thing is to drop tank, installing new fuel pump and relay. I know everybody is going to say put a 3.4 in it. I have to make good with what I have. Any ideas?????

purity
06-10-2009, 01:18 PM
what do you mean jerk? does it suddenly stall then surge with power? does the wheel jerk from straight to one side or the other? are you doing something you shouldnt be driving with one hand?

taconasty
06-10-2009, 03:26 PM
first off, ease up on your grip :jack:
what about spark plug wires, a bad wire will do this. also maybe dist cap? also thinking about maybe a fuel pump on its way out. just some ideas..

Oppositeboy
06-10-2009, 03:38 PM
what do you mean jerk? does it suddenly stall then surge with power? does the wheel jerk from straight to one side or the other? are you doing something you shouldnt be driving with one hand?

Good question. Sounds like it stalls and surges. I was thinking it was a steering issue by the wording.

To the OP, check your fuel filter(s) if it sounds like a fuel issue to you.

4runner54
06-10-2009, 08:04 PM
It is just a momentary loss of power. One to two seconds. No check engine light, no codes. Has new plugs, wires, cap, rotor and a new 02 sensor. Will be changing fuel pump, fuel filter and fuel pump relay. We did get a dealer recall for the steering relay rod and it was done last week. Sorry new to posting threads and again sorry I did not make myself clear any ideas??????:confused: