: Air Bag Light Fix?

JDM PUNK
07-10-2009, 03:29 PM
ok so my air bag light has been on ever since i bought the truck, about 5-6 months, and my buddy works at toyota so he hooked up the snap-on scanner and he came up with nothing, he said it was very werid most of the time they will have some kind of code, so he got the air bag tech guy to come look at it and he was also puzzeled, and he said that when you turn the key off the air bag light should go out fast like all the other lights, but it doesn't, it dims out slowly,..So he said that I need a new Air Bag ECM (Brain)...So it said it was about 500-600 bucks!..So I looked on ebay and found this,....http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/TOYOTA-SRS-AIRBAG-AIR-BAG-COMPUTER-MODULE-TACOMA-TUNDRA_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trkparmsZalgoQ3dSIQ26its Q3dIQ252BCQ26ituQ3dUCIQ252BUAQ252BFICSQ26otnQ3d15Q 26poQ3dLVIQ26psQ3d54QQ_trksidZp3907Q2em263QQcatego ryZ33719QQitemZ180380065446

They say they will reset and fix it, because I think my truck was in a crash because my buddy said it has a different fender and the whole truck was just repainted before i bought it, so my guess is that they went off and nobody has reset it,.....So what do you guys think?......Scam or will it fix my air bag light so that they will go off if I ever get in a crash?....

hytenor
07-10-2009, 03:49 PM
ok so my air bag light has been on ever since i bought the truck, about 5-6 months, and my buddy works at toyota so he hooked up the snap-on scanner and he came up with nothing, he said it was very werid most of the time they will have some kind of code, so he got the air bag tech guy to come look at it and he was also puzzeled, and he said that when you turn the key off the air bag light should go out fast like all the other lights, but it doesn't, it dims out slowly,..So he said that I need a new Air Bag ECM (Brain)...So it said it was about 500-600 bucks!..So I looked on ebay and found this,....http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/TOYOTA-SRS-AIRBAG-AIR-BAG-COMPUTER-MODULE-TACOMA-TUNDRA_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trkparmsZalgoQ3dSIQ26its Q3dIQ252BCQ26ituQ3dUCIQ252BUAQ252BFICSQ26otnQ3d15Q 26poQ3dLVIQ26psQ3d54QQ_trksidZp3907Q2em263QQcatego ryZ33719QQitemZ180380065446

They say they will reset and fix it, because I think my truck was in a crash because my buddy said it has a different fender and the whole truck was just repainted before i bought it, so my guess is that they went off and nobody has reset it,.....So what do you guys think?......Scam or will it fix my air bag light so that they will go off if I ever get in a crash?....

does your horn work? if not the spiral cable is busted.

JDM PUNK
07-10-2009, 09:33 PM
Yep horn works!..and the truck didn't come with CC,

EnolaGaia
07-11-2009, 07:35 AM
What year is your Tacoma?

I don't think the SRS ECU explains the problem you describe (the passenger airbag indicator fading out rather than shutting off).

At least for the 2001 - 2004 generation, the indicator lamp is powered straight off a hot line and switched by the key-turn switch. The center airbag sensor / controller unit doesn't have any direct control over the indicator lamp.

If the switch is not disengaging or the lamp unit's built-in electronic component (diode? resistor?) is faulty that would explain the behavior.

I'd start with the switch / indicator unit itself. Just my .02 ...

JDM PUNK
07-11-2009, 01:42 PM
Mine is a 98,

EnolaGaia
07-12-2009, 08:19 AM
Mine is a 98,

OK ...

The wiring is the same as for the 2001 - 2004 generation. The passenger airbag indicator lamp is powered off its own dedicated power line, and triggered by the manual cutoff switch.

JDM PUNK
07-13-2009, 09:55 AM
I only have one air bag light,...Why do you call it the passenger air bag light?....I'm totally clueless when it comes to these thing thats why I'm asking,...Thanks!

drinkintedbr
07-13-2009, 03:47 PM
because there is a switch that turns the passenger airbag on/off on your dash. I forgot to plug mine back in a couple of years ago when putting a new CD player in my 99 and it will cause the light to go on.

Also, if you broke it when removing the center piece of the dash, from what I can remember it is an expensive connector.

Check that first. It takes 2 minutes.

JDM PUNK
07-13-2009, 04:17 PM
Yep I did check that,..It's good to go!

tacoray4x4
07-13-2009, 04:37 PM
I wouldn't trust my life to some $40 ebay airbag reset scam.

They probably just disable the system so the light never comes on, but that also means the airbags don't work.

If you truck has been in an accident, and you don't know who repaired it and what they replaced, you need to inspect both airbags, and both sensors. And the front seatbelts too. The center airbag unit has a decel sensor in it that has to be replaced after activation. I've never heard of a reset procedure, and unless it came from Toyota, I wouldn't trust it.

Don't put a new control unit in without testing the front sensors, if they are both tripped, there is a chance the bags will go off as soon as you plug that thing in. I've seen it happen, but don't remember the exact circumstances.

Your problem sounds more electrical, make sure the control unit has the correct power sources and grounds, and the bulb wiring isn't shorted.

JDM PUNK
07-13-2009, 05:38 PM
Very True!...I guess I'll have to bust out the test light and start poking around???

tacoray4x4
07-13-2009, 05:48 PM
Very True!...I guess I'll have to bust out the test light and start poking around???

Poke around with a wiring diagram so you know what to expect. And use a multimeter, not a test light.

JDM PUNK
07-13-2009, 10:41 PM
Oh ok good call!...Any Idea where I could find a Air Bag diagram?

toymota
07-13-2009, 11:38 PM
Does this help? Diagram (http://www.ncttora.com/fsm/2000/Wiring%20Diagrams/SRS.pdf)

There is lots more in there. Tips hints and precautions for handling and servicing the SRS system.

drinkintedbr
07-14-2009, 01:40 AM
FYI An OEM airbag computer was around $550 when I got mine wet. No way in hell would I trust a $40 one

EnolaGaia
07-14-2009, 05:33 PM
I only have one air bag light,...Why do you call it the passenger air bag light?....I'm totally clueless when it comes to these thing thats why I'm asking,...Thanks!

Maybe I misunderstood which lamp you were referring to. Is it:

- the SRS warning indicator (little airbag icon) on the instrument cluster?

OR

- the deactivation warning lamp on your passenger airbag switch?

I thought you were referring to this last one.

JDM PUNK
07-14-2009, 09:26 PM
Sorry it is the little guy with an Air Bag going off in his face on my gauge cluster,..lol...And I think that Diagram my help,...

4wheeltaco
07-15-2009, 08:00 PM
does your horn work? if not the spiral cable is busted.

wait my airbag light is on an my horn dont work. so would it be the spiral cable busted?? is that the clock spring or no?

EnolaGaia
07-15-2009, 10:10 PM
wait my airbag light is on an my horn dont work. so would it be the spiral cable busted?? is that the clock spring or no?

That combination of symptoms is a strong clue that it's the spiral cable.

jason perreira
07-27-2009, 11:11 PM
That combination of symptoms is a strong clue that it's the spiral cable.

sounds like you may have a spiral cable problem ive never seen a light go dim like your before. usually even if the light goes off a code is usually stored in the air bag ecu. most common codes i see for these trucks are short to B+ . replacing the air bag center module usuallyfixes it.