: ebay cheapo snatch blocks?

Trevor 3blacktoys
07-14-2009, 12:19 PM
Anyone tried them? Thougts/comments? http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=110404774974&ssPageName=ADME:B:WNAFP:MOTORS:1123

I have no idea if/when I will use one, but figured having something is better than nothing. I really don't feel like dropping $60.00 bones on a Warn. If I used weekly, or hell, even monthly, I'd pay more.

Side note - has anyone had any issues running synth line with snatch-blocks?

NEV2DEP
07-14-2009, 12:49 PM
I have no experience with the block listed on eBay. But
recovery gear is not someplace I would skimp to save some coin. When you need recovery gear you need something that isnít going to fail and injury you or someone else.:2cents:

Trevor 3blacktoys
07-14-2009, 02:40 PM
LOL.....I 100% knew that was coming. was just hoping someone'd chime in and say "I bought one of those 3 years ago and used every other day without any problems"
Wishfull thinking. :D

toymota
07-14-2009, 02:43 PM
Synthetic line is fine on a block. I do not know if that one is good. It would seem that a snatch block really couldn't be too fubared from china, but then again they may have used inferior steel. Then you'd wind up like those people in africa with big plates in their lips when that pulley went zinging. Personally, I'd go for one that I know is good, but maybe someone else will chime in with a success story.

drinkintedbr
07-14-2009, 02:44 PM
I have no experience with the block listed on eBay. But
recovery gear is not someplace I would skimp to save some coin. When you need recovery gear you need something that isnít going to fail and injury you or someone else.:2cents:

x2

I have seen what towing/recovery guys use, and when I get back in the market once winch prices come back down, that is the way I am going to go. It is unbelievable the quality of the pins/pulleys/locks of some of the better stuff that they use.

Overkill is never a bad thing when you are staring at 9klbs of force on a 5/16" cable attached to a single hook. I have seen a good bit of stuff break and if you can rule out something by saving up for another week or two, is it worth the side of someone's head?

hytenor
07-14-2009, 05:40 PM
x2
skimping on recovery gear can be extremely dangerous. would you trust your rig or your buddy's to a block that has absolutely no certification for what load it can handle?

cheap gear could potentially have killed several people on this recovery.
http://www.ttora.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1618759&postcount=79

do it right or don't bother.