TTORA Forum banner

New to me FJ60!

8K views 27 replies 14 participants last post by  RCFJ40 
#1 ·
Hey everyone My name is Robert I am a newbie here and haven't really posted on TTORA that much but I think i will change now, I just picked up this 84 FJ60 today and I plan on bringing it back from the "depths" to restore it to its original glory (Plus a few extra parts:)) I have owned several Toyotas and never really had the opportunity (or money) to do anything with them but a new job brings me to a great opportunity. This FJ will be my DD/Family Expedition Vehicle. Here are a few pics.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Interrior looks nice, body looks clean, any rust? Looks like a good find and welcome to ttora. :)

#3 ·
Not too much rust, the undercarrige has the "rust flakes" but i think it will be fine I plan on taking it to rhino linings or LineX to have the underside sprayed as well as the back cargo area. The body is actually pretty rust free even in the usual areas like the tail gate so thats a plus the engine could use a tune up but I drove it 50 miles home and it got me there just fine, biggest problem is the seals on the drivetrain the rear diff leaks a bit so does the transfer case but hey is 25 years old and I got a screaming deal on it plus it will give me a chance to get familiar with the rig.

#6 ·
Ah Crap!

Well On its maiden voyage the pinion bearing decided to grenade on me good thing I was coming home from work :banghead:Took the Axle apart and found that my third member is toast so im ordering a used third member so I can get back on the road, I plan on getting a full floating axle for the rear so ill replace all the seals and bearings when the time comes. In the meantime here are a few pics of the carnage and axle. http://ttora.com/forum/member.php?u=21539#top

#8 ·
Holy Crap! They had another one on there too this stupid kid keyed the crap out of it before driving it off to get a VW Rabbit, A f-ing Rabbit! How stupid. This program is BS. By the way did you see the toyota comercial for cash for clunkers it shows an animation of a FJ60 being crushed, im pissed.

#13 ·
Got the tax return!! Ordered some much needed seatbelts from CCOT, the passenger side one was crap it has a cut in it half way through the belt, so now i can have a passenger in the front seat safely lol. I also figured I would get a new one for myself as well. Im also headed down to Macco to get a quote for a paint job, I don't need it to be showroom quality, just a coat to make it ONE color!

#16 ·
Funny you should ask that, I dropped off "Old Blue" today at Macco for a little touch up, as you can see from the pics its a few different colors, I'm having them paint it code 860 or sky blue the same as it came from the factory, I'm not spending a fortune on the paint job, but i did get a good deal from them, I will post pics on Thursday or Friday depending on when I get it back. I can't wait to see it all one color lol!

#20 ·
looks like they did a good job. Any complaints? I've been considering getting a maacos paint job but i've been hesitant because of all the horror stories.

#21 ·
Thanks for all the support guys. As for the job I think they did great! I mean hey with what they had to work with I think they did just fine. Like I said, I wasn't looking for show room quality just wanted to preserve it and make it all one color. Only thing I would recommend is taking off any trim you might have even the antenna and mirrors yourself, It save on prep time for one and two you have all the parts in your garage, They lost the cover to my mirror, the part that hides the screws, but I don't really care all that much because I'm going to get the FJ62 mirrors from CCOT, that way I can see a hell of alot better when backing up.

#22 ·
Gonna get a front bumper made for old blue this week hopefully. A buddy of mine gave me a 6.6' piece of 2x6 square tubing and some 1/4" thick steel plate for the bumper, another friend of mine will help me weld it up. I have a simple design and it should only take a day to make so wish me luck, ill have pics up soon.:D

#23 ·
I have an 84 FJ60rust free.mostly original except for suspension, tires and centre console. love it. runs great, handles the trails great, has character that a new Jeep wont have. That being said.it rides rough, there is always something to tinker with especially if previous owner was an idiot.but they are awesome rigs. Kind of like a stripper high maintenance and sometimes a pain in the ass but when you are driving her hard this not anything else like it.

#26 ·
Nice van.

If you havent found ih8mud.com yet.......... youll be in heaven.

D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.