: Wrecked the truck

gtrotter
09-02-2009, 03:27 PM
Well, I wrecked the truck today. Some jackass tried turning from the far left lane into a parking lot. He hit me instead. Knocked me sideways into a big ass curb, went airborne, and screwed some major shit up. Most likely totalled.

Check list of stuff broken/messed up:
frame
axle twisted
wheel won't turn on one side
bed messed up
gas cap messed up
door messed up
cab messed up
stuff twisted off frame
taillight broken
bumper messed up front/rear
wheel messed up
tire flat

http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/ee178/gjtrotter/0902091426-01.jpg

http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/ee178/gjtrotter/0902091426-02.jpg

http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/ee178/gjtrotter/0902091429-01.jpg

http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/ee178/gjtrotter/0902091429-02.jpg

http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/ee178/gjtrotter/0902091432-00.jpg

http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/ee178/gjtrotter/0902091433-01.jpg

Hoss
09-02-2009, 03:35 PM
Your PM box is full.

I need to confirm your PP addy.

jason6746
09-02-2009, 03:38 PM
holy crap that sucks. are you ok?

redbirdrunner
09-02-2009, 03:51 PM
Did you slap the stupid sob?

Fuod
09-02-2009, 04:04 PM
Sorry to hear man! At least it's not your fault, there's always the chance you can come out ahead.

NwiTACO
09-02-2009, 04:05 PM
Hopefully the police report says it was his fault. Sorry to hear about this...always something...

Full_Tilt_Fud
09-02-2009, 04:10 PM
That does not look bad at all...........Our dealership has a body shop and even if there is frame damage I still have seen a hell of alot worse be fixed especially since it is a 09 and the cutoff line for being totaled is a percentage of the vehicles total value.

If they do total it buy that bitch back........if you don't want to let me know how much.......I would interested.

I hope you are OK......I know it sucks.......I just went through it a few monthes ago.

gtrotter
09-02-2009, 04:16 PM
Your PM box is full.

I need to confirm your PP addy.

ygpm

gtrotter
09-02-2009, 04:20 PM
Luckily, the police report lists him at fault. Unfortunately, he is uninsured.

More damage to list...back of cab in two spots, toolbox messed up a bit. I know for sure the axle will need to be replaced. Both rear leaf springs, spring mounts, as well as the shock mounts will need to be replaced. Looking at it some more, the bed is royally tweaked, as well as the tailgate.

I am sorta ok. Hurt my head and harm, so I am going to the doctor right now to get checked out.

The kicker...I got hit by a damn Heep, er I mean Jeep.

natetru
09-02-2009, 04:23 PM
damn..is your new bumper gonna fit still?

gtrotter
09-02-2009, 04:29 PM
damn..is your new bumper gonna fit still?

not getting it now...if the truck is totalled, which the wrecker guys says it is, I am going to buy an old yoter.

brinner
09-02-2009, 05:32 PM
ouch

95toyotan
09-02-2009, 06:09 PM
Dam...That sucks!

HoosierTacoma08
09-02-2009, 07:52 PM
Sorry to hear this trotter. :(

ron86toy
09-02-2009, 09:08 PM
Trotter....sorry man......but if they total it....tell them you need some time with it to pull your toolbox and whatnot off of it.....then take it to Harlan and have a frickin blast with no remorse.....when you get home call them and say..."OK...it ready to be picked up"

At least thats what I would do....I will even offer towing it back for you if it gets FUBAR...I can have the wife drive the tow rig and I will drive my Toy

gtrotter
09-02-2009, 09:45 PM
lol I thought about that, but it isn't drivable at all. Rear axle is locked up on passenger side, leaf springs are twisted and spring hangers are twisted off the frame. Axle is twisted out of location too. Good news is, in 4lo it pulled it's own ass off the road. :D

If they buy it off me, I will be getting all the good shit off, like toolbox, fogs, skidplate, wheels/tires, etc. Then I will be picking myself up an old toyota. I found a white reg cab 85 for sale near me for 1800 that I might get.

slander
09-02-2009, 09:55 PM
Glad to hear your okay! That looks like the dies of my truck, except i backed into the side of a jeep and the rest is trail damage!! Buy it back and make it a trail rig, or sell it to full tilt, if he doesnt buy it i may!!!

gtrotter
09-02-2009, 09:56 PM
Naw, I won't be buying it back. I am taking this opportunity to get out of payments since I have been laid off since February.

Fuod
09-02-2009, 10:37 PM
Naw, I won't be buying it back. I am taking this opportunity to get out of payments since I have been laid off since February.
Please someone correct me if I'm wrong (I've never totaled a vehicle), but if it's totaled your insurance will pay it off for you minus your deductible.

I think you should find out what the buy back is and either talk to Full-Tilt (or Slander) about it or post it on the national board. Then take the money from that to buy the 85 you found (or maybe something better). Of course I'm assuming the buy back is less then what you can re-sell if for.

There are a lot of guys in this club that would like an '09 to turn into a trail rig, so I honestly think you can turn this into a positive thing!

I'm not saying take advantage of any member, but definitely take advantage of the situation! Make it work for you!

gtrotter
09-03-2009, 04:14 AM
I think if it is totaled, then they will basically give me the money it would take to go out and buy another truck just like it. Right now, I am looking at getting maybe 18 or 19k for it. Funny part is, I only gave a hair over 19k for it to start with my parents' employee discount. So if all works out, I will have driven this truck for nearly a year and 25k miles, and not lose a damn dime. Oh, and since it wasn't my fault, I don't have to pay a deductible. Once I pay off the loan, which has hardly any money left on it, I will enough money to go out and buy a fairly nice truck.

So here is the plan, if it is totaled:
Pay off the loan
Go buy that 85
mod the shit outta of it and show nate how to beat the shit out of a truck

twentyfootdaredevil
09-03-2009, 07:33 AM
Find out what the buy back is....I might get it off you.

It had the 4.0 right?

gtrotter
09-03-2009, 08:16 AM
naw, it had the 2.7 and 5 speed...but that would be sweet if it had the 4.0 . I will definitely check out what buyback is if they don't total it. I just talked to the lady, and on the 09's, it generally takes 70% of the vehicles value to total it.

99sr54wd
09-03-2009, 08:30 AM
glad you are ok, man.

pay attention to your neck and lower back, i had a similar accident in 99, the neck pain didn't come up till a week later. thought i'm tough guy just ride it out, but that was a big "Fail" on me. it bothered me for more than 3 months. if i started to take care of it right a way, it shouldn't last more than couple weeks.

good luck with rest of the truck, if you have a place to keep it, buy it back.

natetru
09-03-2009, 04:36 PM
gtrotter, sell you my 4runner for 2500 with out the wheels and 35s 3k with........

gtrotter
09-03-2009, 06:54 PM
gtrotter, sell you my 4runner for 2500 with out the wheels and 35s 3k with........

I dunno if I've seen it...got pics or anything? Specs?

natetru
09-03-2009, 07:51 PM
http://www.ttora.com/forum/picture.php?albumid=2&pictureid=1798
http://www.ttora.com/forum/picture.php?albumid=2&pictureid=1799

1990, v6 dual borla exhaust, automatic, needs power steering pump replaced(replacement included) could use some doors( at least pass front, others are fixable....rust). sitting on 35" bfg m/ts now with chrome a/r wheels...check your text msgs for current pic of tires

gtrotter
09-03-2009, 08:30 PM
txt message? I didn't get a txt. Anyways, let me think it over. I am really needing something that can haul a 4wheeler, but I will definitely think about it.

ron86toy
09-03-2009, 10:32 PM
I am really needing something that can haul a 4wheeler

put a roof rack on it...I have done it with a rental Grand Cherokee before

Thats not a bad price on that Nate.....were the heads done w/the recall or unknown?

natetru
09-04-2009, 06:19 AM
i would have to say unknown at this time. do they mark the vehicle after the recall is done? only problem i kno is that power steering leaks and needs a lil body work. has what looks like a 4 inch procomp explorer lift kit. and it has some 2inch .250 wall sliders i made up....dont need to sell....but i am kinda looking at the 84 in north carolina.....

gtrotter
09-04-2009, 08:47 AM
put a roof rack on it...I have done it with a rental Grand Cherokee before

Thats not a bad price on that Nate.....were the heads done w/the recall or unknown?

yeahhhhh...I don't think I want to be running 80 mph down the interstate with a 4 wheeler strapped to the roof lol

NwiTACO
09-04-2009, 08:55 AM
Four wheelers are :supergay:...:rofl:

At least this may be for the best in the long run, as it gets you out from under the truck, since your job situation/search hasn't been the best. Wish you all the best of luck, Grant.

natetru
09-04-2009, 10:05 AM
who needs a four wheeler when you drive a yota?

NwiTACO
09-04-2009, 10:17 AM
who needs a four wheeler when you drive a yota?

That's right, son! :kewl:

gtrotter
09-04-2009, 12:01 PM
Just talked to the adjuster...jackass said it wasn't totaled. Refused to pay for the axle, claimed "it just needs an axle shaft," when the axle housing is visibly bent. Then, he claims the frame isn't bent, when I can easily tell it is. He said that he would give me frame time to check it out though. He lowballed every figure he came up with, just because " it has mud underneath it, you are hard on your truck." Words don't begin to described how pissed off I am right now. It would have been totaled if he hadn't lowballed stuff and decided not to replace the axle and do the frame. For god sakes, the spring hangers were twisted off the fucking frame! When I get it back, it will be up for sale or traded in. Anyone want to buy a tacoma?

/rant

NwiTACO
09-04-2009, 12:05 PM
Just talked to the adjuster...jackass said it wasn't totaled. Refused to pay for the axle, claimed "it just needs an axle shaft," when the axle housing is visibly bent. Then, he claims the frame isn't bent, when I can easily tell it is. He said that he would give me frame time to check it out though. He lowballed every figure he came up with, just because " it has mud underneath it, you are hard on your truck." Words don't begin to described how pissed off I am right now. It would have been totaled if he hadn't lowballed stuff and decided not to replace the axle and do the frame. For god sakes, the spring hangers were twisted off the fucking frame! When I get it back, it will be up for sale or traded in. Anyone want to buy a tacoma?

/rant

No need to get pissed...just take it to a few shops and get estimates. When they see what it is actually gonna cost, not what the adjuster thinks, they will total it.

gtrotter
09-04-2009, 12:06 PM
yeah but this just puts me out longer without a vehicle...at a time I am trying to line up a job for myself. Anybody up for having a fight night so I can let out some frustration?

natetru
09-04-2009, 12:31 PM
still sell you this runner pretty cheap!

gtrotter
09-05-2009, 07:57 PM
Been doing a little cost figuring. If they just fix it, I can get moeny from the insurance agency for value loss on my truck due to the accident. With that money and the discount I automatically get on new Toyotas will leave me owing on the new truck what I owe on this one.:D

Now the question is...what color should I get? I want white, but it seems for 2010 they don't off it on the regular cab 4x4's? Might go with that dark green color. This time around, I will be getting the bucket seats option, which you don't see too often. Unfortunately fellas, if I do that, the new truck won't go offroad hardly at all for a few years. Going to keep it nice, and buy an old yota when I go back to work.

natetru
09-05-2009, 09:56 PM
so it will go offroad almost as much as your white truck huh? lol

gtrotter
09-06-2009, 08:29 AM
Hey, at least I made a few trails, got stuck once or twice and whatnot...you try doing that in a new truck. I even had a little body damage to prove it.:D

Anyways, the new truck will stay the dd, and I will just buy an old toyota to beat the crap out of/not worry about.

NwiTACO
09-06-2009, 09:23 AM
...you try doing that in a new truck...

Been there...done that...next question? :D

gtrotter
09-06-2009, 09:32 AM
I'm talking less than 200 miles on it...the white one was in the river bottoms before I ever saw 200 miles on the odo or found ttora.

NwiTACO
09-06-2009, 09:38 AM
I'm talking less than 200 miles on it...the white one was in the river bottoms before I ever saw 200 miles on the odo or found ttora.

I hear...wah wah wah, just hassling ya. Got mine with 6k, wheeled at 6005.

natetru
09-06-2009, 01:14 PM
my dad wrecked his 08 d.c. yesterday. thinks its totaled. hoping for a low buy back and i will have 08 that needs new front!!!! x yer fingers

gtrotter
09-06-2009, 01:28 PM
he ok?

natetru
09-06-2009, 02:47 PM
broke thumb and bruised chest/abdomen from impact.......

amp2oo1
09-06-2009, 06:18 PM

So if all works out, I will have driven this truck for nearly a year and 25k miles, and not lose a damn dime.
So here is the plan, if it is totaled:
Pay off the loan
Go buy that 85
mod the shit outta of it and show nate how to beat the shit out of a truck

Glad to hear you are ok! I will say the above statements sound very wise (getting out of debt while not having a job). But this -

Been doing a little cost figuring. If they just fix it, I can get moeny from the insurance agency for value loss on my truck due to the accident. With that money and the discount I automatically get on new Toyotas will leave me owing on the new truck what I owe on this one.:D

Now the question is...what color should I get? I want white, but it seems for 2010 they don't off it on the regular cab 4x4's? Might go with that dark green color. This time around, I will be getting the bucket seats option, which you don't see too often. Unfortunately fellas, if I do that, the new truck won't go offroad hardly at all for a few years. Going to keep it nice, and buy an old yota when I go back to work.

doesn't seem as wise. I'm not trying to start any BS at all, just hoping you aren't getting blinded by the fact that you can basically get a new truck and not be out any ADDITIONAL money. I think your original train of thought was a good one, and I hope whatever you choose to do works out for you.

Again, not trying to start up anything & glad to hear you are ok. Just something to think about :)

natetru
09-06-2009, 06:51 PM
doesn't seem as wise. :)

i 2nd that.....if you are not workin steady, why take the chance of burdoning yourself more? think about it good before you jump....and if you arent workin, how the hell you gona get a loan?

gtrotter
09-06-2009, 08:45 PM
The first plan was if it wasn't totaled...obviously I want it to be totaled, because then I wouldn't have a payment on anything and could ride out the storm easier. Now if they don't total, I think we can all agree the truck will never quite be the same.
Look at it this way:
I will owe the same amount of money whether I keep this truck or buy a new one. Would you rather have a wrecked truck and owe 10k on it, or have a brand new, 0 miles truck, and owe 10k on it?

Another kick in the nuts yesterday, btw,...truck payment came in the mail.:mad:

natetru
09-06-2009, 09:05 PM
i guess i am just cornfused on how you can have the same amount in both and how you can get loans without a job......but hell aint none a my beeswax anyway.....good luck

gtrotter
09-06-2009, 09:21 PM
the loan is not a problem...I have perfect credit, and I am technically still employed. There are two reasons I can have the same owed on both. I bought the truck originally at the employee cost due to family working for toyota. I can buy another one at discount as well. I get money from the insurance agency for the "depreciation" of the '09. That money will go in on the new truck, making up the difference between the two. The only reason I can buy the truck at such a discount is because I have to agree to not sell it for year. Otherwise, I would be able to sell it for more than I paid for it. Luckily, when I get it back I will be within a week of having it for a year.

natetru
09-06-2009, 09:23 PM
good luck........

gtrotter
09-06-2009, 09:35 PM
definitely going to need it lol

gtrotter
09-22-2009, 04:34 PM
talked to the shop today...
they got the wrong axle in- evidently the supplier sent the axle for a tundra with the 5.7?

also, the insurance company wanted to straighten the wheel instead of paying for a new one. Basically, they wanted to give me a cosmetically f-ed up wheel, but it couldn't be straightened at all. So now I have to wait on a new axle AND wheel. They said the absolute earliest I could get my truck is Friday.

NwiTACO
09-22-2009, 07:19 PM
talked to the shop today...
they got the wrong axle in- evidently the supplier sent the axle for a tundra with the 5.7?

also, the insurance company wanted to straighten the wheel instead of paying for a new one. Basically, they wanted to give me a cosmetically f-ed up wheel, but it couldn't be straightened at all. So now I have to wait on a new axle AND wheel. They said the absolute earliest I could get my truck is Friday.

Thats quick. I thought they would have it longer than that. Hell, I don't even have my brakes done yet :rolleyes:

(but my gears will be here tomorrow! :woot:)

gtrotter
09-22-2009, 07:23 PM
yeah, I guess when you raise a little hell they start moving a little faster.

BTW, did you get my PM?

gtrotter
09-27-2009, 06:01 PM
Talked to the shop Friday...

the axle is on back order from the factory? I'm starting to wonder when I will get my truck back. The wheel is also on back order. I'm starting to get pissed off about this.

NwiTACO
09-28-2009, 06:30 AM
Take bets on whos truck hits the road sooner...yours or mine :D

gtrotter
09-28-2009, 03:03 PM
How is yours looking?

NwiTACO
09-28-2009, 06:13 PM
Sky is redesigning the disc brake brackets and hopefully will have them by next weekend. :(

Rear diff is done, front this weekend. Shock seals will be in this week.

gtrotter
09-28-2009, 06:16 PM
10 bucks says mine hits the road first!:D

natetru
09-28-2009, 06:35 PM
100 bucks says marks hits the OFFROAD first!!!! and harder!!!!

gtrotter
09-28-2009, 06:44 PM
I'll take the bet of who hits offroad first...talked to shop today and raised some issues with them. They "magically" found me an axle and wheel this morning and had them expedited super fast to the shop. I should have the truck back tomorrow.

natetru
09-28-2009, 07:11 PM
might be a little leary of that situation....

gtrotter
09-28-2009, 07:24 PM
meh, not like they could do anything bad with the axle...I mean, the factory axle wasn't usable at all in the end. The wheel was the same. If anything, I can take this to the district service manager of the shop. They are the shop that does the factory restoration work on all the toyotas, lexus's, and scions.

NwiTACO
09-29-2009, 06:26 AM
I woula sourced an elocker axle and had that put under my truck.

gtrotter
09-29-2009, 03:25 PM
I woula sourced an elocker axle and had that put under my truck.

different gearing...3.73 versus my 4.10's. Believe me, I already thought of that.

NwiTACO
09-29-2009, 05:43 PM
different gearing...3.73 versus my 4.10's. Believe me, I already thought of that.

Thats right...and they dont make 4.10 gears do they...:rolleyes:

:D

gtrotter
09-29-2009, 08:31 PM
Well considering all the other crap I am buying right now, plus the hassle of even getting the shop to fix the truck, I am going to leave the rear end alone for now.

NwiTACO
09-30-2009, 06:57 AM
Front diff tonight, hopefully...still no brakes though...

gtrotter
10-01-2009, 04:11 AM
got the truck back last night...then took it directly to the dealer for the devaluation claim. Head guy at the dealership did the claim for me, and it came out to alot of money the insurance company is going to give me...5000-6000 dollars!:eek:

NwiTACO
10-01-2009, 06:21 AM
Can we say SAC? :D

95toyotan
10-01-2009, 06:18 PM
the insurance company is going to give me...5000-6000 dollars!:eek:

That would be nice!!!

gtrotter
10-01-2009, 07:34 PM
Can we say SAC? :D

not quite yet...I keep telling myself once I hit 100k miles on the truck, I will. Basically in 4 years or less.