: Armor time

Asha'man
09-25-2009, 10:55 PM
Got bit with the truck mod bug again for some reason, and am looking at armor. Looking hard at the Addicted front bumper with stinger, although not sure if I would want the rounded one or the standard flat-top hoop. Sliders look reasonable from Scotty as well, but I may have to ask if they're available with a kickout. If not, the search will go on.

The rear bumper is where I'm torn. I like the corners that wrap up to protect the quarters, in the style of the Marlin or All-Pro, but am also interested in a swing-out tire carrier that could possibly also carry a hi-lift and maybe a shovel or gas can. What have you all seen out there that fits both bills? I don't think I've seen a tire-carrier bumper made out of tube; due to the weight, they usually seem to be made of plate or bar stock. I'm not opposed to this, but need to consider my options and $$$.

Don't know that I'm exactly up for :saw: :welder: my own at this point, either. :D Suggestions for anything are welcome.

Lysmachia
09-25-2009, 11:26 PM
Hmmm So I doubt 1st gen's ever had a tire carrier. (That was how we did troy's, was swap in a 2nd gen rear tail gate, and then tire carrier. I wonder if you got the already built 2nd gen carrier if you could mod it into your rear bumper/frame. Because that was how troy ended up mounting it.

http://im1.shutterfly.com/media/47b9d608b3127ccec7af067fa58900000040O08AbNWLJszZOA e3nw0/cC/f%3D0/ps%3D50/r%3D0/rx%3D550/ry%3D400/

http://im1.shutterfly.com/media/47b9d608b3127ccec7af5b29e56900000040O08AbNWLJszZOA e3nw0/cC/f%3D0/ps%3D50/r%3D0/rx%3D550/ry%3D400/

http://im1.shutterfly.com/media/47b9d628b3127ccec7870304747400000040O08AbNWLJszZOA e3nw0/cC/f%3D0/ps%3D50/r%3D0/rx%3D550/ry%3D400/

ff33
09-26-2009, 12:11 AM
You probably have to call them and have it custom made for your year but 4xinnovations.com sells a tube tire carrier that mounts to their rear bumper, not sure about the gas can mount but mounting a high lift and shovel to it would be easy. They sell sliders for a good price too.

Asha'man
09-26-2009, 01:32 PM
I've thought about the stock 2nd gen one, and looked at one at the junkyard a while back. From what I've read, there are all kinds of internal reinforcements necessary to mount the assembly. Honestly, I'd rather have a bumper mounted one and just be done with it, rather than fucking around with stock parts that may or may not fit and are already fifteen years old (bushings, hinges, etc).

Also considering a receiver-mounted carrier. I think CBI makes one and then I could use any bumper I wanted to. Hmm....

vwfastg60
09-26-2009, 03:38 PM
This is my plan but maybe tube lower area to match the rest.
http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j160/Revivalist/06-My%20Truck/01-Truck%20pics/06-40in%20Iroks%20on%2017in%20beadlocks/Driveway15.jpg

the tire needs to be centered tho.
http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j160/Revivalist/06-My%20Truck/01-Truck%20pics/06-40in%20Iroks%20on%2017in%20beadlocks/Forklift6b.jpg

Asha'man
09-26-2009, 04:23 PM
Who makes that?

vwfastg60
09-27-2009, 03:03 AM
Custom i believe.

CoTacoTRD
09-27-2009, 09:36 AM
We need to get your runner out on some trails so and see what you really need to armor!!:p

mrdoug
09-28-2009, 09:03 AM
Who makes that?

It's a BentUp bumper that's been cusomized.. It's the same bumper I had before I customized it to wrap around.

Unfortunately Bentup went out of biz last year.

AxleIke
09-28-2009, 09:30 AM
I'd recommend against a kick out on the sliders. I have never seen them do much in the way of extra protection, as I've never seen non kickout sliders not protect where a kick out would have.

I HAVE seen kickouts hang people up left and right, where non kickouts don't. IMO, they are a waste.

vwfastg60
09-28-2009, 12:31 PM
This is Scottys bumper with a bigger stinger then normal. I wanted the sides tucked in under the fenders but im going to have to fix that as the truck gets closer to being finished
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v147/vwfastg60/87%20toyota/IMAGE_133-1.jpg

RedRunnertc
09-28-2009, 04:26 PM
I wanted the sides tucked in under the fenders but im going to have to fix that as the truck gets closer to being finished

No, I don't think you do - your fenders will take all the damage then ... of course, that's assuming this thing ever actually gets 'wheeled ...

Lysmachia
09-28-2009, 07:25 PM
I duuno AxleIke... My Kickouts saved Tippy's ass a lot.. But that was just tippy... LMAO

vwfastg60
09-28-2009, 07:42 PM
It will see the trail but with fenders being so cheap i can risk it for being able to turn all the way. My fender and tire have a few inches of clearence at full stuff and turning but the bumper looks like it will rub. Details and fine tuning will come later tho.

Asha'man
09-28-2009, 09:30 PM
We need to get your runner out on some trails so and see what you really need to armor!!:p

Once it's armored I'll feel a bit more comfortable doing that. ;) Plus I want at least a solid front bumper for in-town driving this winter. People are morons.

I'd recommend against a kick out on the sliders. I have never seen them do much in the way of extra protection, as I've never seen non kickout sliders not protect where a kick out would have.

I HAVE seen kickouts hang people up left and right, where non kickouts don't. IMO, they are a waste.

Interesting. I've never seen arguments for or against, they just seem like they'd be a good idea. It would be nice if for nothing more than a step to access the roof better, but I can see how it might hang the truck up, too.

packrat1
09-29-2009, 12:44 AM

Im going to have to disagree with you on this one.

A: I don't think that the intent of the kickout is to protect more body, I think its to help clear your rear tire on an inside turn. I have extra width axles and frequently, purposefully, use the kickouts to clear or sometimes to just push enough to get my rear tire to slide by on the sidewall.

2: I have never had issue with hanging up on one yet , and just recently used it as a point onto which I slid UP a rock to get my rear tire upon it. This being the rock, and a glimps at how my kickout is made:

http://i449.photobucket.com/albums/qq212/Packrat01/MKcamping09-0.jpg

c: Though I don't doubt that you have seen people hung up on them as Ive seen straight sliders hang up great drivers (that's you Nate:D), so it stands to reason that I may fall victim some day too.

IV: Getting hung up on kickouts probably depends on how it is made, how far out it protrudes from your body or tires, whether or not you have lockers, how you drive, and/or how else your truck is set up.

You're welcome to your opinion of course, but, for all things I have redone, and for those on the list yet to improve, for my setup and driving style, those kickouts are staying!:2cents:

vwfastg60
09-29-2009, 03:20 AM
I can see both sides of this so dont take my post as talking shit. I feel like depending on the situation the kick out could be a positive but i see it being a negitive in situations like the waterfall at carnage.

See 2:48 in mollys vid for an example.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w0wcIyoOia0

I have run that line with out sliders and yes i caught my rocker a bit but locked in the rear only i was able to pull through. If i had a kicked out slider i think it would have hung me up because its so tight. It looks like in the vid it hung tippy up too. Weight could effect this too. The 4runner is heavy in the rear and the kick out could dig harder in to a rock then a pick up....honestly im not 100% sure. I went with TG sliders cause they are simple, Cheap and effective. You really cant build a set for less that do the same thing. The tooling and time would put you over the cheap price.

I do know this...Get some that stick out far enough to prtect more then the rocker. Sliding in to a tree will smash a door to a the rocker(enough to damage it badly) but if you have that hoop you may brake a $15-50 mirror vs the same damage and paint work to a door or 1/4 pannel.

My .02

Asha'man
09-29-2009, 08:24 PM
I guess it would depend on the situation. Obviously we have a few rocks here in CO, so I'm pretty likely to slide into one of them as opposed to a tree along a trail (like back east, for instance), and of course rocks often come up from underneath. I don't think a KO would do anything in that instance that a regular smooth slider wouldn't. It seems like sliding past huge rocks or trees that are vertical alongside the truck is where the KO's would come in handy, and I've not done enough wheeling in such situations to know how common that is.

Like Russell said, as long as the slider sticks out to a point where it protects the door as well as the rocker, it should do it's job. In that case, it would seem as if KO's are more aesthetic/feel-good than anything. :confused:

4Runner_Girl
09-29-2009, 08:34 PM
i have kickouts on mine and they didnt hang me up...they helped in an odd way but helped...maybe its just me!

packrat1
09-29-2009, 09:29 PM
It seems like sliding past huge rocks or trees that are vertical alongside the truck is where the KO's would come in handy, and I've not done enough wheeling in such situations to know how common that is.

How common the situation occurs depends a lot on your driving style...you can create the situations to use the sliders and kickout, or, you can just have them there "in case" or for esthetics. I have 'em on there, so I push on them and slide on rocks along the trailside any chance I get. Its a tool to play with, and it helps to better know how things will react when you don't have a choice in line.

Now, I'll have to TRY and hang myself up to see how easy it might be :D

ike
09-30-2009, 12:25 AM
i have never had an issue with protection with my non kickout sliders. there are a few places, such as one ledge in particular on cobra in farmington this year that i think a kick out would have hurt me. all in all it comes down to personal preferance. you will learn to drive and use either design.

Asha'man
10-03-2009, 08:57 PM
K, I will probably end up going with regular sliders, but that's been bumped a little forward in the schedule again. I picked up a 4.88 front chunk today at the boneyard, need to figure out what I want to do for a rear and then get some new tires. Armor after that lol. :D New thread in 5...4...3....

CoTacoTRD
10-04-2009, 10:01 AM
My Slee's don't have the kick out but have been great so far. Although I have been considering adding a kick out to them. But I would also add in a skidplate along the bottom side of the hoop so as to not allow a rock or tree stump to get inside the hoop and hang me up. You put holes in it for asthetics and weight reduction. Just not too big.

Just a thought!:D