TTORA Forum banner

Which Used LC Do I Need???

3K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  Klierslc 
#1 ·
Looking for a used Cruiser, Series 80 or newer. I like the V8, but could settle for the 4.5. How's MPG on these? What to look for? Problem areas?
Most have higher miles, any issues w/ high miles? Thanks for any pointers!

#2 ·
First of all what are you going to be using it for? If you're going to be using it for any type of offroading, I would opt for an FZJ80 (93 - 97). If you can find one with the selectable front and real lockers, even better. With any of the 80 series, the big areas to note are the rear main seal and the head gasket. If these are good, don't worry about the miles as these things will run forever with good care. Go visit ih8mud.com and you'll find more than enough information on what you are looking for.

#3 ·
Pretty much what Beaz said. In order to give worthwile advice, we need to know your entended usage and budget. Either vehicle will treat you well though.

#4 ·
Cant go wrong with an 80 man. Bulletproof. Of course Im biased... If you want more of a highway cruising light wheeling rig the 100 series might suit you better.

Check out ih8mud.com and youll find all the info youll ever need. Theres also a couple sweet double locked 80's and lexus lx 450's for sale in the classified section.

As far as owning an 80, its has been a reliable vehicle for me so far. A month after I got mine I took it on a 5600km road trip with no problems. It has started consistantly in -20 temperatures and is pretty wicked to drive in the snow w the awd. The po kept up with regular service and set me up pretty good.

Areas to look at when buying are the front axle (birf service), power window performance (they tend to get slow and sometimes fail), and head gasket issues. The hg thing is talked about a lot but a lot of guys are getting 300k w no hg problems...

If you can get over the fuel consumption and dont mind ocasionaly wrenching on your junk I would recommend an 80 series LC without a second thought.

D

#5 ·
Good info guys. I'll be using mostly for hunting trips a couple hundred miles away but only a handfull of times per year. I have a cabin just north of me in the mountians, 4x4 is a must, but any 4x4 will do. I'll be taking the occasional trip to Kansas City. My main reason is for the 4x4 ability and room. I have a young lab that will be traveling w/ me hunting and would be a nice upgrade to an SUV that I can lock. Is MPG that much better on the 4.7? What year did they start offering the 4.7? How about filters and exhaust mods on either, do they help w/ MPG??

#7 ·
If you want a V8 you'll either have to get a 100-series, or a 40-series that's had the Chevy 350 Swap.

The 1998 100-series was the 1st Land Cruiser to offer the 4.7L V8 2UZ-FE engine.

#8 ·
100 series are very capable rigs. You can mod them up as much as an 80. Slee offroad is doing a lot with 100 series and you can find some decent prices on 98 and 99 models. 10 to 11k for one. I have owned 5 100 series and never had a problem. They dont come with front lockers but you can add one.

#9 ·
If the lab will be riding in the cargo compartment, then I would suggest the 80 due to the sliding rear windows. The 100 windows only crack.

Also, unless you have the money to burn, I'd feel a lot better about using an 80 as a hunting rig. Putting dead animals in the back of a 5-6k rig, sure, but a 10-12k rig, not so much.

Either rig will treat you well, but the 100 has better road manners. I would suggest driving both and deciding how much you want to spend.

There is no cost effective way to increase MPG on either rig.

If that is a concern, I'd opt for a 96-02 4runner with the 3.4L They have good road manners, are durable, reliable and get 20-24 mpg on the freeway.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.