: Wrenchin' Software

Fuod
01-07-2010, 08:07 PM
I've been working on a software package to be used by us to track things like mods, repairs, etc.

I'd like to know what you would like to see added so I can customize it. I know that's a bit vague, but the program is still in it's infancy so pretty much anything can be added.

So far It tracks the vehicle (Year, Make, Model, etc), I'm wanting to know what else it should track. I have several ideas but I would like to hear from you first.

Thanks guys!

Bear
01-08-2010, 09:39 AM
maintenance records would be nice, maybe vender's for parts (?) not sure. I am just thinking of the spread sheet I used for my solid axle project.

maybe parts pricing, I don't know without having more detail on your program, but I also realize you wanting to keep it vague so as not to have it pirated as well. maybe call me sometime and give me more detail and I can help you with more ideas.

I like the concept

Bear
01-08-2010, 09:43 AM
maybe like what the ASA uses regarding estimating/quoting labor cost.

ie. replacing an alternator "calls" for 2.5 hours of labor. so the shop will quote the job to their client at $80 per hour plus parts, making the final bill $$$$$$$$$$$$

Fuod
01-09-2010, 08:43 AM
Hmmm... Interesting...

This is a long way out, but I'd rather get input at this point then later on when it would be a pain in the ass to modify.

The reason my post was so vague is because right now the package doesn't really do anything. It's keeping vehicle information and notes, nothing else as of yet. :)

Thanks Bear!

jason6746
01-09-2010, 12:27 PM
what if we dont want to remember how much we spend on our trucks:confused:

jason6746
01-09-2010, 12:29 PM
but this is a good idea, it would be helpful to track everything

Bear
01-10-2010, 11:07 AM
NO problem Joe,

Like I said, anyone that has done a solid axle swap that has been organized and turned out decently has used a spread sheet to remain organized. I am not saying that due to the spreadsheet the project(s) turned out good due to it, but they do help keep the buying process organized and the thought process flowing.

If you are a wheeler, like say Ron you may want to devise part of the process that tracks what tires you have used and how well each different type of tire and size has performed.

If you are like me, you may want a section that tracks what parts have failed and what it took to rememdy the situation. LOL

Fuod
01-11-2010, 08:54 PM
I'm hoping to start work on this package again sometime soon. I'm currently working on a "Notes" system that I plan on being pretty extensive since most of the entries used will be in that form.

The Vehicle system currently holds the following information:
Year, Make, Model, Color, VIN, License Plate, Cylinders, Engine Volume, Fuel Type, Transmission, Drive Train, Tire Size, Purchase Info, Sold Info, Picture. I also have a "Custom" area where any type of info can be stored, but it would not have the potential to be in any reports. Let me know if you think it's important to hold anything additional.

Here's some captures from the "New Vehicle" form...

http://www.fuod.org/images/inttora/wrenchin/newvehicle.jpg

Don't be surprised if you see your vehicle in there somewhere (uhm, Nate, Bear, Mark, and not sure of the top one). I'm trying to use random pictures in the project, if you don't want any of your pics included let me know! Oh, and uhm... Don't expect any proceeds from using a pic of your truck... Aint gonna happen! :flipoff4:

A big question I have is should this be a multi-vehicle type interface (all vehicles load at startup), or a single vehicle interface (only open one vehicle as needed)?

Also, right now it's code named "Wrenchin'", any suggestions on a better name? I plan on it being based on modifications and not so much repairs and maintenance so "Wrenchin'" seems to work pretty well...

brinner
01-12-2010, 07:26 PM
what if we dont want to remember how much we spend on our trucks:confused:

......or dont wanna know :D

Fuod
01-13-2010, 07:48 PM
A big question I have is should this be a multi-vehicle type interface (all vehicles load at startup), or a single vehicle interface (only open one vehicle as needed)?

Hey guys, I'm at the point where I really can't do much until I get an answer to this.

Personally I would like the multi-vehicle interface (although I only have one vehicle) but the single interface would be faster (negligible) and maybe a little less confusing. Also the single interface would be a lot easier for me to create, but that isn't the issue...

brinner
01-14-2010, 06:55 PM
then lets to the multi-thingy one

jason6746
01-15-2010, 06:14 AM
if we do the single interface, we can just make another right?

Fuod
01-15-2010, 10:04 AM
if we do the single interface, we can just make another right?
At this point I don't see any reason why you couldn't.

NwiTACO
01-16-2010, 07:33 PM
Like the idea, but as stated by some, I dont want to know what this thing has cost me so far...

Fuod
01-17-2010, 12:07 AM
I'm not really planning on this being a cost tracker/budgetting package. It's more of a project documenter, note keeper, images, part numbers, etc...

I also could care less what I spent on something once the purchase is made, but I do like keeping documentation on how I did it. Although it is nice to have an approximate $$ value in case someone asks how much it costs to do that lift/SAS/exo.

Btw, this is the kind of input I was looking for. It seems total costs is not an issue so I will put much less effort into that and more into other areas.

Bear
01-17-2010, 08:29 PM
I don't see a "modifaction" tab. then off that tab, you could then add sub tabs for the different areas/system on the vehicle such as suspension, engine, interior etc.

that would also open the "can of worms" of how to catagorize which mods and how to list them all.

Driver12518
01-18-2010, 11:25 AM
Maybe a crawl ratio calculator. Like something that takes your tranny gear, transfer case gear, optional second case gear, and third member gears multiplies them all together and spits out your crawl ratio. That way you can easily see what the next best move would be to lower that. Or maybe something that could take engine rpms, gearing and tire size and spit out MPH speed for people wanting to keep their daily highway driver abilities. On my little excel sheet i have i have numbers similar to those two being calculated as well as axle ground clearance, crossmember clearance, roof height.

Bear
01-18-2010, 02:50 PM
maybe a crawl ratio calculator. Like something that takes your tranny gear, transfer case gear, optional second case gear, and third member gears multiplies them all together and spits out your crawl ratio. That way you can easily see what the next best move would be to lower that. .
x2

natetru
01-18-2010, 03:59 PM
fuod, didnt you have that mph calculator somewhere? it is cool and actually real close cuz my speedo read 70 and the cops radar read 81 if i rmember right!

Fuod
01-19-2010, 01:31 PM
Maybe a crawl ratio calculator. Like something that takes your tranny gear, transfer case gear, optional second case gear, and third member gears multiplies them all together and spits out your crawl ratio. That way you can easily see what the next best move would be to lower that. Or maybe something that could take engine rpms, gearing and tire size and spit out MPH speed for people wanting to keep their daily highway driver abilities. On my little excel sheet i have i have numbers similar to those two being calculated as well as axle ground clearance, crossmember clearance, roof height.

I created this about a year ago, hope it helps:
http://inttora.fuod.org/calculators/gratios.aspx

fuod, didnt you have that mph calculator somewhere? it is cool and actually real close cuz my speedo read 70 and the cops radar read 81 if i rmember right!

I could throw something together, but it's easy to do.

(New Tire Diameter / Old Tire Diameter) * Speedometer MPH = Actual MPH

I am planning to include several different calculators like these in the Wrenchin project at some point.

Bear
02-10-2010, 04:57 PM
any more developements with this project?

Fuod
02-10-2010, 06:38 PM
any more developements with this project?
Well, I have some custom controls I need to develop for it when I have the time.

I figure in about 7 years it should hit beta... :p