: Cooler Tranny temps (Even for Hayden coolers!)

NorcalPR
08-15-2005, 08:48 PM
Hey guys. Well my brother has a Duramax, and for some reason, GM came up with stupid engineering on the Tranny coolers. The Radiator is behind the intercooler, than the AC condenser, (each are aobout 1/2" apart) and then the Tranny cooler is aobut 2-3" from the rest!

So on the freeway, his tranny temps are cool. Around the street, even jsut putting around, the temps go up a little over 200, with no wieght!

So I thought his idea would help you guys out. What he did is took a sheet of aluminum and made a box that goes around the tranny cooler, and stays about 1/8" away form the a/c condenser. I'll explain the reasoning in a sec. He then used aluminum tape to seal it off and taped a 1/4" lip to the front of the tranny cooler all the way around.

Air wants to have the least resistance. Now, lets say on idle, the fan is pulling in air, right? Well, if you were air, (and you want to have the least resistance) would you rather go around the tranny cooler, or through it? Of course you'd want to go around it, it has the least resistance!

So putting the box around the tranny cooler forces the fan to suck the air through the tranny cooler. He went from tranny temps of about 202 down to about 170 degrees. I couldn't believe it neither, but it really does work.

Just though I'd pass it along to you guys. The thought behind it makes a lot of sense, and it does work! Maybe with the Hayden cooler and the box around it, we could see even cooler temperatures around the city. Around the highway this does not help at all, because the air is directly hitting the tranny cooler. This will only help in city driving and idle. (the Fan sucks the air through the radiator, and through the tranny cooler, not around it)

It didn't hurt his coolant temps neither. The box doesn't get any wider than the tranny cooler.

:welder:
-Phill

J-Man
08-15-2005, 10:40 PM
Hey guys. Well my brother has a Duramax, and for some reason, GM came up with stupid engineering on the Tranny coolers. The Radiator is behind the intercooler, than the AC condenser, (each are aobout 1/2" apart) and then the Tranny cooler is aobut 2-3" from the rest!

So on the freeway, his tranny temps are cool. Around the street, even jsut putting around, the temps go up a little over 200, with no wieght!

So I thought his idea would help you guys out. What he did is took a sheet of aluminum and made a box that goes around the tranny cooler, and stays about 1/8" away form the a/c condenser. I'll explain the reasoning in a sec. He then used aluminum tape to seal it off and taped a 1/4" lip to the front of the tranny cooler all the way around.

Air wants to have the least resistance. Now, lets say on idle, the fan is pulling in air, right? Well, if you were air, (and you want to have the least resistance) would you rather go around the tranny cooler, or through it? Of course you'd want to go around it, it has the least resistance!

So putting the box around the tranny cooler forces the fan to suck the air through the tranny cooler. He went from tranny temps of about 202 down to about 170 degrees. I couldn't believe it neither, but it really does work.

Just though I'd pass it along to you guys. The thought behind it makes a lot of sense, and it does work! Maybe with the Hayden cooler and the box around it, we could see even cooler temperatures around the city. Around the highway this does not help at all, because the air is directly hitting the tranny cooler. This will only help in city driving and idle. (the Fan sucks the air through the radiator, and through the tranny cooler, not around it)

It didn't hurt his coolant temps neither. The box doesn't get any wider than the tranny cooler.

:welder:
-Phill
sounds like a dam good idea. I was thinking of something like that myself cause the dam tranny gets hot, like 210-230 when loaded down, hell even not loaded down but up continous inclines. Do you have any snap shots of what it looks like? Id like to see so i can fab up something like that myself. Thanks for the heads up!

NorcalPR
08-15-2005, 11:04 PM
I'll do a sketch on paint.Mayke I'll take a picture of my cooler and modify it so you guys can see what I mean.

I'm actually going to build mine saturday. So I'll definately have pictures of it up by then (but I will not have results of it actually working, I have no tranny temp guage. But if it works on a d-max, it will def work with our tacos.)

NorcalPR
08-18-2005, 12:05 AM
Here's some (very crappy) shots of what to do. What's in red is aluminum tape. Yellow is metal you add. I'd not saying ot add it in that spot, but will give you a idea of what to do for any vehicle.

The second picture is what you would do if you had a Hayden tranny cooler. Gives you another idea of what to do. Just pretend the wood is the a/c condenser. In the Dmax, you're basically using the metal to create a bridge between the cooler and the ac condenser, then using tape to seal it off.

http://photobucket.com/albums/y225/NorCalPR/Trannycoolermod/