: trail rig insurance

99TanTaco
01-31-2010, 08:01 AM
just curious as to what you guys do

I went with full coverage on mine as it was not that much more than just liability but my issue is say that my truck were to be stolen or totaled the amount they would give me would be significantly less than what I have into my truck or could replace it for

I asked about a stated value policy and he seemed confused but then called me back with a example of my truck being valued at $5000 (personally I'd have it closer to 4) it would run me $420 per 6 month in addition to regular insurance:eek: obviously I'm not gonna go that route but curious to see what others do

simple4runner
01-31-2010, 01:29 PM
Liability only.

NEV2DEP
01-31-2010, 01:45 PM
I had full coverage on the Taco + a $7K rider to cover some of the after market parts. We I was planning to plate and drive the new Toy I put liability on it. A few weeks ago I called my agent to inform him that plans changed and now it wasn't going to see street use. I wanted to put fire & theft only on it. They wouldn't do it so right now I got nothing.

head
01-31-2010, 05:17 PM
I had liability on mine. I just went to cancel it for the winter and they told me they have a policy for people that don't drive their cars in the winter. It is basically only fire and theft. I went that route since it only adds $5 a month to my current policy. Come summer, I may go back to liability, not sure though.

You may want to look into the collector car insurances. Or switching insurance companies. I have liberty mutual and only pay $54.34 a month for full coverage on my duramax, liability on my wifes sunfire, and fire/theft on the trail rig.

captain insano
01-31-2010, 07:20 PM
I have full coverage on my DD and when I added the zuk for liability it lowered my rates due to multicar discount.

lifted98
02-01-2010, 02:07 PM
Do you have a certain kind of insurance to cover anything that would happen on the trail? I have full coverage insurance on the 4Runner but have often wondered if I could add something to cover it when offroad too. Also, once I get a DD, I wanna change the insurance on the 4Runner. A guy at work has a Expedition with highrail gear on it and it only gets driven about 4,000 miles a year and most of it is on the railroad so he gets discounted insurance.

99TanTaco
02-01-2010, 07:07 PM
haven't ever done anything to cover trail damage, I learn to live with the dents
I'm gonna guess that type of coverage (if even available) would be pretty pricey

at this point my only insurance concern would be if my rig got stolen the check from the insurance co would not even be large enough to cover the cost of 4 tires let alone replacing the whole truck:( but given the odds of my truck getting stolen vs the cost of a stated value policy I'll take the risk