TTORA Forum banner

94 LC Q's

4K views 16 replies 12 participants last post by  Supramann93 
#1 ·
Do 94 LC's have front and rear locking diffs? The person said its AWD? can someone educate me on what this things comes standard with.

#2 ·
#6 ·
Most are full time 4WD. SLee sells a kit to disconnect but from what I hear its 1. Dangerous(disables ABS) 2. doesn't change the MPG hardly at all.

#10 ·
(disregard this if your a dumbass that doesnt know how to drive) disabling abs is not dangerous. its dangerous when u have it and are trying to stop on gravel and it keeps letting off the brakes so it takes 2 times farther to stop. i hate abs with a passion after it almost sent me off a cliff

#7 · (Edited)
Basically in that body style, '91-'92 will only have a CDL (center diff lock) unless retrofitted with diff locks. It's NOT that common for people to retrofit those with diff locks. As far as I know not all the '91-'92 models came with the CDL. I believe it was an option. '93-'97 models can have the sought after diff locks AND the CDL, but both of those items were options. It has been my experience while shopping for one that most don't have diff locks, and even fewer have both diff locks and the CDL. I happened to get lucky and snag a '93 with both. :) Other than that there are few "options" per se. Some of the only options I have personally seen are manual windows/door locks/side mirrors (pretty rare), roof rack (try to get one without-possible rust issues), and rear spoiler. Not to mention the obvious interior/exterior color combos. Also, most of the '91-'92 models that had manual windows/locks/etc came without fender flares. Lots of people who own these and offroad them usually take those off anyway.

FJ80='91-'92, can have CDL, NO FACTORY DIFF LOCKS
FZJ80='93-'97, can have CDL AND FACTORY DIFF LOCKS

Most are full time 4WD. SLee sells a kit to disconnect but from what I hear its 1. Dangerous(disables ABS) 2. doesn't change the MPG hardly at all.
Just what he said...most in the US are full time 4wd. Everywhere else but here (US) had way better options like turbo diesels, manual transmissions and part time transfer cases. But from what I have read, a lot of people complain that the conversion from full time 4wd to part time 4wd costs more than it is worth for the "very slight" increase in fuel economy. IH8MUD.com has a lot more info on these vehicles. Check it out.

#8 ·
Basically in that body style, '91-'92 will only have a CDL (center diff lock) unless retrofitted with diff locks. It's NOT that common for people to retrofit those with diff locks. As far as I know not all the '91-'92 models came with the CDL. I believe it was an option. '93-'97 models can have the sought after diff locks AND the CDL, but both of those items were options. It has been my experience while shopping for one that most don't have diff locks, and even fewer have both diff locks and the CDL. I happened to get lucky and snag a '93 with both. :) Other than that there are few "options" per se. Some of the only options I have personally seen are manual windows/door locks/side mirrors (pretty rare), roof rack (try to get one without-possible rust issues), and rear spoiler. Not to mention the obvious interior/exterior color combos. Also, most of the '91-'92 models that had manual windows/locks/etc came without fender flares. Lots of people who own these and offroad them usually take those off anyway.

FJ80='91-'92, can have CDL, NO FACTORY DIFF LOCKS
FZJ80='93-'97, can have CDL AND FACTORY DIFF LOCKS

Just what he said...most in the US are full time 4wd. Everywhere else but here (US) had way better options like turbo diesels, manual transmissions and part time transfer cases. But from what I have read, a lot of people complain that the conversion from full time 4wd to part time 4wd costs more than it is worth for the "very slight" increase in fuel economy. IH8MUD.com has a lot more info on these vehicles. Check it out.

All US 80 Series trucks are AWD.

91-92 FJ80 all came with the CDL button on the dash and NONE came with factory locking differentials.

93-97 FZJ80 - approximately 2% had lockers from the factory. No FZJ80s came with a CDL switch, although you can purchase one from Slee Off Road or other LC vendors. You can also use an 80 series hazard switch in its place. Most folks do what is called the Pin7 modification to allow you to control the CDL (on/off) while in low range in the t-case.

#9 ·
i think ABS was standard on 94' and up
94' was the 1st year for R134-a in the A/C system
most all cloth interior models were port upgraded to leather (no power seats unless it came with factory leather)

basically factory leather/power seats and front/rear lockers were the only options.

#15 ·
Thanks for ultra vague input. I have seen ABS in action and not. ABS usually wins, unless you double pump the ABS. The system is designed to keep control of the car, as the brakes won't lock up. You can still steer rather than skid. I have heard that it can take longer to stop on certain surfaces but real life scenario 9.9 times out of 10 it will significantly help you keep control of your vehicle. There is always that guy with the story though that says its a bad system.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.