TTORA Forum banner

9.5" LC rear axle in 06 Taco??

4K views 18 replies 5 participants last post by  06silverback 
#1 ·
im considering trying this after my SAS is done in April.

The LC rear axle has a passenger offset by close to 4" or so, so the gas tank wont be in the way. the stock rear axle of an 05+ taco has a short shaft with a carrier bearing followed by a longer shaft. the angle of the shaft shouldnt cause any problems as far as vibrations go, but im planning on moving the carrier bearing over to the passenger side slightly to distribute the angle between the two sections of the driveshaft instead of letting the rear section handle all the angle.

i plan on moving the front axle forward about 3" so i will also move the rear forward a tad. this will give me a little better approach angle without hindering departure angle. it may look a tad wierd with a driver drop hi pinion 44 up front, but i think it'll work. i found this axle from a rig that runs/drives in a junkyard for $350 and i believe its the e-locked version. since i have the e-locker in the rear of my stock one it'll be a fairly easy conversion.

#2 ·
Not so easy, the elocker is different and you would need the harness for it or build your own. It also is set up for links so you have to cut all that garbage off and weld on spring perches (not really hard but still something extra to do). It might be wider than your axle. The earlier years of that lc had SF rear axles, if it has drums, most likely its SF not FF. The axle has a 9.5 inch R&P, but the same gearing options as the 8". The off set will be ok, there are a few guys with 60 series lc's that run them and the 80 series axle has less offset than the 60. Just moving your carrier bearing should be fine. I would suggest not moving your rear axle forward.
Hope that helps
Jesse

#3 ·
it has disk brakes, and ill be taking the wiring harness with the axle or just the ends to splice to mine if it's possible. i may go links on it, i havent decided yet. it all depends on if i decide i wanna move my gas tank to make room for a 4 link. it'd be better for just about everything, but i just dont know if i wanna put up with fabbing it all up. i really dont think it'll be all that bad to put under there.

it has alot of stuff i want in it. Full floater, almost as big as a D60, but not as heavy, a parking break set-up. im going to re-gear it to 4.88 anyways, so i dont really care what its got in it stock. im gonna run 37's or 38's on the trail and 35's on the street when im not wheeling.

#4 ·
They are stout axles, especially under a much lighter truck than the 80 series. You could probably save some fab time by taking the links off of the 80, they flex good in stock form. I know what you mean by all that work with a link setup. I am going thru that right now with my 4runner and haven't even gotten to the link part yet, still working on the engine, drive train and f150 gas tank.

#5 ·
ill prob do a 3-link rear and forget moving the gas tank if i decide to to links at all. youre probably right on messing with moving the rear axle forward. by the time i run 37-38's ill gain the clearance back and wont have to deal with the headache.

#6 ·
I am in the process of putting this axle under my 1990 truck. The wms is 63.5 inches so it is pretty wide. Not sure what width you are running on your front axle.

Couple things to consider. I was running a carrier bearing and am now able to run a single because i am pushing the rear forward 8 inches and going to a flat bed. I was at a 121 inch wheel base and am now going to be 113 inch. I am in the process and had to remove and will relocate my gas tank. I was too close for comfort.

Last couple things. I have read a bunch about this axle on pirate4x4 and the only negative things i have come across are, 1st the elocker is not desired because under heavy load (wheeling) and in reverse the carrier forces the housing to spread and will destroy your set up (could not find details). 2nd, I read about a few people crushing the axle housing with the leaf spring mounts. That axle is set up for links so strenghten with tube or something. I think you said you were going to link anyway.

good luck.

#7 ·
the carrier coming apart is due to running 37's + with the skinny pedal and suddenly getting traction....somethings gotta give. the elocker has been known to be problematic because if the axle twists and doesnt break it gets locked in place.

the guy THINKS this axle is a non-elocker. if so ill be putting in an ARB which will solve that issue, and if not ill get chromoly's. also consider how heavy the LC is with armor....much heavier than your truck and a tad heavier than mine. alot of guys dont take "wheeling style" into account either when saying "so and so breaks this or that all the time."

i thought about moving mine forward, but ill run it like it is 1st and then decide. i also thought about a 1 pc shaft if i do move it forward. alot to think about at once, so i think im gonna throw it under there with a 3 link and run it to see where i stand.

#8 ·
I don't think the offset will work well being that it is opposite the front....when the comp guys offset the rear they do it to match the front to make it easier to move the diffs around obstacles.....it set up the way you are talking the front is gonna have to go one way and the rear the other making it a bitch and I would think it would increase your likely hood of hanging on the diff.

just my :2cents:

#10 ·
Full Tilt Fud: i thought about that problem. but on the other side, if i clear an obstacle with the front diff i have nothing to worry about the rest of the way back. it will also leave a small area right down the center of the truck you wont drag anything on. i figure 1/2 the time the rear tire will be climing before the diff will drag anyways, just like on a centered diff. both have their pros and cons i suspect. but like dwishart505 said, its less than a 4 inch difference.

#11 ·
went and looked at the axle. it's a 95 LC without an e-locker, so the e-locker/axle problem is gone. im going to put an ARB in there with 4.88's. anyone heard of someone breaking the rear axle on one of these where the e-locker doesn't engage???

#13 ·
that offset diff is very minimal. what size tires you planning on running??

i think im leaning towards doing a 3-link rear and bracing the long side of the axle and adding a bracket for my top link. the shafts are 30 splines right??

#17 ·
im gonna run 37's on the 1st set and see how my front holds up before even thinking of going bigger....cant wait to snatch this axle out from under the LC and run it!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.