: long distance moving

DN1911
02-25-2010, 01:31 PM
has anyone here had experience with moving cross country? we are looking to move to CO in a couple of months and not real sure where to begin the search for a moving company or rental truck.... any insight or suggestions would be great!!!

Full_Tilt_Fud
02-25-2010, 03:21 PM
has anyone here had experience with moving cross country? we are looking to move to CO in a couple of months and not real sure where to begin the search for a moving company or rental truck.... any insight or suggestions would be great!!!

U haul is pretty good for a truck rental company.

Bear
03-01-2010, 01:19 PM
Well I moved up here from Texas almost six years ago, does that count?

I would first say it all depends on your situation, meaning is the reason you are moving work related or not. If it is work related, is the company willing to help with relocation cost?

My company footed the entire bill for my move, including 4 months in an apartment while our house was being built. But I did see the cost of the move as they taxed me on it. The move cost over $20,000 in moving and storage cost.

So if you are footing the bill yourself. I would seriously look into moving yourself using either Uhaul or Ryder. I don't know if you have as much "junk" to move as we did because as you know I also have three kids which equals more junk.

Bear
03-02-2010, 08:07 AM
Free bump for you Dustin!

So give me a call when you get a chance. Would like to talk to you definitely before you leave, and possibly help out with suggestions or whatever/where ever I can.

99sr54wd
03-04-2010, 12:20 AM
depends on so many things: what are you taking, the full house or personal stuff only. how many bedrooms, do you know anybody locally at the new place. what kind of vehicle you have(need to move).

I moved here from LA not long ago, the freight for my stuff was $0.75/lb for 2000lbs.

IMHO, furniture doesn't worth the hassle, except the beds. if you have a truck, buying an used enclosed trailer and sell it after you moved can cost you nothing.

anyhoo, you need to get us more info.

DN1911
03-13-2010, 05:36 PM
we are going to be moving may 8th to CO. somewhere around the Denver, Boulder, Ft Collins area. we are going out there 1) cause we want to and 2) cause the wife got a job out there. i don't think they have relocation assistance. right now we are looking to do the penske truck thing, everything else is to damn exspensive

99sr54wd
03-14-2010, 12:40 AM
get one with liftgate.

Bear
03-18-2010, 12:43 PM
get one with liftgate.
x2

NwiTACO
03-18-2010, 01:10 PM
good luck with the move...and get a truck with a liftgate for sure...and a handtruck will help as well...

brinner
03-18-2010, 10:16 PM
ABF its a u-pack they drive kinda thing, my bro had pretty good results...i just didnt have enough stuff to warrant it.

Bear
04-13-2010, 10:13 AM
how are the plans coming along Dustin?

DN1911
04-21-2010, 11:48 AM
they may be changing a little.... at this point in time, it looks like the wife will be going out May 15th with her 4Runner full of gear and start her job on the 17th. i will be moving all our crap back to the folks place in greenwood for a while. after a couple of months of not paying rent anywhere i will pack everything up and head out west to join her in CO

Bear
04-21-2010, 12:28 PM
they may be changing a little.... at this point in time, it looks like the wife will be going out May 15th with her 4Runner full of gear and start her job on the 17th. i will be moving all our crap back to the folks place in greenwood for a while. after a couple of months of not paying rent anywhere i will pack everything up and head out west to join her in CO
Although we moved here for my job. Pam and I had to do similar. She got hired by my company for a customer service position while I wasn't scheduled to move out for another three months.

Not fun, but you do what you have to do.

Bear
04-28-2010, 11:12 PM
Hows your progress coming along? you got enough boxes? do you need anything we might be able to help with?

DriftinCO
05-20-2010, 11:59 AM
Pop over to the CO forum when you get a chance. We have members in the areas you mentioned. Best wishes for an uneventful, safe, and fast move!

DN1911
06-02-2010, 11:20 PM
thanks for the support guys!

i went out last weekend for a visit and we have now signed a lease on a place in Grand Junction. i am moving this weekend, truck is almost loaded up and ready.

you all would love GJ, found a place in town called Safari Ltd that only does Toyota 4x4 repair and maintenance. Bill Burke's truck was there and he is a long time friend with the owner! right down the road is shop called Moab 4x4 outfitters that is fabrication shop and will do about anything. they have another shop in Moab, which is only about an 1.5 hours away :D looks like I'm going to have to find another Toy and soon! already told the wife to watch out, she's going to come home one day and I'll have cut her 4Runner up

NwiTACO
06-03-2010, 07:42 AM
Well I hope all goes well dustin. Too bad I never got to wheel with your truck out on the trail. What ever happened to it, does it have a final home?

I too am moving "long distance" July 4th weekend, but not near as far, staying in the same state but completely opposite ends.

Be sure to stay in touch with us all over here on the indiana boards, as you will always have a place here :D Once again good luck :kewl:

Bear
06-03-2010, 10:41 AM
Grand Junction is awesome. It has always been one of my favorite spots to visit. Cub #2 and I have been working on Momma Bear to move out to Colorado since the california trip I took him on with me last summer.

We have her worn down so maybe you will have some familar neighbors, who knows!

Good luck buddy, say hello to Moab for us all! I know you will have a rig soon as it is unavoidable, being so close to such a "play ground"