: So what is Off roading?

Bear
03-01-2010, 01:23 PM
Discuss!

(I am pretty sure I know the answer since I have been around it for as long as I have, but will refrain from any commentary until more responses file in)

Full_Tilt_Fud
03-01-2010, 01:36 PM
the opposite of onroading:2cents:

Gregoma
03-01-2010, 02:19 PM
The false feeling that you got away and actually did something.

ron86toy
03-01-2010, 02:32 PM
Discuss!

(I am pretty sure I know the answer since I have been around it for as long as I have, but will refrain from any commentary until more responses file in)

the opposite of onroading:2cents:

dont think he means it that way......
I have an article by Fred Williams that I have posted in my garage that pretty much sums it up for me(by the way I typed this out...no copy and paste so give me some credit:flipoff4: )

Why We Play With 4X4's by Fred Williams

Silly folks think that 4x4's are intended to go from point A to point B...but for us they are to get away from point A and have fun trying to find point B.Before we dragged our first 4x4 home we had 100 ideas of what it would become,and 1000 of where it would take us.Then when it arrives we started changing anything and everything on it.Our busted knuckles are worn as badges of honor,our well used wrenches are cherished like our favorite jeans.And once it ran,we loaded it up to go find some dirt.
We love the wild because we love dirt.The rock that will eventually become dirt has obstacles that we will break parts on till we can get past.The sand that was rock rides in every crack of our rigs and brings the weekend at the dunes back home with us.The mud becomes dry and hard as we drive around town showing folks at every stoplight that we do in fact use our trucks for more than work.We will lie down in the dirt and fix a busted u-joint.We will sit in the dirt around a campfire,laughing with friends.We will walk miles in the dirt to go get a buddy with a chain to pull us out of that deep bog.We will even roll out a bag and sleep in the dirt just to watch the stars overhead.Every dollar and day we spend on our 4x4's is repaid sevenfold when we make it to the dirt

Full_Tilt_Fud
03-01-2010, 03:42 PM
I know.......i was just giving him crap.

For me it's a hobby and a necessity all at once.

A hobby cause I spend every waking minute dreaming about getting out to the dirt and rocks and pushing that envelope that resides between can make it and can't.

A necessity due to my life style......when you grow up on a farm hunting and fishing and what not you do and learn things others don't.....I mean "off roading" in a litteral sense is a daily thing for people around here. Just yesterday I was helping a friend cut fire wood which involved driving through deep snow, dodgeing trees, trying to drive across steep slippery slope with out sliding down and into a swamp......all things that are considered off roading to many while we see it as just another day.

I understand where bear was going (I think) and I am interested to see others thoughts

gtrotter
03-01-2010, 04:46 PM
Offroading to me...

is part of the everyday life just like full tilt fud. For instance, to even get to some of my friends places I need a 4wd. Wanna go get firewood? Pop it in 4wd and go. I work dumping by coal mines and need to get in some nasty places. Again, that is where the need for 4wd comes in. Now, the truck isn't always challenged, so that is why I offroad. I want to see what the truck will do. When I see what it can do, I know how far I can go in everyday life/work.

ike
03-01-2010, 04:49 PM
A damn good time, but an expensive one also.

95toyotan
03-01-2010, 07:00 PM
For me it's another hobby that I have neither time or money for :(

But a great day of fun with good people when I do!:)

brinner
03-01-2010, 07:49 PM
at this point for me its making it from point A to the trailhead so i can go on hikes with my doggie. Sometimes its easy....sometimes its a romp on some snow, slush and mud covered road with ruts where im glad i have two lockers.

Bear
03-01-2010, 08:04 PM
I know.......i was just giving him crap.

For me it's a hobby and a necessity all at once.

A hobby cause I spend every waking minute dreaming about getting out to the dirt and rocks and pushing that envelope that resides between can make it and can't.

A necessity due to my life style......when you grow up on a farm hunting and fishing and what not you do and learn things others don't.....I mean "off roading" in a litteral sense is a daily thing for people around here. Just yesterday I was helping a friend cut fire wood which involved driving through deep snow, dodgeing trees, trying to drive across steep slippery slope with out sliding down and into a swamp......all things that are considered off roading to many while we see it as just another day.

I understand where bear was going (I think) and I am interested to see others thoughts
Good recovery ;) I was about to whip out the :flamethrountil your second post!

Fuod
03-01-2010, 09:00 PM
Why We Play With 4X4's by Fred Williams

Silly folks think that 4x4's are intended to go from point A to point B...but for us they are to get away from point A and have fun trying to find point B.Before we dragged our first 4x4 home we had 100 ideas of what it would become,and 1000 of where it would take us.Then when it arrives we started changing anything and everything on it.Our busted knuckles are worn as badges of honor,our well used wrenches are cherished like our favorite jeans.And once it ran,we loaded it up to go find some dirt.
We love the wild because we love dirt.The rock that will eventually become dirt has obstacles that we will break parts on till we can get past.The sand that was rock rides in every crack of our rigs and brings the weekend at the dunes back home with us.The mud becomes dry and hard as we drive around town showing folks at every stoplight that we do in fact use our trucks for more than work.We will lie down in the dirt and fix a busted u-joint.We will sit in the dirt around a campfire,laughing with friends.We will walk miles in the dirt to go get a buddy with a chain to pull us out of that deep bog.We will even roll out a bag and sleep in the dirt just to watch the stars overhead.Every dollar and day we spend on our 4x4's is repaid sevenfold when we make it to the dirt

Hmm, sounds like a startup religion. Sign me up! :D

Off-roading to me means getting out and seeing what goes on in real life and not on a computer monitor... It means getting some fresh air... It means I get to hang out with some friends... It means I get to pucker my ass while driving through potentially dangerous terrain... It means I get to see what my truck is capable of compared to other trucks of the same model with different mods... It means a hell of a lot to me!

It's just an all around good time!

Full_Tilt_Fud
03-02-2010, 07:16 AM
A damn good time, but an expensive one also.

not true.........my favorite off road rig to date was an 83 jeep wagoneer on 33's that I had a total of 150$ in.......when I broke the frame for the fourth time (it was a rust bucket) I sold it to a guy who wanted tne motor for his cj7 for 350$.

This hobby is only as expensive as you make it.......You can have ALOT of fun with low dollar junkyard parts and quite often you can give the guys with all the high dollar stuff a run for their money.......plus it is alot less stressful when you mess something up cause you don't have your whole paycheck invested in it.

All of the parts on my tacoma were either free or bought second hand on the cheap.......I know I have way less money into it then other people have into comparable trucks......but that does not make it any less capable or mean that I have any less fun.

Bear
03-11-2010, 02:58 AM
and I don't pretend to have the right answer. but off roading is not just the act of getting off the pavement with a motorized vehicle.

Off roading is not just about tearing up a vehicle, nor testing it's ability to withstand the rigors and abuse. Although fun, but to me not the main aspect of the hobby/sport.

Off roading like most motorized past times/sports is about the machine(s) yes. But it is more about the people involved, the passion shared. the ideas of a inanimated object and the ideas associated with such machinery that bring people together to share the mutual interest, love and enjoyment.

Being on the trails, in the mud, on the rocks is the common goal regardless of the terrian. Off roading allows the opportunity for the participents to enjoy the outdoors, to experience the fleeting awe and amazement of nature. But not the end all result of the experience.

Off roading can be communal, almost religious to certain individuals. But for a multitude amount of reasons yet still bringing the different individuals together as a common interest.

Off roading is entertaining, fun, exciting, educational, character building, bonding aggrivating, frustrating sometime boring, sometimes surprising. and about any other adjective imaginable.

But as much as the hobby is about machinery and their abilities, it is about people. how people from completely different life styles can interact and work together to bond, to problem solve, to over come, to succeed in making life long relationships.

It is also a common ground where "devote bachelors" can stand on common turf with family oriented parents. It is an activity that a dentist can enjoy while a farmer can unwind. a sport that teaches anyone the basics of mechanics as well as the instincts to become self-sufficient enough to be able to survive in emergency situations. and if that same person lacks common sense, can learn to adapt some as well as mature in whole.

But importantly off roading is what each individual chooses to make of it. there are many "right ways" and "wrong ways" of doing certain aspects of the activity. Even when good days off roading go bad, it is a better day than the typical every day. It brings people together, whether it is working and/or modifying the vehicles to being able to enjoy good commoradery around the campfire after a days ride. It pools resources fomr everyone to resolve immediate issues on the trail, or allows the sharing of a laugh or two.

Off roading doesn't even have to be about being on the trail. some of the fun is just getting the vehicle to the trail. sure a good operating vehicle is more fun than an ill truck. But working on the ill truck can be fun as well. Definitely rewarding when problems are solved and issues resolved. (I have learned that obviously over the last year)

Off roading can also be satisfying, while very personal in both opinions and taste. What might work for one person, may not be the same idea someone else thinks works the best. what one person thinks looks or performs good, may not be the same as the next person believes.

But the main philisophy behind this prompt, is Off roading brings people together, whether in good situations or adverse. off roading is a vehicle, not a hobby of vehicles.

So with the weather changing, and the throttle feet getting itchy, let's all strive to remember our sport and club is something inteneded to bring everyone together whether in the garages working on our passions or out on the trails.

Save me a spot next to the camp fire, as well as my number handy if you need a hand.

Off roading started out for me to be a means to enjoy my other passions in photography and nature. Now it is all consuming and involved to my lifestyle.

As mentioned before there is no "real" right answer. just many answers to the right questions.