: A must have for trail repairs.

YotaTaco
08-26-2005, 06:50 PM
I found this on a Death Valley Message board and it sounds like a good thing to have in your trail tool box.

"Tonight I met a desert rat who just returned from saline. Paul(from Fountain Valley) gave me a tour of his 1970 Bronco and I noticed that several parts under the hood were wrapped with some sort of black tape. Both the radiator and the lower hose were taped as a roadside repair and the forward springs were also taped. He also reports that the exhaust has been taped. He did these repairs over a year ago! And he has traveled back to the valley 5 times since. He also reports that he has taped sidewall punctures and got to Pahrump without losing air."

This stuff is "Duluth Extreme tape". It is a military designed and silicon based for repairs of anything-vehicle or household. It is designed to withstand 500 degrees and remains flexible to -60 degrees.

http://www.duluthtrading.com/items/96825.asp

WATRD
08-26-2005, 07:09 PM
If it only sticks to itself as described in the page linked, how can you repair sidewall punctures?

YotaTaco
08-26-2005, 07:43 PM
If it only sticks to itself as described in the page linked, how can you repair sidewall punctures?
Who knows? Maybe he jacked it up and wrapped it all the way around the wheel and tire. You tend to get really creative when stranded in the desert. I don't know about counting on it to fix sidewalls but it sounds good for most everything else.

flyingwil
08-26-2005, 07:58 PM
I'll stick to my good old aircraft speed tape.

WATRD
08-26-2005, 08:25 PM
Who knows? Maybe he jacked it up and wrapped it all the way around the wheel and tire. You tend to get really creative when stranded in the desert. I don't know about counting on it to fix sidewalls but it sounds good for most everything else.

hahahha I was wondering about that ;) but I have to agree, if it works as well as the page says for everything else, it might be handy to have around.

flyingwil
08-26-2005, 09:56 PM
I found this on a Death Valley Message board and it sounds like a good thing to have in your trail tool box.

"Tonight I met a desert rat who just returned from saline. Paul(from Fountain Valley) gave me a tour of his 1970 Bronco and I noticed that several parts under the hood were wrapped with some sort of black tape. Both the radiator and the lower hose were taped as a roadside repair and the forward springs were also taped. He also reports that the exhaust has been taped. He did these repairs over a year ago! And he has traveled back to the valley 5 times since. He also reports that he has taped sidewall punctures and got to Pahrump without losing air."

This stuff is "Duluth Extreme tape". It is a military designed and silicon based for repairs of anything-vehicle or household. It is designed to withstand 500 degrees and remains flexible to -60 degrees.

http://www.ferret.com.au/articles/images/84/24002d84.jpg
This is also available at Summit:
http://store.summitracing.com/default.asp?target=partdetail.asp?part=SUM-891010

and here is the company's website too:
http://vypar.mocap.com/xtreme-tape.asp

James
08-27-2005, 10:35 AM
We use it in the Air Force known as F4 tape and its ok but again sidewalls would be interesting.

dstrbdone
08-27-2005, 10:49 AM
I don't see anyway to get F4 tape to patch a sidewall unless he used it as a plug. F4 tape is thicker than most tapes and real rubbery. It would make a decent plug. It is real great for protecting wires and other lines from chaffing.

mantlebaum
08-27-2005, 10:51 PM
I am an aircraft mechanic in the army. We use this stuff on aircraft engine electrical connectors to weatherproof them. Only difference is the color. It works really well though.

mikerox
08-29-2005, 12:53 PM
i have been carrying that stuff for years. never had to do the emergeny repairs with it but my trailer hoockup is wraped with it. we used it in the navy when i was working on SH60's. i kept a couple rolls for myself. but it would never stick to a tire. definately wirth spending the cash to have couple rolls. 90 mile hour tape works for most things, but this will work for some things 90 mile hour tape wont work for.

AZTaco
08-31-2005, 07:10 PM
I've been using that for years bundling cables and such in test vehicles (missiles :D ) I design and build. Works great but I also ? the sidewall patch. I still like my mach tape. Good info though. Never thought about having some around which could only help.

hammerdown
09-16-2005, 10:30 AM

you can buy this crap at walmart for like 3 bucks. look in the paint section where the tape selection is. made by duck brand i think. same material, super cheap. im mean cummon... its walmart.

85pickup4X4
08-22-2007, 12:02 PM
ill have to get some of that. it sounds like it would be useful for many different things. i dont know how good it would work to patch the inside of a tire. you would have to break the bead around the rim. i work on tires and i dont know how to do that without a machine.

RickerRicker19
08-24-2007, 06:55 PM
90mph tape rules......I have fixed everything with that. Another great thing to have is 550 cord. I've actually used it to hold about 200lbs easy. Anything you want to tie together 550 cord is the shit you want.

drabnor
08-24-2007, 08:47 PM
you would have to break the bead around the rim. i work on tires and i dont know how to do that without a machine.

you can do it with a high lift and a truck, you can also reseat a bead with ether or starting fluid, co2 is a little safer though ;)

gixxerjesse
08-25-2007, 12:45 AM
i have seen this story before and in a dirty dust enviroment i call BS because i have tested it myself, i am a jet mech in the AF and we use that stuff for engines T-700's (they go on the H-60's) it works great for us when we put it on in a clean shop or even flight line. but i have covered cable splices in my truck with it and it usally will end up pealling it self up after a few times out wheelin, even a little dust on it will dramaticlly reduce its ability to stick to its self

so unless the guy had a bottle of alcohol it wasn't sticking to his tires.

also the military uses atleast 2 diffrant types that i know of black, and orange and from what i remember from the last time i reserched the orange will hold up to warmer temps

NTAPHSE
08-25-2007, 02:50 PM
Let me get this straight, the Bronco guy used it for an emergency trail repair, then never replaced the parts? That sounds real smart...

BTW I tried that stuff on a leaky PVC pipe in my sprinkler system and it didn't work because I couldn't get it dry enough. I agree with the guy above, that it has to be applied to a perfectly clean and dry surface, and probably wouldnt work that well out on the trail. But its cant hurt to carry it.