: Vintage Honda Motorcycle

Cpt Prozak
04-10-2010, 08:01 PM
I managed to bring back my 1964 Honda Dream 305 Touring from New York. I dont know a thing about motorcycle repair or even were im going to get parts. Does anyone know were i might be able to get a service manual?

knuckleduster271
05-06-2010, 07:34 PM
Post some pics of it. I had one when I was younger, not a 305- I cant remember how many cc's it had offhand. They are fairly easy to work on. Best place for parts would be ebay or a salvage yard. Check Clymer for a manual. Whats wrong with it? Most likley nothing an air compressor and a can of carb cleaner wont take care of. Honda 4 strokes are as reliable as the sun. Is yours a super hawk by chance? I saw a 67 305 super hawk at mid ohio vintage days last year a guy made into a brit style cafe racer. Looked badass. My next project is most likley gonna be a triumph 60's era bonneville cafe'd out. Right now I have a yamaha supermotard 450 and am currently working on a 95 honda xr200 i got really cheap. Here's a pic of the motard. Its got full Ohlins suspension, dyno'd out at 67 hp and managed I to get it plated. Its a very bad influence on my drivers license

NwiTACO
05-07-2010, 02:56 PM
The dream 305 is a really nice bike. You may actually want to try your local honda dealer parts dept for any parts. I've rebuilt several early 70's Honda dirtbikes and you would really be surprised at the parts they still have available for these things.

I would start by checking for spark and compression. If you dont have spark, clean the points, I gauruntee they'll be dirty. Change the oil and clean the carb (use HOGWASH if you can find it, single best carb cleaner ever made, some states have banned it :D).

Good Luck!

Cpt Prozak
05-08-2010, 09:41 AM
when my grandad gave it to me he said the card was bad, i took it off yesterday and instead of a butterfly vlave it has a piston which is froze up. other then that all i know of is some crimp connecters that need to be cut off and wires soderd, oil change and gasket (leaks oil), and the distributor looks really crudy. the bike is in really good condition considering its age. ill post some pictures later

knuckleduster271
05-09-2010, 02:12 PM
put some marvel mystery oil down both cylinders and let sit for a couple days, it may free up your froze piston.

Cpt Prozak
05-09-2010, 07:16 PM
It turns over fine its the carb thats froze up. In place of the butterfly valve is a small piston, theres so much crud around it that its froze up. im gonna soak the thing with some carb cleaner and hopefuly itll move

91pickup
05-18-2010, 03:00 PM
That piston thing you're talking about, is called a throttle slide. Agree with most other people, its a honda, clean the carb, clean the points, adjust them and an oil change(although most honda motors are like 22re's, they don't need oil. LOL) and it will fire right up.