TTORA Forum banner

FJ62 - Fuel Pump Replacement

8K views 8 replies 3 participants last post by  SAR_Squid79 
#1 ·
Last Saturday, I drove my FJ62 around running errands in the morning. It ran fine. My wife and I went back out in the evening to drive to dinner for our anniversary. The FJ62 started (took a little longer than usual to start), seemed to run fine. I pulled it out of the garage and drove about 20 yards and it cut off. It cranks over very strong but won't start.

Troubleshooting Sunday morning (using my FSM) - I was definitely getting spark. All the fuses are good. The distributor was replaced about 8 months ago (with an OEM distributor).

My mother-in-law borrowed the Cruiser on Friday to run some errands, and I suspect that she ran out of gas, or close to it. I suspect this because she has borrowed my Cruiser several times in the past and NEVER ONCE put gas in it, and when she borrowed it on Friday it was below 1/2 a tank, and returned full...

I did the paperclip test IAW the FSM which basically hotwires the pump so it will run constantly when the switch is turned on. I could hear the fuel pump whining, but the Crusier still wouldn't start.

I left the paperclip in place, and disconnected the fuel line before the fuel filter, turned the switch back to 'On' and didn't get a single drop of fuel from the fuel line... Last year when I had a distributor issue, I initially suspected the fuel pump, so I disconnected the fuel line at the filter, and it shot gas all the way across the parking lot!

...I called TRDparts4U, and they is quoted me $260 for a new Toyota OEM fuel pump, and fuel pump filter (sock filter).

There is a Denso pump and an Aisin pump, which are both TECHNICALLY Toyota parts, but the Aisin costs about $40 more. I ended up getting the Denso Pump. I was going to go ahead and get the fuel pressure regulator too, just for the hell of it, until he told me that it was $118! ...that'll have to wait!

I drained the fuel tank Thursday (pretty easy thanks to the drain plug), and removed the spare tire, and spare tire mount cross-member. On wednesday I sprayed all the bolts with PB Blaster. Thursday - I went ahead and loosened all the bolts with no problems. All I have to do is disconnect the 2 fuel lines, and the tank should come out nice and easy.

See less See more
#2 ·
Got the gas tank out today. Not that difficult since my gas tank had a drain plug, and I was able to get all the gas out of it. I do suspect that it will be more difficult to get it back in, though...

I thought that when I disconnected the 2 main fuel lines, disconnected the filler neck, and removed the 2 bolts that hold the Tank Belly Bands, the gas tank would just fall in my lap... BUT NO! I had to disconnect the rear sway bar, and take the sway bar mounts off of the frame. Once those were out of the way, the tank still wouldn't come down! I coulnd't see why . . . until I saw the 5 wierd hoses that are on the right side of the tank that connect to ??????? Once I got those 5 hoses disconnected, the tank did just come right out. ~So it was a bit more than I thought, but not too bad. I would rather do this than cut a hole in my floor!

I pulled the fuel pump assembly out. I removed the pump itself so I could do a bench test on it. I'm pretty sure this pump is screwed. Here's a video - what do you guys think?

#6 ·
It does not. 1991 and newer Land Cruisers do have a fuel pump access panel under the carpet in the back, but 1990 and older do not. ...and Mine is a 1990. :(

#9 ·
All-in-all, not too bad of a job.

It was a little bit of a bitch getting the tank back in place by myself - and it has to be positioned PERFECTLY to get the belly bands back on...

But once that was done, the rest was pretty easy. Definitely not worth paying a shop $650 to do it!

But anyway - I got the new fuel pump back in and she fired right up, and took me to Chick-Fil-A for dinner and back!

Big thanks to the guys at TRDparts4U!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.