: Getting a new ride, mods?

gtrotter
06-02-2010, 07:47 PM
Sooo looks like in two weeks I will have another Toy pickup to be hammering on. I'm looking at picking up an 85 pickup, regular cab 5 speed. It is carbed, so I will eventually convert it to EFI for reliability( daily driver) and offroading.
I will be throwing on my 33's I have on my Tacoma, and putting the 32's back on the Tacoma.

Questions:

What am I looking at first other than EFI?
I know I want sliders, a rear locker minimum, and bumpers.

Any weakpoints on these trucks I need to know of? I see myself easily getting into areas that will cause body damage( don't really care about the body on this one).

Skids? I need something simple and cheap.

Basic maintenance has been done on this one, has a new clutch and trans out of a 90 pickup.

NwiTACO
06-03-2010, 07:38 AM
Congrats grant! Talk to greg as his runner was pretty much mechanically the same as this mini. Once I get down there we can crank out some skids quick and easy for this thing. Armor first for sure, skids sliders, bumpers maybe. Keep your eyes open for a style you like and we can go from there.

99sr54wd
06-03-2010, 08:04 AM
make sure it's mechanically sound before you put any money on the add-on stuff. drive around for couple months just to get all the bugs figured out. an old rig always has some thing leaking here and there, engine, steering, brakes, driveline. those annoying little things can get you stranded big time, so be patient.

gtrotter
06-03-2010, 10:18 AM
Yeah, definitely will be going through it very meticulously.

Bear
06-20-2010, 08:45 PM
not sure how I missed this thread, If the new toy is carbed, you might want to check out this link: http://www.gotpropane.com/p4.html

that would be cool for the trails and you could do a duel fuel set up for D.D chores.

Get your armor on after you shake down the new ride, then your lockers, then suspension.

If you want to update the rear axle, I know where there is a complete TRD rear axle that would be cool retro fitted into an older toy.

gtrotter
06-20-2010, 09:05 PM
Wound up not buying it, decided I would rather hold out for a fuel injected ride since I like climbing hills. Figured it would be worth it to pay a little more for fuel injection than to pay for a duel fuel setup.

In the meantime, when i get my 4wheeler sold my order is going in for some new parts for the 09.

Bear
06-23-2010, 02:25 PM
Grant, should this thread be closed since you did not purchase?

NwiTACO
06-24-2010, 07:34 AM
I thought that the other day as well...

gtrotter
06-24-2010, 09:17 PM
Yes, thread close or deletion, your choice.