: Deckplate Mod : Implemented

da'Burd
09-02-2005, 04:32 PM
Been a little over 2 weeks now and the deckplate mod totally rocks!!! Thanks TTORA!!!

Increased my MPG by at least 1 solid extra MPG. And gave truckee a nice sound too. No check engine light thanks to sensor safe silicon.

Only let the silicon dry for an hour as reccomended on the packaging. Planned on letting it sit overnight, but the surf shop called and my new board was ready.

All in all - Love the mod. Noticed a little extra HP, as I was spinning out a little in take-offs without even trying.

9/26/2005 Update - Amsoil air filter has been installed, and over the past few weeks and a few more tanks of gas....I'll have to say that there is no MPG gain. Definetly have better throttle response, but can't say that equates to more HP though. Thanks Again TTORA!!!

:driving:

99ARTaco
09-02-2005, 05:07 PM
Been a little over 2 weeks now and the deckplate mod totally rocks!!! Thanks TTORA!!!

Increased my MPG by at least 1 solid extra MPG. And gave truckee a nice sound too. No check engine light thanks to sensor safe silicon.

Only let the silicon dry for an hour as reccomended on the packaging. Planned on letting it sit overnight, but the surf shop called and my new board was ready.

All in all - Love the mod. Noticed a little extra HP, as I was spinning out a little in take-offs without even trying.

:driving:

:xsmokin1: :xsmokin1: :xsmokin1: Right on dude :D :D :D even if you can save :2cents: at the pump these days it will help. Let me know how you like it after you install that Amsoil filter? Don't end up like this :wiggle: surfing that new board.

themariachi
09-02-2005, 05:22 PM
glad you like it...

NorcalPR
09-04-2005, 11:14 AM
Cool. I didn't even use silicone on mine. It's such a tight fit I figured that it water is egtting through the deplate, water is getting through the stock location.

:thumbsup:

hawaiianbro
09-04-2005, 12:03 PM
Cool. I didn't even use silicone on mine. It's such a tight fit I figured that it water is egtting through the deplate, water is getting through the stock location.

Either that or getting through the hole that you duck taped. :p

themariachi
09-04-2005, 01:00 PM

if I were you, I would spend the extra $3 and get the sensor safe just to be safe...IMO

sploosh
09-05-2005, 12:58 PM
I see mostly everyone has a 4" deckplate. I read on the original thread you could go up to a 5". Is there a reason everyone's staying at 4"?

sploosh
09-05-2005, 01:00 PM
I plan on doing the mod next week and was just wondering if there was some issue with the 5" plates, since that's the one I had planned on getting.

SAR_Squid79
09-05-2005, 04:43 PM
When you do the mod you want to stay between the little hump in the airbox on the left side, and the windshield washer tank filler neck on the right side. The 5" deckplate makes that a little difficult.

sploosh
09-05-2005, 07:35 PM
Alright man, thanks for the info. 4" Beckson deckplate it is.

boylem002
09-05-2005, 10:56 PM
I put a 6" in without any issues on the 3.4L It fits perfectly when centered on the front of the box. The top of the deckplate flange sticks above the top of the airbox by about 1/16th of an inch, but not really noticeable. I can install and remove the cover easily as well. It allowed me to skip the whole elbow removal mod, as it wouldn't really offer much more than a 6 inch hole allows.

Trunks Only
09-07-2005, 01:37 PM
Yea, the 6" deckplate was no problem, a little unnerving to cut such a large hole in the airbox, but it worked out great. I removed the elbow at the same time so I can't speak of an added bonus there, however, the sound is great as is the throttle response it seemed to help out with. last piece is new gears....any cheap tricks for those?

boylem002
09-07-2005, 05:21 PM
junkyard find might be cheaper, but may prove less reliable. Pretty much looks like somewhere in the neighborhood of 600 bucks for re-gearing. It's almost worth it to just save a bit more and go with an ARB airlocker (assuming you don't have the e-locker)

NorcalPR
09-09-2005, 09:33 PM
Either that or getting through the hole that you duck taped. :p

Better than nothing!!!

I've had no problems with the silicone free deckplate.

boylem002
09-09-2005, 09:40 PM
yeah, i skipped the silicone. I figure if I'm in water that high, I should've had a snorkel anyway or I've got bigger problems going on in the exhaust department.

gary briggs
09-09-2005, 10:34 PM
im not entirely convinced i got any more milage or power from the deckplate mod, just better sound

hk'dontoys
09-10-2005, 12:11 PM
Alright man, thanks for the info. 4" Beckson deckplate it is.
see if you can borrow a 4" hole saw. makes clean cut in seconds and the honeycomb inside airbox doesn't affect the saw at all like some have said about the dremel. i put a small piece of nylon windowscreen over the deckplate before silicone and stainless screws. i also bolted a 1/8" vinyl coated cable with terminal ends crimped and shrink wrapped to the center cover and airbox so i can't loose the cover if i tried. bought stainless from boat store and cable from lowes for less than a dollar for around 12". just my upgrade tip if you are interested.

1noobie
09-10-2005, 01:08 PM
Had no problem at all with my 5" deckplate.