TTORA Forum banner

Looking at a 99 100 series but for what?

4K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  SAR_Squid79 
#1 ·
I'm looking at a '99 100 series this weekend and need the quick poop/dirt/skinny on what to look for. This is a 160k miler apparently with frt/rear/cntr diff locks all stock.

I've been looking for a 95+ 80 series but the 100 is a smokin' deal. It will be the wifes DD replacing a 2000 cherokee sport. Looking for the cruiser to take the family to all the places the Taco takes me. (cherokee is too small/rough and jeep like)

What fits in the wheel wells?
What issues do the 100s commonly have.
How much feed vs the 80's? parts, lube, plugs, brakes ( I assume they all will cost more).

Any significant maint that should have been done that will bite me in the A$$?

Realistically there will not be a ton of mods but 33-35's, basic protection, possibly re-gear and lots of camping goodies.

Just need to get my head around this 100 vs 80 business.

What are the thoughts on the torsion IFS v Coilovers?

Thanks for all the GOOD input in advance.

See less See more
#2 ·
Check out IH8MUD.com and youll get all our answers.

D

#3 ·
I have owned several 100's they are a great truck. Slee off road is a great place to get info on 80's and 100's and what to look for and do with them.

Use this link to check out their newbie info section on 100's

http://www.sleeoffroad.com/newbie/newbieUZJ100.htm

The 100 did not have front lockers as an option. Only rear and that is only available in 98 and 99. A 99 will get you rear air which is nice.

Lot of guys running arb lift and 285 to I believe 305 on these trucks.

The one main repair you are looking for is the timing belt change at around 90 to 110 k depending on who you ask. The one real poor design I have seen is the starter contacts can wear out and the starter is located under the intake manifold. This suck for replacing.

There was a great article a year or so ago in toyota trails on the 80 vs the 100. I personally think the 100 is a nicer and more powerful DD and the 80 is a little more heavily built with its solid axles and 2 locker availability form the factory. The maintenance is very close. 80 seem to go through brakes faster.

Either way you go it will be worlds ahead of a cherokee

#4 ·
You won't fit 35s on the 100 without major work. The front carrier is a serious weak point, best addressed by getting an ARB locker up front.

#6 ·
I know they come with the ablilty to lift it self. but it will drop back down when you hit 30mph. Stock its good...just pickup some A/T's and you'll be set for the family...not sure how modified your other truck is but you would need to get a permanent lift for bigger tires.

#7 ·
Picked up the '99, it doesn't have AHC just good 'ol torsion bar front, coil rear, no pumps-no valves.

33's fit stock with 0 rub.

Just picked up a Doug Thorley header on a group buy!

So far we love this thing and it does great on the trail!

Thanks for the feedback, I have since discovered IH8MUD for cruiser stuff as well.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.