: 37's and IFS, it does work.

rippinred
11-01-2010, 01:16 PM
http://s870.photobucket.com/albums/ab270/ridin450tolive/tacoma%20pics/

Hope this link works for you guys. There's more pics to come as I get them uploaded. Flex shot to come when I get those pics. The build is as follows:

AP LT kit
Fiberglass fenders
RCV axles
ARB locker in the front
Walker Evans beadlock wheels
37" Pitbull Rockers
All of AP's skid plates, sliders and bumpers, rear bumper not installed yet.

Enjoy.

freeze
11-01-2010, 08:44 PM
Looks like Whipsaw! Nice photos

Hilux_MAX
11-01-2010, 09:59 PM
love this truck mate! very inspirational...what specs are the whhels if i may ask?

also, how cose is the tyre to the spindle/uca's?

cheers.

johnecon2001
11-01-2010, 10:00 PM
Did you clearance the rear bed sides?

mpower
11-01-2010, 10:03 PM

x2

i can barley clear 33's at full stuff

the_kernel114
11-01-2010, 10:26 PM
thats weird, i clear 33's no problems and have room for 35's if i wanted to.

johnecon2001
11-01-2010, 11:22 PM
thats weird, i clear 33's no problems and have room for 35's if i wanted to.

That's weird, you must have a different definition of "stuffing the rear tire" then.

rippinred
11-02-2010, 01:19 PM
love this truck mate! very inspirational...what specs are the whhels if i may ask?

also, how cose is the tyre to the spindle/uca's?

cheers.

The wheels are 17x8.5 with 4" back spacing I believe. I'd have to call the place I got them from to confirm thou. Tire is about 1/2" away from the spindle gusset but it never touches. I wish I could put bigger tires on but not with IFS.

I did clearence the rear bedside a bit at the back of the opening where the wheel well drops down, I continued the arch from the front. I also removed the flare of the back of the truck to gain alittle more clearence at full flex althou I did add a 1" spacer block between the bump stop and the top of the leaf pack. Fiberglass rear bedsides to come so I can get more flex from the rig.

Ya freeze the pics are from whipsaw, we went over the trail both directions in 2 days, completed every off shot on the trail too, was an awesome trip.

the_kernel114
11-02-2010, 07:36 PM
That's weird, you must have a different definition of "stuffing the rear tire" then.

right side drooped as far as i can and left side hitting the bumpstop and i have 1.5 inches of clearance front to back and 1 inch above the tire, with 255/85/16's which are taller then 285's. i only have problems in the front with 35's, either need allpro glass fenders or take the flair off and cut the sheet metal.

johnecon2001
11-02-2010, 07:54 PM
with 255/85/16's which are taller then 285's.
And skinnier.

the_kernel114
11-02-2010, 08:01 PM
which doesn't matter in the rear since i have 4 inches of backingspacing on the wheels and that puts the outside of the tread inline with the flare when touching the bump stop. and i still have plenty of room.

steve604
11-03-2010, 12:49 AM
nice whipsaw pics. you can never run the whipsaw too many times and never have enough pictures of the scenery.

rippinred
11-03-2010, 12:54 PM
nice whipsaw pics. you can never run the whipsaw too many times and never have enough pictures of the scenery.

Ya, the scenery is amazing up there. It's so crazy how the trail has changed over the last 18yrs. I go every yr on my dirt bike and now I take my truck. It's a good time. Now to find some trails that are more challenging. Anyone know of any real tough trails?

brinner
11-03-2010, 01:49 PM
word has it that 37" pitbulls actually measure out to 35"

rippinred
11-03-2010, 02:14 PM

Mine measure out to 36.4" when mounted. Guess it depends on how wide of a rim there mounted on and if there bias ply or radials.

BC_TACOMA
11-03-2010, 06:56 PM
Ya, the scenery is amazing up there. It's so crazy how the trail has changed over the last 18yrs. I go every yr on my dirt bike and now I take my truck. It's a good time. Now to find some trails that are more challenging. Anyone know of any real tough trails?

Yes i know of some Trails..............:D

rippinred
11-03-2010, 09:38 PM
Yes i know of some Trails..............:D

Sweet. I've done upper hut lake, eagle mtn and whipsaw. Looking for some trails to push my limits and trucks limits. Can you name any? Pm me if you want.

allpro
11-03-2010, 09:43 PM
Your wheels have 4.5" backspacing, same ones I just got on my truck (new set for SEMA), but I stuck with 35s. Good to know 37s are possible - your truck turned out nice! ;)

freeze
11-04-2010, 12:12 PM

Rubicon might change things up for you.... Moab has some fun obstacles! Parts of the Island in BC. Pick redape's brain on CT4WD he's got the trails down on the island like the back of his hand.

+1!

KRYPTO(dale)
11-04-2010, 12:50 PM
37's and ifs...you will soon be an expert at replacing axels,tie rod ends,steering,etc..

ike
11-04-2010, 01:03 PM
OR he could know how to drive and get lucky and not break much.

rippinred
11-04-2010, 01:21 PM
37's and ifs...you will soon be an expert at replacing axels,tie rod ends,steering,etc..

hahahahaha. Depends how I drive my rig. If parts keep breaking the LT kit is gonna come out and I'll do a solid axle swap on it. Don't get me wrong parts are going to break, just see how often they break. So far I have broke an RCV axle, happened to have an issue with length of the center axle and it caused the inner joint to fail. Other than that the truck has been awesome for me. Still on original wheel bearings at 130,000kms, haven't had the throwout bearing go either. I beat the crap out of this truck cause really I don't care about it at all. It is strictly for off road use only.

ike
11-04-2010, 01:24 PM
Strange platform to decide to go off road only with.

Volcomander
11-04-2010, 01:37 PM
Pics? Photobucket is blocked here at work?

rippinred
11-04-2010, 02:34 PM
Strange platform to decide to go off road only with.

Ya, the shop wanted to try a LT kit and see what it's limits are as they did a AP solid axle tacoma as well. It works pretty good for off road thou, hasn't limited me yet.

BOVADS
11-04-2010, 03:03 PM
oookk....?? now come out to AZ and see how long it will last.

:scared::explode:

BC_TACOMA
11-04-2010, 06:20 PM
Ya, the shop wanted to try a LT kit and see what it's limits are as they did a AP solid axle tacoma as well. It works pretty good for off road thou, hasn't limited me yet.

Ya we will have to get together one of these days & do some Trails. My rig is under the Knife right now for the next couple weeks. I be :saw: the frame :eek: along with a couple other Do-Dads :D

rippinred
11-04-2010, 07:05 PM
Ya we will have to get together one of these days & do some Trails. My rig is under the Knife right now for the next couple weeks. I be :saw: the frame :eek: along with a couple other Do-Dads :D

Ya we will have to go drive some trails. My rig is gonna be under the knife all winter as well. New transfer case, rear axle, and some finishing touches on the front suspension plus fiberglass bedsides. In spring a full cage goes in too, can't be too safe. Lol.

Sisyphus
11-05-2010, 01:59 PM
Did you do longer shafts on the CV, or did you replace the whole CV including upgraded joints?

I never had the actual shaft break, it was always the joints. Weakest part of the whole drivetrain by far and away. Seems odd that Allpro would sell a chromoly shaft for the long travel kit, its overkill if you still have the stock tripod/rzeppa joints.

ike
11-05-2010, 03:41 PM
Strange since most of the cv breaks I have seen on the trail have been the actual shaft.

Scuba
11-05-2010, 04:02 PM
Did you do longer shafts on the CV, or did you replace the whole CV including upgraded joints?

I never had the actual shaft break, it was always the joints. Weakest part of the whole drivetrain by far and away. Seems odd that Allpro would sell a chromoly shaft for the long travel kit, its overkill if you still have the stock tripod/rzeppa joints.

Strange since most of the cv breaks I have seen on the trail have been the actual shaft.

Most I've seen are on the outside cage..

Recently I saw this though..
http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a168/Sycosurfer150/Truck/Pontiac%20and%20Mottino/DSCN0698.jpg

rippinred
11-05-2010, 04:12 PM
I swapped the stock cv axles for complete RCV axles and joints. We have a length issue so the inner joints guts failed. The outer joint is from a Dana 60 and it's built tough. Just got to fix my length issue and axle breaking shouldn't be an issue. As far as why I stayed IFS, I like the skinny pedal and also like to crawl. The lt kit gives me what I want as far as flex and handling. I'll be able to crawl better once the atlas 4 transfer case gets here, it's ordered and now I'm waiting for it to be built and the new rockjock 60 rear end with lower gears. Truck goes back under the knife in a month for the rest if winter.

Rodge
11-05-2010, 06:33 PM

They use to measure that, apparently Pitbull got enough complaints and redid them.

BC_TACOMA
11-08-2010, 07:03 PM
I swapped the stock cv axles for complete RCV axles and joints. We have a length issue so the inner joints guts failed. The outer joint is from a Dana 60 and it's built tough. Just got to fix my length issue and axle breaking shouldn't be an issue. As far as why I stayed IFS, I like the skinny pedal and also like to crawl. The lt kit gives me what I want as far as flex and handling. I'll be able to crawl better once the atlas 4 transfer case gets here, it's ordered and now I'm waiting for it to be built and the new rockjock 60 rear end with lower gears. Truck goes back under the knife in a month for the rest if winter.

Are you going back to National in Langley again or Alberta?

rippinred
11-08-2010, 11:59 PM
Are you going back to National in Langley again or Alberta?

Langley for sure. My truck stays in BC all the time. Rich and Tyller take good care of my truck. Plus they started the project so they get to finish it. Only thing they won't do is the roll cage, gonna get a cage shop to build that for me.

Sisyphus
11-09-2010, 11:07 AM
Most I've seen are on the outside cage..

The "outside cage" is the outer race of the rzeppa joint.

For anyone who hasn't seen the guts of their CV's yet, these are some decent pictures of what is in there, minus the giant mess of grease. (These pictures are not necessarily Tacoma specific)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v211/sisyphus_/rzeppacv.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v211/sisyphus_/rzeppa.jpg

The CV has a rzeppa outer, shown above and a tripod or "tulip" joint inner shown below. (Outer is at the spindles, innner is at the differential)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v211/sisyphus_/tripod.jpg

Does anyone actually have pictures of an 05+ CV where the Shaft itself broke?

Sisyphus
11-09-2010, 11:17 AM

Oops :D

I like the truck, and I'm glad to see you got rid of the stock joints. Does the Rockjock reuse the stock ABS stuff? That was the bitch of swapping in a 14 bolt on mine, was dialing in the proportioning valve and getting the ABS system to stop freaking out. It wasn't a problem at first until I drove the truck for a bit. Now it stops better than it ever did, but having 1 ton disc brakes tends to help that out. Any plans for a new master cylinder or upgraded fronts?

rippinred
11-09-2010, 11:35 AM
Oops :D

I like the truck, and I'm glad to see you got rid of the stock joints. Does the Rockjock reuse the stock ABS stuff? That was the bitch of swapping in a 14 bolt on mine, was dialing in the proportioning valve and getting the ABS system to stop freaking out. It wasn't a problem at first until I drove the truck for a bit. Now it stops better than it ever did, but having 1 ton disc brakes tends to help that out. Any plans for a new master cylinder or upgraded fronts?

The rockjock is gonna use my stock drums, I have no reason to switch to discs since the back of truck is all fiberglass now. Abs is gonna be disconnected by pulling the fuse so that's gonna be nice. Rear axle isn't here yet but it will be shortly, not in a rush as I'll need driveshaft work and such when the transfer case comes. Gonna do the install of the rockjock and atlas 4 at the same time. Tom woods driveshafts are going in as well. But as far as brakes go, I have no issues with the stock brakes. Front rotors are powerslot with hawk pads and stainless lines. Rear has stainless lines too. Truck stops great for me. Plus drum brakes don't get as much damage from rocks and stuff.

rippinred
12-02-2010, 05:54 PM
Guess time for an update. Front axle issue is still not sorted out, blew the head gaskets on the diesel so garage space was limited. Well I finally picked up Solo Motorsports double shear kit for the upper control and there engine mount gusset kit, rather not have the engine mounts fail. Rear bumper goes on soon along with fiberglass rear fenders. Still waiting for my atlas 4 transfer case, least I'm on the list. Anyone have any other mods that might suit my rig? interested in other ppls ideas. Rockjock 60 rear axle is going in as well and a full roll cage too. I keep thinking i am missing something thou. Thanks

steve604
12-02-2010, 07:18 PM
6.0 powerstroke head gaskets?

rippinred
12-02-2010, 09:16 PM
6.0 powerstroke head gaskets?

No not a 6.0. I have a 6.4 powerstroke running +700whp. Little too much nitrous this summer. Whoops.

tacosupreme
12-02-2010, 10:22 PM
I keep thinking i am missing something thou. Thanks

Bypass shocks and bumps will change your life. It's like wheelin' in an old Caddillac.

rippinred
12-02-2010, 11:38 PM
Bypass shocks and bumps will change your life. It's like wheelin' in an old Caddillac.

for trail truck? truck never goes in the desert. air bumps is a def idea thou.

theduck911
12-30-2010, 01:13 PM
Badass Truck man,

I was just planning on doing the AP LT kit with 35's but this is fricken sweet.

Stupid forums always changing my mind!:rolleyes:

Also, Are those AP Fiberglass Fenders up front?

rippinred
12-30-2010, 06:53 PM
Badass Truck man,

I was just planning on doing the AP LT kit with 35's but this is fricken sweet.

Stupid forums always changing my mind!:rolleyes:

Also, Are those AP Fiberglass Fenders up front?
Yes they are AP fenders on the front. A set of glassworks bedsides are on route along with a few other parts. Glad you like it.

theduck911
12-30-2010, 11:21 PM
Yes they are AP fenders on the front. A set of glassworks bedsides are on route along with a few other parts. Glad you like it.

Right on, Looking can't decide if I wanna run Fenders or just cut some of the fenders insides (like Freeze's truck) and run 35's.

What Kind of Air Intake do you have on your truck? Wondering because You seem to run through a lot of the same type of the bush terrain as I do.

rippinred
12-30-2010, 11:34 PM
Right on, Looking can't decide if I wanna run Fenders or just cut some of the fenders insides (like Freeze's truck) and run 35's.

What Kind of Air Intake do you have on your truck? Wondering because You seem to run through a lot of the same type of the bush terrain as I do.

I have a kn intake for now but in may I'm going to install a supercharger. This isn't my daily driver thou so that could change your mind. I've rn this intake for about 3 years no. So far so good.

theduck911
12-30-2010, 11:48 PM
I have a kn intake for now but in may I'm going to install a supercharger. This isn't my daily driver thou so that could change your mind. I've rn this intake for about 3 years no. So far so good.

Oh okay, I'm just wondering since most of the trails around here have mud (some have a little too much) and to get to a lot of them you have cross rivers and some get pretty deep, am I at risk of sucking in water with a CAI?

Thanks

hytenor
12-31-2010, 02:07 AM
any pics of the front suspension setup?

rippinred
12-31-2010, 08:37 AM
any pics of the front suspension setup?

http://i870.photobucket.com/albums/ab270/ridin450tolive/Picture017.jpg
theres the only pic I have of the front suspension.

As far as sucking water into your engine thru the intake it is definetly a possibility. I have sucked alot of water into my engine and I now need to change my engine out as it burns alot of oil. if you cross the water slowly you should be fine for the most part but it a concern none the less

rippinred
12-31-2010, 08:40 AM
heres one more pic, not great but still helps.

http://i870.photobucket.com/albums/ab270/ridin450tolive/IMG_0129.jpg

oakleyTRD
12-31-2010, 10:28 AM
what rear bumper did you decide on?

My 35s are getting pretty torn up from rubbing the bedsides so glass is coming soon for me.

Edit: your gunna want these, i can see your Cam tabs starting to flatten

http://www.chaosfab.com/product/accessories/05tacoma/59860.jpg

http://www.chaosfab.com/toyaccess_05taco.html

rippinred
12-31-2010, 01:10 PM
what rear bumper did you decide on?

My 35s are getting pretty torn up from rubbing the bedsides so glass is coming soon for me.

Edit: your gunna want these, i can see your Cam tabs starting to flatten

http://www.chaosfab.com/product/accessories/05tacoma/59860.jpg

http://www.chaosfab.com/toyaccess_05taco.html

when you say flatten what are you meaning? I looked at getting those tabs but no one up here is a distibuter for TC so it's a real battle to get them and my alignment is holding perfect so far. Also We did some welding on the factory tabs so they stay in place perfetly.

theduck911
12-31-2010, 01:11 PM
As far as sucking water into your engine thru the intake it is definetly a possibility. I have sucked alot of water into my engine and I now need to change my engine out as it burns alot of oil. if you cross the water slowly you should be fine for the most part but it a concern none the less

Oh okay, yea that's what I'm worried about, nothing has happened yet, but it's a possibility. Would be get a snorkel be over kill though, cause I'm sure there are still other ways for water to get into the engine.

rippinred
12-31-2010, 01:13 PM
I picked up a AP rear bumper from BC TACOMA as he isn't using it now as he did a bunch of tube work.

oakleyTRD
12-31-2010, 01:32 PM
when you say flatten what are you meaning? I looked at getting those tabs but no one up here is a distibuter for TC so it's a real battle to get them and my alignment is holding perfect so far. Also We did some welding on the factory tabs so they stay in place perfetly.

in one of your pics it looked like they were starting to bend flat but since you already reinforced them your probably good.

this is what happened to mine, happened on my buddies LT 1st gen too.

http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm135/clifftubbs/DSC_0149.jpg

you can see where the outer tab bent completely flat.

My alignment holds but getting its not easy to get to spec, we welded some 1/8" flat stock in place until I ordered the cam tabs and it worked fine.

If you still think you want the TC cam tabs send me a PM and Ill help you out

Edit Is are allpro bumper and wraps going to work with the Glassworks bedsides? i guess your gunna be the guinea pig

rippinred
12-31-2010, 01:37 PM
in one of your pics it looked like they were starting to bend flat but since you already reinforced them your probably good.

this is what happened to mine, happened on my buddies LT 1st gen too.

http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm135/clifftubbs/DSC_0149.jpg

you can see where the outer tab bent completely flat.

My alignment holds but getting its not easy to get to spec, we welded some 1/8" flat stock in place until I ordered the cam tabs and it worked fine.

If you still think you want the TC cam tabs send me a PM and Ill help you out

I totally agree. with the little bit of getto reinforcement I did I seem to be alright. I haven't seen my rig in months, 2.5 months to be exact. My daily driver has been plaguing me lately. I got to get home so I can get it into the shop so someone can start and finish stage 2

all.on.black
01-03-2011, 10:02 AM
Would you recommend the RCV axles? I have the All Pro kit and I'm on 35's. The only reason I haven't done 37's is because of the axles. I have a locker in the front so breaking the stock axles with 37's won't be a problem. What measurements did you give them for the shafts?

rippinred
01-03-2011, 01:35 PM
Would you recommend the RCV axles? I have the All Pro kit and I'm on 35's. The only reason I haven't done 37's is because of the axles. I have a locker in the front so breaking the stock axles with 37's won't be a problem. What measurements did you give them for the shafts?

Hold off on the RCV axles for a bit. I'm working with all pro to get a set of dimensions figured. Prob in 3 months we should have something figured.

theduck911
01-03-2011, 02:57 PM
Hold off on the RCV axles for a bit. I'm working with all pro to get a set of dimensions figured. Prob in 3 months we should have something figured.

That's cool man,

So RCV is custom making a complete custom shaft and assembly for you?

rippinred
01-03-2011, 03:08 PM
That's cool man,

So RCV is custom making a complete custom shaft and assembly for you?

Yes. I have the first set, dimensions are off so were sorting that out. Theres some rubbing that needs to be fixed.

all.on.black
01-03-2011, 05:55 PM

Awesome. Let me know how they hold up and what the specs are. I think that'll be the next thing I purchase if it holds up to 37's.

rippinred
01-03-2011, 06:06 PM
Awesome. Let me know how they hold up and what the specs are. I think that'll be the next thing I purchase if it holds up to 37's.
The axles will most likely be available thru All Pro when we get them figured out or thru RCV too. 37's might be on the big side for the IFS but only time will tell. If you daily drive it I wouldn't put them on. Later

theduck911
01-03-2011, 08:21 PM
Yes. I have the first set, dimensions are off so were sorting that out. Theres some rubbing that needs to be fixed.

Oh okay, that's cool...Thanks for being the guinea pig:D

I'm looking in the AP LT Kit for the spring and if RCVs were available instead of just extended axles I'd definitely jump on those.

rippinred
01-03-2011, 09:07 PM
Oh okay, that's cool...Thanks for being the guinea pig:D

I'm looking in the AP LT Kit for the spring and if RCVs were available instead of just extended axles I'd definitely jump on those.

No prob on the guinea pig, someone had to. I talked to Sarah and John from AP today. They want the axles to be an option they can offer customers so I'm hoping we can make some good head way, I don't get wheel my truck as much as I like since it is 20hrs away from me but none the less when I do get out I drive the wheels off it. Sarah told me that they haven't had an axle failure yet, but I'm not sure about a joint failure from them. I know I blew a few axles before the LT kit and I'm sure I'll break more once the supercharger goes on but that's a whole different issue, maybe the back will break. Anyways I get home on the 14 of this month and am gonna rip te current RCV axles out and send them in for exchange on the new spec ones. I'll post some info when get them back in. Prob won't be testing them much till march maybe but more likely April since my turbo sled is calling my name. Any questions about the LT kit feel free to ask. Later

theduck911
01-08-2011, 02:52 PM
No prob on the guinea pig, someone had to. I talked to Sarah and John from AP today. They want the axles to be an option they can offer customers so I'm hoping we can make some good head way, I don't get wheel my truck as much as I like since it is 20hrs away from me but none the less when I do get out I drive the wheels off it. Sarah told me that they haven't had an axle failure yet, but I'm not sure about a joint failure from them. I know I blew a few axles before the LT kit and I'm sure I'll break more once the supercharger goes on but that's a whole different issue, maybe the back will break. Anyways I get home on the 14 of this month and am gonna rip te current RCV axles out and send them in for exchange on the new spec ones. I'll post some info when get them back in. Prob won't be testing them much till march maybe but more likely April since my turbo sled is calling my name. Any questions about the LT kit feel free to ask. Later

Oh that's cool, you've just got a bunch of awesome toys eh! :D

And yea, I just picked up my rear suspension today (AP Rear Expo Leafs) so the front needs to be updated probably will be done late spring early summer so I might just need to pick your brain for Ideas and help down the road!

rippinred
01-08-2011, 03:50 PM
Oh I have a pile of toys to play with. Stage 2 of my build has been canceled, had a change of heart and decided I'm happy with the state the truck is in now minus fiberglass bedsides which I'll be getting in a few weeks and in April I'll put the superchager on too. Ya go ahead and ask questions whenever. If any one is curious why I halted further modifications to the Tacoma it is because I would rather mod my diesel into a big hp monster and I am also gonna be buying a house soon too, maybe I'll mod the taco more then as I'll have space to do the work myself. Later guys.

theduck911
01-08-2011, 10:45 PM
Oh I have a pile of toys to play with. Stage 2 of my build has been canceled, had a change of heart and decided I'm happy with the state the truck is in now minus fiberglass bedsides which I'll be getting in a few weeks and in April I'll put the superchager on too. Ya go ahead and ask questions whenever. If any one is curious why I halted further modifications to the Tacoma it is because I would rather mod my diesel into a big hp monster and I am also gonna be buying a house soon too, maybe I'll mod the taco more then as I'll have space to do the work myself. Later guys.

That's sweet man,

And Yea your truck right now is what I'm going to be building down the road and since I'm still in school money isn't exactly abundant!

But hoping to have the suspension done by the end of next summer and a supercharger the following summer, just received all my skid plates today, so as of now the "armoring" of the truck has been completed!

rippinred
01-09-2011, 10:25 AM
That's awesome man. Sounds like you got a plan for your rig. The supercharger may not be a use choice for me, extra power to break something but someone has to try it. What shocks you gonna go with fo your LT kit? You gonna try to put 37's on too? If so I hope it's not a daily driver. Later.

theduck911
01-09-2011, 12:06 PM
That's awesome man. Sounds like you got a plan for your rig. The supercharger may not be a use choice for me, extra power to break something but someone has to try it. What shocks you gonna go with fo your LT kit? You gonna try to put 37's on too? If so I hope it's not a daily driver. Later.

Thanks, hopefully all works out.

Right now I'm thinking Fox but might just go with Walker Evans since that is what I have on the rear.

And I'm just planning on 35's since I already have my diffs re-geared to 4:56. I think 37's would be overkill for a DD and a lot of $$ on gas.

rippinred
01-09-2011, 12:40 PM
Thanks, hopefully all works out.

Right now I'm thinking Fox but might just go with Walker Evans since that is what I have on the rear.

And I'm just planning on 35's since I already have my diffs re-geared to 4:56. I think 37's would be overkill for a DD and a lot of $$ on gas.
Ya it would be overkill for sure. Although I'm only gonna go to 4.56 gears, haven't really needed lower but 4.88 gears are an option. Your wanting the piggyback fox shocks? I'm really happy with my walker evans shocks so far. Yeah the 37's love gas stations but I'm not real concerned about fuel economy on thus truck. Later

06HAOLE
01-09-2011, 01:10 PM
. Abs is gonna be disconnected by pulling the fuse so that's gonna be nice. Rear axle isn't here yet but it will be shortly, not in a rush as I'll need driveshaft work and such when the transfer case comes.

I pulled the entire ABS module out (for simplicity in the engine bay) and pulled the fuse. The dash light is on now and I need to pull the dash to take out the bulb.

It might be a good idea to keep the module in and pull the fuse to see if that keeps the dash light off. I should have tried that prior to pulling the whole module out.:o

theduck911
01-09-2011, 01:19 PM
Ya it would be overkill for sure. Although I'm only gonna go to 4.56 gears, haven't really needed lower but 4.88 gears are an option. Your wanting the piggyback fox shocks? I'm really happy with my walker evans shocks so far. Yeah the 37's love gas stations but I'm not real concerned about fuel economy on thus truck. Later

Yea, that's what I thought, if you're gunna supercharge it you'd probably be fine with 4:56 but if your not I'd go 4:88

Yea, the Fox shocks that All-Pro carry, and I was thinking about the WE too, save me some $$

rippinred
01-09-2011, 04:07 PM
I pulled the entire ABS module out (for simplicity in the engine bay) and pulled the fuse. The dash light is on now and I need to pull the dash to take out the bulb.

It might be a good idea to keep the module in and pull the fuse to see if that keeps the dash light off. I should have tried that prior to pulling the whole module out.:o
Ya I guess but the light will most likely come on. As far as the light goes I don't care if it's on or not, the tpms has been on for almost 3 yrs now so one more light is not a big deal.

Yea, that's what I thought, if you're gunna supercharge it you'd probably be fine with 4:56 but if your not I'd go 4:88

Yea, the Fox shocks that All-Pro carry, and I was thinking about the WE too, save me some $$
I'm running 3.73 right now and it's not too bad, can't go ultra slow but still made it over and thru everything. Have to really think about what gears I want when I get around to them but for now the 3.73 gears will do. I think the walker evans shocks look better on my rig than the fox ones but that's cause my rig is red. Later

theduck911
01-09-2011, 04:13 PM
I'm running 3.73 right now and it's not too bad, can't go ultra slow but still made it over and thru everything. Have to really think about what gears I want when I get around to them but for now the 3.73 gears will do. I think the walker evans shocks look better on my rig than the fox ones but that's cause my rig is red. Later

Oh wow, I didn't think stock gears would turn 37's too well, but your pics say otherwise! lol

And Yea I noticed the red lower mount on the one photo of your front end, I'd probably go with WE to match the back, and if they can put up to what you probably put them through, they'll be more then enough for me!

rippinred
01-09-2011, 06:06 PM
Oh wow, I didn't think stock gears would turn 37's too well, but your pics say otherwise! lol

And Yea I noticed the red lower mount on the one photo of your front end, I'd probably go with WE to match the back, and if they can put up to what you probably put them through, they'll be more then enough for me!

Ya the pics show me crawling over some stuff but that's minor in comparison to some trails I've taken the truck on, didn't have my camera with me those days. I had the truck climbing sections on 3 wheels and up some pretty steep stuff, to the point I couldn't see anything but blue sky. I'm not nice to my rig, actually I don't care a out my rig is a better way to put it. I'll try stuff and use the pedal to power thru stuff and bounce of rocks and stuff too. I'm pretty set in 4.56 gears as even without the supercharger I'll be able to crawl, oh I have the 6spd manual so my 1st gear is real low which helps. Well keep the rubber Rollin.

theduck911
01-09-2011, 06:16 PM
Ya the pics show me crawling over some stuff but that's minor in comparison to some trails I've taken the truck on, didn't have my camera with me those days. I had the truck climbing sections on 3 wheels and up some pretty steep stuff, to the point I couldn't see anything but blue sky. I'm not nice to my rig, actually I don't care a out my rig is a better way to put it. I'll try stuff and use the pedal to power thru stuff and bounce of rocks and stuff too. I'm pretty set in 4.56 gears as even without the supercharger I'll be able to crawl, oh I have the 6spd manual so my 1st gear is real low which helps. Well keep the rubber Rollin.

Oh that's sweet, hoping to make a trip out west next summer or something after Grad for some fun and hopefully meet up with some guys to go wheelin'
I also have a 6spd so yea that helps a ton in the power department.

rippinred
01-09-2011, 06:30 PM
Oh that's sweet, hoping to make a trip out west next summer or something after Grad for some fun and hopefully meet up with some guys to go wheelin'
I also have a 6spd so yea that helps a ton in the power department.
Ya the 6spd is great but when I get into the rocks I sometimes wish for an automatic so I don't have to deal with the clutch, maybe swap a transmission when I swap in my new 4.0L engine but then I need to get a lot of electrical to make it work.

theduck911
01-09-2011, 06:37 PM
Ya the 6spd is great but when I get into the rocks I sometimes wish for an automatic so I don't have to deal with the clutch, maybe swap a transmission when I swap in my new 4.0L engine but then I need to get a lot of electrical to make it work.

Yea, that's the not so fun part of it took me a little while to get better at it without burning the clutch too much lol

Or you could part out and sell your current rig (selling the LT to me of course) and start a new with an Auto :D:p

rippinred
01-09-2011, 06:43 PM
Yea, that's the not so fun part of it took me a little while to get better at it without burning the clutch too much lol

Or you could part out and sell your current rig (selling the LT to me of course) and start a new with an Auto :D:p
Lol df bot starting over with a new rig. Not too hard to do an auto swap. I found a donar truck with an auto and all the needed electrical. Just swap the entire wiring harness over and put the trans in with the new engine. I already bought a new clutch for my truck so not gonna swap the a different trans. Nice try thou. Later

theduck911
01-09-2011, 06:45 PM
Lol df bot starting over with a new rig. Not too hard to do an auto swap. I found a donar truck with an auto and all the needed electrical. Just swap the entire wiring harness over and put the trans in with the new engine. I already bought a new clutch for my truck so not gonna swap the a different trans. Nice try thou. Later

Haha, yea I've never swapped on a Toyota, but I've done on two mid-90's chevys, not entirely difficult with the right parts.

I figured I'd try lol:rolleyes:

rippinred
01-09-2011, 08:20 PM
A for effort for sure. Lol.

hytenor
01-10-2011, 07:06 PM

regear will take care of that problem ;)

I can't imagine running the stock 3.73s with 37s...even with a SC, LOL :eek:

rippinred
01-10-2011, 08:28 PM
regear will take care of that problem ;)

I can't imagine running the stock 3.73s with 37s...even with a SC, LOL :eek:

I've disliked the manual trans even when the truck was stock. Yes regearing will help but I still would rather an automatic. It's not that bad with 3.73 for the most part, mind you I don't go slow so I think the momentum is helping me thru the tough spots but that also leads to broken parts too. Eventually I'll regear the truck but for now I've lost interest in the truck and would rather focus on my 2008 ford f350 diesel. Kind of hard to stay interested in something when you only see or use it a handful of times a year. The diesel is my daily driver and it's a lot more rewarding when stuff comes together since I can use power more often than I can use a trail rig. Well later

theduck911
01-11-2011, 08:22 PM
A for effort for sure. Lol.

Haha, thanks:p

Everytime I look at this thread and then go see my truck it's like....damn:( lol

rippinred
01-11-2011, 08:30 PM
Haha, thanks:p

Everytime I look at this thread and then go see my truck it's like....damn:( lol

Haha. I like the truck. Looks like it is going up on blocks in 2 days. Regear it with 4.88's and that should cover everything. Oh new RCV axles as I broke one cause of a dimension problem. New ones should be here soon. If I keep breaking the axles I'm gonna SAS it with leaf springs and use the trail gear sas kit. So you might get a LT kit from me. Lol

taco4x4rar
01-11-2011, 08:40 PM
Haha. I like the truck. Looks like it is going up on blocks in 2 days. Regear it with 4.88's and that should cover everything. Oh new RCV axles as I broke one cause of a dimension problem. New ones should be here soon. If I keep breaking the axles I'm gonna SAS it with leaf springs and use the trail gear sas kit. So you might get a LT kit from me. Lol

Meh the trailgear kit isn't the best idea as it is designed for toy width spring perches thus ruling out all but the custom with axles, though I do like their frenched shackle setup.

rippinred
01-11-2011, 08:54 PM
Well it might not be the trail gear kit exactly but something just like it but with our width axle. See how it goes. I really don't want to spend any more cash on this thing. I wish I had a less capable setup so that the trails I do drive were more challenging. This setup will go where ever I point it. That's nice but the trails seem easy that way too. I dunno I've really just lost interest in the truck and want to focus on the other truck of mine, it's way more satisfying. Later

theduck911
01-11-2011, 10:04 PM

That's cool man,

And for sure, if you're gunna sell it I'll take it! lol:)

Hilux_MAX
05-19-2014, 10:48 PM
Bumping this back up.

RIPNRED, any updates to your 37" tyred Taco?

Did you end up SAS'ing or is it still IFS and if IFS hows the front end holding up?

tacosupreme
05-22-2014, 12:27 PM
I can't speak for the OP, but my front end with an ARB is holding up great. The rear end with the Elocker....not so much. I got about 40,000 miles (lots of those are in the dirt) before it popped. Waiting on a fresh third member from ECGS and a used axle for the passenger side. Side gear broke and took out the axle too.
http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e144/woodlogan/304ED74A-3725-4EB4-AB4A-5566FD84C1B2_zpsysqglt5x.jpg (http://s38.photobucket.com/user/woodlogan/media/304ED74A-3725-4EB4-AB4A-5566FD84C1B2_zpsysqglt5x.jpg.html)

rippinred
05-26-2014, 01:02 PM
Front arb is still holding sold and the rear elocker is still going strong. Just changed the wheel bearings for the first time at 85k miles. Not bad.

rippinred
05-26-2014, 01:06 PM
Bumping this back up.

RIPNRED, any updates to your 37" tyred Taco?

Did you end up SAS'ing or is it still IFS and if IFS hows the front end holding up?

It's still ifs and running great. Diesel is taking up the garage so when it's done I'll start on the yota.