: Timing Belt

rivethead242
03-30-2011, 03:19 PM
Getting ready to order up all the parts for doing a timing belt/water pump replacement for my 04 3.4l tacoma. I am hoping to take on this project in the next month or two. I will be following the FSM and information from write-ups (http://www.4x4wire.com/toyota/maintenance/timing_belt/), as I have not done this before. From what I have read this is a fairly simple task to accomplish, just time consuming. This is just a feeler thread to see if anyone with experience would be willing to lend a hand, or if anyone has any interest in learning this with me.

Also, if anyone in the IE area already has the SST(professional or homemade) could I please borrow it? I have the tools necessary to make my own....but figure ill take the easy route first.

sparky
03-31-2011, 01:17 AM
I tackled this last year around this time, John. I'd be glad to lend a hand. You have a stick, right? Who needs that damn tool when you got a stick? I just wedged a big screwdriver in the flywheel. Hit me up when you get a day in mind.

ShowStop
03-31-2011, 01:19 AM
Just give a shout when you do the work. If I'm available I might join the fun.

rivethead242
04-04-2011, 12:22 PM
I tackled this last year around this time, John. I'd be glad to lend a hand. You have a stick, right? Who needs that damn tool when you got a stick? I just wedged a big screwdriver in the flywheel. Hit me up when you get a day in mind.
Yup i have a mt. I was thinking about doing that as well, but after reading how much torque is required to break it free....im worried about tweaking something by doing that????

Thanks mike and tyler for chiming in. Ill update this as soon as all the parts get in and ready to tackle the job. I am thinking about going with this (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Toyota-4Runner-V6-Timing-Belt-Water-Pump-Kit-3-4L-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQfitsZYearQ3a2004Q7cMakeQ3aToyot aQ7cModelQ3aTacomaQQhashZitem2c59fd1d12QQitemZ1904 88321298QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccess ories) package. Seems to have everything I need including new belts all around. Anything I am missing, or you guys recommend doing as well while I am in there?

ShowStop
04-04-2011, 02:00 PM
Hopefully you get the new style pump that uses the metal gasket. Might want to ask about that.

MotoDave
04-04-2011, 05:43 PM
I'll be doing the timing belt in my '96 T100 soon, I just got all the parts in from http://www.toyotapartscheap.com/, who are actually a Toyota dealer down in San Diego. Came to ~380 for the belt, both idlers, tensioner and water pump (new style with metal gasket). I've got 190k miles, and have no idea what other than the belt was last replaced, so I figure I'll get everything while I'm in there.

I'm planning to make the SST if I feel I need it (one of the perks to having a welder and fab tools).

sparky
04-04-2011, 10:46 PM
You guys might want to think about replacing all the seals while you're in there. I couldn't get to mine due to a time issue and now I'm regretting it. My pass. side cam seal is leaking now. Just a thought.

Scuba
04-04-2011, 10:57 PM
I can come supervise :D

sparky
04-05-2011, 01:31 AM
I can come drink beer :D

fixed :D

Scuba
04-05-2011, 01:36 AM
fixed :D

:lmao:

You read my mind.

rivethead242
04-12-2011, 02:05 PM
The kit has been ordered (yes it does have the newer metal style gasket). Should be here pretty soon seeing as how it is shipping from Laguna. Do you guys have a preference as to which weekend will be good for you?

Scuba
04-12-2011, 03:09 PM
The kit has been ordered (yes it does have the newer metal style gasket). Should be here pretty soon seeing as how it is shipping from Laguna. Do you guys have a preference as to which weekend will be good for you?

This weekend. I'll be out of town next weekend :D

ShowStop
04-12-2011, 05:04 PM
Next month. I'm busy for the rest of April. Try me on May 7 or 8th. :D

sparky
04-12-2011, 06:25 PM
I'm out of town this weekend. Anything after that for the next couple of months, I think I'm good.

Scuba
04-12-2011, 06:49 PM
Well, if we ain't wrenching this weekend.. lets go wheel. Cougar buttes anyone?

rivethead242
04-12-2011, 07:42 PM
Counting on it being here this weekend might be pushing it. So how about the 30th? Sound good Mike and Steve? Don't worry Tyler, you aren't left out....I will be back to swindle you with beer again as the clutch will be ordered up next pay check :D

Cougar Buttes it is!

ShowStop
04-13-2011, 12:45 AM
Don't worry Tyler, you aren't left out....I will be back to swindle you with beer again as the clutch will be ordered up next pay check :D
Ahhh....in that case, I'll pass on this wrenching contest. Let me know when the clutch job is on the schedule.

j-money$$$
04-13-2011, 11:43 AM
Good luck with that timing belt job. You can get a pretty good deal on a clutch through trail gear right now. If you use the 15% off code. JFYI that way you dont pay more later. (I just bought one)

rivethead242
04-13-2011, 11:55 AM
Good luck with that timing belt job. You can get a pretty good deal on a clutch through trail gear right now. If you use the 15% off code. JFYI that way you dont pay more later. (I just bought one)

Cool, thanks for the heads up Jason.

j-money$$$
04-13-2011, 11:35 PM
Cool, thanks for the heads up Jason.

Ya no problemo. there is a 15% off everything for the month code and 20% for all items in the new item section. I talked to WabFab and he said that getting asin clutches is hard since the disaster in Japan. GLAD TG HAD THEM IN STOCK

rivethead242
04-14-2011, 12:31 PM
That isn't reassuring for me. I don't get paid until the end of the month. Need to get on the horn with TG to see if they can still cut me a similar deal. Hopefully I don't have too many issues hunting down a clutch.....Rubicon won't be fun with a worn clutch!

Back on topic. Everything for the Timing belt/water pump has arrived. Oh and sparky, it came with crankshaft seals as well. Thanks guys for the heads up on both of those items recommended. As always, greatly appreciated. I will still shoot to tackle this project on the 30th. To reiterate, anyone is welcome to join. Whether you just want to learn from my mistakes along the way, or if you have experience and want to lend a hand.

MotoDave
04-14-2011, 02:04 PM
I'll probably be doing mine this weekend, so if I come up with anything tricky I'll keep note and let you know.

rivethead242
04-14-2011, 04:26 PM
I'll probably be doing mine this weekend, so if I come up with anything tricky I'll keep note and let you know.

Cool deal. Thanks and good luck!