TTORA Forum banner

if you wheel, not the mall, but actually wheel

3K views 24 replies 20 participants last post by  DarkCloud23 
#1 ·
you need one of these

i was reading the newest ORA mag and stumbled on a product being pimped. normally i just thumb through the mag, but this promotion made sense and something i SHOULD HAVE and i dont....
http://www.safetyseal.com/store/offroad.htm

its 40 bucks and it will get you home in a pinch...i just ordered a set for me and thought about how many people i wheel with that dont have the proper tire repair kits....bad idea.... for 40 bucks to get me home if i trash my spare....not everyone has my tire size on the trail, its well worth it

#3 ·
That's the exact kit that my dealership uses to plug tires. I have tons of experience with it, and my parts people keep saying how good something like that is to have in your vehicle at all times.

I'll have to find one locally.

#5 ·
nah those kits are cool, but you can get the same thing cept not as nice a handle from any vatozone for 5-10 bucks

#7 ·
drabnor said:
nah those kits are cool, but you can get the same thing cept not as nice a handle from any vatozone for 5-10 bucks
I have seen them at AutoZone also, and wondered if they worked, but for 10 bucks you can't go wrong, it beats spending money on a tow truck.

#13 ·
pretty sure i got mine at wal-mart. just get the t handle ones instead of the regular (screwdriver type) handles. ive used mine a pretty good lot for my tires as well as lending a helping hand to others and they work very well... on occasion the plugs will leak, but just pulling it out, reaming the hole again and putting a new plug in has always worked. had a gash in a 33 sidewall about 1.5 - 2 in. long and stuffed 8 plugs in it and it got me where i needed to go (2.5 hrs of driving) i drove slow, but got me home no problem and still had air in it next morning. of course some had leaked, but still impressive and got me home where i had another set of tires to put on there... :)

#14 ·
drabnor said:
the tools in the $39 kit are better quality, by alot lol

but for an emergency, the $10 one works
the box is $30 :p

#15 ·
Same exact thing at Kragen/vatozone/pepboys. My brothers friend had an old Datsun 510, and just to get it to the tire shop, he used that. Had a big ol nail in it and was losing air fast.

So got that and did it real quick. Doesn't take long at all. Id didnt lose any air after, he decided not to get it fixed at all.

Some people say that you do feel more vibrations (big clump doesnt help out with balancing)

#16 ·
NorcalPR said:
Same exact thing at Kragen/vatozone/pepboys. My brothers friend had an old Datsun 510, and just to get it to the tire shop, he used that. Had a big ol nail in it and was losing air fast.

So got that and did it real quick. Doesn't take long at all. Id didnt lose any air after, he decided not to get it fixed at all.

Some people say that you do feel more vibrations (big clump doesnt help out with balancing)
Who really belives their wheels are balanced????? :D Bumpabumpabumpa goes the freeway ride...........bent rims and all...

#17 · (Edited)
YUNADERIS said:
you need one of these

i was reading the newest ORA mag and stumbled on a product being pimped. normally i just thumb through the mag, but this promotion made sense and something i SHOULD HAVE and i dont....

its 40 bucks and it will get you home in a pinch...i just ordered a set for me and thought about how many people i wheel with that dont have the proper tire repair kits....bad idea.... for 40 bucks to get me home if i trash my spare....not everyone has my tire size on the trail, its well worth it
Safety Seal is an industrial kit. I work in a landfill (Dump) and we used these on a regular basis. They are 100 % stronger than the Walmart/Autozone crap. (which we tried and went through tons of them). They have hardened steel tips and both the tips on the rasper/reamer and insertion tool are replaceable. If you're pluggin' holes at say 10 per day it is worth the investment. For the average user it would last a life time.. The cheaper ones have a much shorter life... Maybe about 20 to 25 plugs and then they are worn out...(But I've broken or bent them after only a few uses as well) Usually the rasper/reamer goes to crap first. But for off roading they would not replace carrying spare tires as the damage to a tire offroad is not usually the same as picking up nails and other debris off the streets... Unless of course some fanatic throws nails on the trail to harrass the folk who use them... Oh and these can't repair sidewall punctures, except maybe long enough for you to get to flat ground to change the tire. And they do not seal slits/cuts either... just punctures... in the tread areas and nothing bigger than say 1/4 inch. On bigger punctures I have double and even tripled the plugs but they don't usually hold air long. So It really is a better Mall Tool than an off roaders tool... Just my experience... with probably several hundred plugs installed under my belt...

#18 ·
We use that exact kit at my dealership and it has held up for about 4 years with everday use by about 20 techs.Lets see some bargain BS from VatoZone do that!I have always said don't skimp on the tools or it will bite u in the Arssss!

#19 ·
The $10 Walmart kit worked great on the first 2 flats we got on this car, but this flat sunk the Armata in Baja. Stupid @ss Continental tires. Also killed the jack......No flats on my Taco though!

#21 ·
Ive hadthe cheap one from walmart and fixed 4 tiresin the past year or so . none of them have leaked. The expensive one is just 40 dollars you dont have. Def. has saved my ass when i was winter camping in alaska. got a stick through my 35" at the end of my trail. So i asy the cheap walmart one but the one with the case is nice if you want to spend the $$$. just my 2 :2cents:

#22 ·
ScoTaco said:
We use that exact kit at my dealership and it has held up for about 4 years with everday use by about 20 techs.Lets see some bargain BS from VatoZone do that!I have always said don't skimp on the tools or it will bite u in the Arssss!
hahaha! i work at a toyota dealership and all my tools are matco except my tire plug kit which i got at wally-world cause i needed one asap. well i believe in quality tools are better but they cheapy has lasted me forever! even after all the use.

#23 ·
$40 is for the suckers....i've used a plasic handle one at my buddies shop and they use it constanly, it worked no problem. they also had a broken plasic handle one with a welded metal handle to it....its better to buy a plasic handle one and break it to weld a metal handle to it...that tool is not worth 40 bucks.....

#24 ·
You can buy the cheap crap at Auto Zone but I can attest that this is by far the best plug repair kit available. The kit contains Billet Handeled tools and the plugs are a Red Poly-like material that's tuff as hell-not the rubber shit at Wal-Mart. Basic common sense shit like "you get what you pay for". All by buddies at the Dunes (Glamis) carry these kits for their $5,000 Sand Rail Paddle Tires. Nuff said?

#25 ·
YUNADERIS said:
you need one of these

Good find. The handle looks better than the one's at autozone. I have the autozone handle type, not the screwdriver type. Looking at this one, it looks like you would have a better grip, and plus its package all nicely.

I might pick me up one of these.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.