: Welcome To Texas

spaldam
10-01-2005, 03:42 PM
I just moved her from Utah this last week where I used to be the Webmaster for the Utah TTORA chapter. I'm currently living in Azle, but have an apartment waiting to be ready to be moved into next week in the White Settlement area. I'm also looking for a job in the Fort Worth area, and possibly even the Dallas area. I've been doing UNIX administration with my specialty in Data Backup and Disaster Recovery, but right now I'm open to just about anything that I'm capable of doing that will provide some income. I'm also looking at possibly going back to school to finish my bachelorís degree, or possibly to obtain another certification. So if you know of any good schools or jobs in the area that would be helpful.

Other then that, where's all the good wheeling around here? Are any of you planning to go to the Moab takeover this weekend?

AK98Taco
10-01-2005, 04:21 PM
Good to hear that you got to TX safe, Seth!

Stop by the UT board once in a while, okay?

LAW
10-01-2005, 04:31 PM
welcome, there is a few places to go wheeling arround here.. texas takeover at the end of the month will be at barnwell mountan ohv park, another is brazos valley but it just has some good hill climbs without rocks. theese are the only two parks that i have been to arround here but there are many more that i coulndt really give deatils about
http://www.tacomaterritory.com/~law116/pictures/
look arround in my pictures from some of my trips to theese parks to get a good idea of what they are like

tbplus10
10-01-2005, 09:49 PM
Welcome to Fort Worth.
Legal 4X4 areas near Fort Worth are Mineral Wells, and Marshall Creek. Either is about 35-40 minutes from you. Marshall Creek is off I-35 near the Texas Motor Speedway, cost $5 to get in, its a large mud pit. Mineral Wells is an old Army base in Mineral Wells TX. Off I-20 towards Abilene, with lots of trails and some hill climbs.
Gilmer (Barnwell Mountain OHV Park) is a 3-3.5 hr drive east on I-20, good 4 wheeling.
Lots of people will tell you about a spot behind Albertson's in Benbrook, unless you like to pay trespassing tickets I dont recommended going. Also there are a few spots off 820 near Lake Worth same as Benbrook, FTW police have no problem arresting you if they catch you wheeling in these area's.
Couple local members live not far from you. Most DFW members are in Arlington, Grand Prarie, Carrolton, and Coppell.
For your job field you'll have more luck in the Plano area. FTW isnt a booming place for jobs right now.
For school the only recomendable school would be Tarrant County Community College. Two other members are going there now (not sure which campus) and I've taken a few courses there in the past. Ok school but I dont know what they offer in your particular field.
DFW TTORA meets at Hooters in Arlington by the Ball Park the first Saturday of every month (tonight).

Tim

Marcopolo
10-01-2005, 11:25 PM
Welcome to Texas. Make plans to come to Texas Take Over, that will be a good place to meet a lot of us. Canít help you with a job I am in Houston, but if you need anything else let us know. :D

TomTRD
10-02-2005, 02:37 AM
Welcome to TX. Sorry can't help you on the job front since IT is dieing in my company. Like others have said, try to goto the TX-TakeOver event at the end of October, it'll be a blast!

Valkyrie
10-02-2005, 07:15 AM
Welcome to Texas! Sorry we missed you last night. Tim forgot to mention AGR- The Wheelin' Ranch just about 90 minutes north near Nocona.

There are a lot of active clubs in the area, must guys belong to one or two. Looking forward to meeting you, hopefully before takeover!

tech96
10-02-2005, 08:38 PM
I just moved her from Utah this last week where I used to be the Webmaster for the Utah TTORA chapter. I'm currently living in Azle, but have an apartment waiting to be ready to be moved into next week in the White Settlement area. I'm also looking for a job in the Fort Worth area, and possibly even the Dallas area. I've been doing UNIX administration with my specialty in Data Backup and Disaster Recovery, but right now I'm open to just about anything that I'm capable of doing that will provide some income. I'm also looking at possibly going back to school to finish my bachelorís degree, or possibly to obtain another certification. So if you know of any good schools or jobs in the area that would be helpful.

Other then that, where's all the good wheeling around here? Are any of you planning to go to the Moab takeover this weekend?

Welcome to Texas. I moved here 3 years ago from Nor. Cal. my aunt lives in Salt Lake, beutiful country. I work for Black Box Network Services and most of the technical business is in the Dallas and Plano areas. We don't do a whole lot of cabling and fiber in the Ft. Worth area.

Bill

jon_7248
10-03-2005, 08:01 AM

If your looking for a job, have you heard of Rackspace? I work there right now and have for almost three years now. If you goto rackspace.com or rackspacecareers.com you can find more info about it. Or heck, just drop me a line. We are located between Grapevine and SouthLake.

spaldam
10-03-2005, 10:30 AM
Thanks for the welcome everyone. I guess I need to convince my wife that we should live further north east, but she really likes these brand new apartments she found of the south west 820 loop area (close to I-30).

I'll defiantly put the Texas Takeover on my calendar, but I won't likely make it out to anything until we get settled in a bit more, and possibly not until I can get some kind of a job somewhere.

Again, thanks for the welcomes, and I look forward to meeting all of you.

equin
10-04-2005, 02:58 PM
Welcome to TX!

TacoJumper
10-04-2005, 11:16 PM
Welcome to TEXAS!

Valkyrie
10-05-2005, 07:45 AM
I'll defiantly put the Texas Takeover on my calendar, but I won't likely make it out to anything until we get settled in a bit more, and possibly not until I can get some kind of a job somewhere.
There will be empty seats coming over from DFW if you need to save some cash. Let me know... there may even be somebody making a day run for Saturday.

I'm trying to strip away every excuse for you... :D

spaldam
10-05-2005, 08:51 AM
There will be empty seats coming over from DFW if you need to save some cash. Let me know... there may even be somebody making a day run for Saturday.

I could actually use something to do this Saturday since my wife will be out of town, and I don't want to get left with my crazy nephews. Of course if the apartment were trying to get into finally finishes their new building I might actually get to be moving in this weekend.

Marcopolo
10-05-2005, 08:52 AM

If that doesnít work try the bandwagon approach. EVERYBODY IS DOING IT! haha :D

spaldam
10-27-2005, 09:12 PM
We'll we just got settled into an apartment on the west side of Fort Worth, so my wife could be closer to her brother's house, and now I just got a job in Plano. That's an hour commute each way. How fun for me. :P Anyway, our apartment complex said we can transfer the lease to another complex, under the same management company, in Plano, as soon as one's available, which is looking like mid-December. So we get to move everything, again, but then I'll only be about 10 minutes from work.

I'd love to come out this weekend for the Halloween thing, but I've got to much to do to get the truck ready for the long commutes, and make sure all the loose ends are tied up before I'm too busy working all day and commuting all evening.

Along those lines, can anyone tell me what it takes to get a vehicle registered in Texas that hasnít ever been before? Also, should I register it now, or wait until I get moved to Plano, or does it even matter? If I register it now, will I have to re- register it once Iím in Plano?

Spacecwboy
10-27-2005, 09:58 PM
sorry you cant make it out this weekend, it would be great to have some more new Texas members out. As far as registering goes, I personally would wait. You would have to pay reg fee's 2 times and all that jazz. The Great State of Texas would love for you to do that! I would wait though. When you get settled in just take your insurance card, title (or proof of ownership) to the courthouse (or wherever they do it there) and pay the little lady whatever the fee is.

tbplus10
10-27-2005, 10:49 PM
I registered all my vehicles in Texas last year after moving from Norfolk Va. 3 years earlier (Virginia has two year registrations for $40 for military so I kept it as long as I could get away with it). You'll need a state inspection, Texas insurance card, current state registration card, and if I remember correctly about $200 for the transfer fee and first years license.
You can license them now or wait as long as 90 days if your current registration is up to date. When I moved a few months back I went to change the address on my registration and they told me to save the fee's and wait until I renewed my registration.

Gregoma
11-08-2005, 08:53 PM
You can go wheeling at highway 360 and trinity. I am going saturday 11-12-05 with some other trucks.

spaldam
11-08-2005, 09:07 PM
I'd love to, but I got to get my truck all fixed and maintained this Saturday. Stupid allighnment and oil changes. :|

Stubb444
11-08-2005, 09:18 PM
You can go wheeling at highway 360 and trinity. I am going saturday 11-12-05 with some other trucks.

You might want to check, but last time I heard it was illegal to wheel there anymore.

Valkyrie
11-08-2005, 10:09 PM
You might want to check, but last time I heard it was illegal to wheel there anymore.
You are correct Chris, it is illegal. If you don't have the express written permission of the landowner you are wide open to get busted.

Mostly out there it seems like either high school posers pretending to wheel, drug users & dealers hanging out and gangs stripping cars... no real wheeling, but plenty of law breaking danger if someone is so inclined.

equin
11-09-2005, 12:25 AM
Chris is right. It's illegal to wheel in the area known as "360". I used to wheel there several years ago not knowing it was illegal, and yes, there are some really good wheeling spots in there, especially down by the river on the east side of 360, but unfortunately, it's illegal. You may get a ticket, then again, you might not. The City of Arlington at one time didn't care to enforce it, but after a bunch of drunken high schoolers were caught there, a bunch of stolen cars where chopped up there, a bunch of drug use going on in there, and a bunch of illegal dumping, the city had enough and decided to enforce trespassing laws. That was at least 2 or 3 years ago, so I don't know how much enforcement goes on now, but it definitely isn't worth the risk.

If you want to go wheeling, better to go with Chris and the Toyota Trail Riders group this weekend in Nocona, about 1.5-2 hours from Dallas. You have to pay to get in, but at least it's legal and you help keep one of the few legal wheeling spots open.

spaldam
11-11-2005, 05:15 PM
Humm... Someone needs to buy that land and turn it into a 4x4ing park. I bet they could make a bunch of money off it since it would be so close to home for so many people. . . . . I need an investor....

Stubb444
11-11-2005, 07:11 PM
Humm... Someone needs to buy that land and turn it into a 4x4ing park. I bet they could make a bunch of money off it since it would be so close to home for so many people. . . . . I need an investor....

Not as much as they are going to make developing it.

cedarbarn
11-12-2005, 10:20 AM
Here is an Aerial Photo of 360. As you can see the trails are close to the river.

If the landowner is going to develop the area, they will have to pay for a SWPPP (storm water pollution prevention plan). It is a Federal, State, County, and City requirement to do so. They will have to follow the plan to prevent any silt erosion into the waterways.

Their SWPPP measures will be inspected. If they are out of compliance (erosion into the river) they can be fined heavily.

Wheeling in this area is irresponsible, and what I gather from the above posts is Illegal. I drive past this area frequently, there are trails visible from the highway, very close to the river. Any rain on these trails will cause siltation into the river.

I work for a home builder. I am the individual responsible for contacting an engineer to design the SWPPP, implementing the SWPPP, and check our SWPPP measures on a weekly basis. I can tell you that it is a pain in the ass, without any illegal wheeling going on!!

http://images.snapfish.com/3454%3A43523232%7Ffp7%3Enu%3D3262%3E379%3E4%3A7%3E WSNRCG%3D3232%3C%3B%3B574329nu0mrj

Stubb444
11-12-2005, 02:28 PM
Here is an Aerial Photo of 360. As you can see the trails are close to the river.

That's all that is left. I remember back in '86 when I rode motorcyles there. The trail were from Trinity to Riverside. There was nothing out there. How thing change after 20 years.