: Rocky Gap last Sunday

Scot45
06-27-2011, 07:40 PM
CRC (Chuck) and I went up Rocky Gap the backside last Sunday. Just wanted to give a heads up to everyone. The trail has changed significantly. Several times I actually found myself wondering if we were on the right trail. The rain really washed it out and it is far more challenging. Enough so I'd highly recommend stock do not do it unless they have some armor as a minimum.

A stock FJ or Rubicon will make it, but get sloppy and you will jack up a rim or hit a quarter panel. I used to do Rocky Gap in 4Hi the whole way. Not this time. I spent the majority of time in 4Lo with the center diff locked and still got stuck. Granted I was leading, the trail was new and I'm notorious for picking the crappiest lines. Never the less, it is a much more challenging trail. I pulled out two fullsize trucks on the red rock side who got stock in the super soft rock/gravel that has fallen down the mountain.

For the first time on this trail, I was stacking rocks. A lot of rocks. It was fun, but I would not go it alone, and I'd make sure to have a full set of recovery gear. I took a bad line and was a few seconds away from winching out until Chuck was able to spot me through. It was obvious a lot of trucks had been through there spinning out and digging holes. I trashed all four rims but who cares, they are painted stock rims and some day I will buy aftermarket rims. I will say thank god I have Budbuilt skids.

It was still a blast and I will post up when we go back, I want to run it down hill from the Red Rock side. Plan on maybe this Saturday or Sunday.

sidewaystaco
06-27-2011, 08:12 PM
Sounds like you had a good time
Any pics?
If you need rims I have the stock factory rims and a set of aftermarket rims in
My garage...... Come get them and their yours. I would post pics but im on my iPod and I can't figure out how to post pics from it
Both sets are 6 lug 5.5.... Don't ask about offset:D

If you want to make a donation they are gladly accepted :D:D:D

Ludedude
06-27-2011, 09:45 PM
Scot, a bunch of us ran that at night a few weeks ago. It was interesting to say the least and definitely different than it was before the Winter.

my034runner
06-28-2011, 09:14 AM
Yeah, try doing it at night!!! It was FUN!!!! Had a great time on the night run!!! And don't think we ever stacked rocks or did any recovery!!!

Pictures???? :confused::confused:

Scot45
06-28-2011, 11:31 AM
Sounds like you had a good time
Any pics?
If you need rims I have the stock factory rims and a set of aftermarket rims in
My garage...... Come get them and their yours. I would post pics but im on my iPod and I can't figure out how to post pics from it
Both sets are 6 lug 5.5.... Don't ask about offset:D

If you want to make a donation they are gladly accepted :D:D:D

Awesome thanks! I'll take the stock rims and make a charitable donstion

sidewaystaco
06-28-2011, 11:40 AM
No problem
What side of town are you on and what time...Today works for me after
4:00
Tyson

DWreck
06-28-2011, 04:31 PM
No problem
Tyson

I'd like to see what kind of aftermarket rims you have! Can you text me a picture? If so, I'll PM you my number...

sidewaystaco
06-28-2011, 04:44 PM
Pic sent

Scot45
06-28-2011, 06:31 PM
No problem
Tyson

Summerlin...but in jury duty all week long..:(

sidewaystaco
06-28-2011, 06:34 PM
No problem
Let me know when you want to pick them up!
Tyson

DWreck
06-28-2011, 08:19 PM
No problem
Let me know when you want to pick them up!
Tyson

Thanks for those rims Tyson! Hell of a deal!

sidewaystaco
06-28-2011, 09:12 PM
Thanks for those rims Tyson! Hell of a deal!

No problem..... Just collecting dust in the garage. But to nice to just throw away:D

my034runner
06-29-2011, 01:24 PM
Okay guys......now that the rim situation is done, lets get this thread back on topic!!! :xofftopic

Scot and Chucks Rocky Gap day run!!! :D

:worthless